• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sport coat

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What attributes would help to make a sport coat look more modern & for the lack of a better word, metropolitan?

Can one use tweed or would this be too much like a hacking/hunting jacket?

I'm thinking a dark lightweight fabric with no to minimal pattern coupled with a relatively fitted cut w/ double vent would be a good framework to achieve the goal.

What colors would be best for:
1) charcoal trousers
2) navy trousers

any comments / opinions / suggestions / rants / raves would be appreciated. thanks

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get a DB SC.

Based on your proposed fabric choices, I'd be worried it'd look like half a suit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
What attributes would help to make a sport coat look more modern & for the lack of a better word, metropolitan?

- padded, pagoda shoulders with roping

- suppressed waist

- closed, squared quarters

- MiracleGro sprinkled on certain features: number of sleeve buttons, size of pocket flaps, width of lapel buttonhole, width of lapels, price

- ponytailed master tailor

- bitchin' ad campaign featuring fine bitches

- B

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
- padded, pagoda shoulders with roping

- suppressed waist

- closed, squared quarters

- MiracleGro sprinkled on certain features: number of sleeve buttons, size of pocket flaps, width of lapel buttonhole, width of lapels, price

- ponytailed master tailor

- bitchin' ad campaign featuring fine bitches

- B

lol8[1].gif

i love this community - always great wit

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Just get a DB SC.

Based on your proposed fabric choices, I'd be worried it'd look like half a suit.

perhaps a large check fabric could help... and light but not suit light fabric

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perhaps a large check fabric could help... and light but not suit light fabric

I have a fairly large check DB sportcoat- Warning, it's an acquired taste. The fuzzy plains out of the Moonbeam book are nice and don't look like suiting.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an enormous topic which a lot of people should contribute to. I think people led very different lives and wore sports jackets for specific purposes, many of them outdoors at a time before suburbs or hanging out at chic bars. As a consequence the country colors associated with the sports jacket have held on for far too long. A camouflage which works in the country but looks clueless in urban environments. This is one of the reasons that in recent years Barbour started making their jackets in blues and blacks; the traditional green looked too affected for the city. And I think because the colors were too rustic, the sports jacket was dying until the idea of wearing them with jeans saved them. Many men preferred to wear a dark suit out to a jacket that made them look like a professor. But there is a demand for sports jackets in greys, blues and other color combinations that make them more city. Harrisons Moonbeam fabric book in Alpaca/lambswool is a test market in this direction. I think you could still wear tweed but get it in black, grey, navy, grey-blue rather than brown or green. I have a couple of tweed pieces I would wear more if I had gotten them in those colors rather than opting for the "traditional" greens and browns. Modern jackets ask for minamilism. Less details and, generally speaking, lighter weight, finer/smoother and more luxurious. Cashmeres, silks, silk-cashmere blends etc... You could even bring back some of the old university stripes on odd jackets which were "lost" for a while. Stripes on cashmeres, tweeds and cloths like lambswool. Some old fashioned patterns work in carefully arranged colors. I have a cashmere, houndstooth jacket from zegna fabric in a high contrast of yellow, cream, navy and dark brown. The brighter contrast makes it more "modern" than it would be if it were more muted and less fine.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously, for what you are describing, check out the Harrisons Millionaire's Cashmere book. It isn't what I would choose, but for citified sportcoats that are not boring, you really can't do a lot better.

Also, throw away the blue pants.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This is an enormous topic which a lot of people should contribute to.

I think people led very different lives and wore sports jackets for specific purposes, many of them outdoors at a time before suburbs or hanging out at chic bars. As a consequence the country colors associated with the sports jacket have held on for far too long. A camouflage which works in the country but looks clueless in urban environments. This is one of the reasons that in recent years Barbour started making their jackets in blues and blacks; the traditional green looked too affected for the city.

And I think because the colors were too rustic, the sports jacket was dying until the idea of wearing them with jeans saved them. Many men preferred to wear a dark suit out to a jacket that made them look like a professor. But there is a demand for sports jackets in greys, blues and other color combinations that make them more city. Harrisons Moonbeam fabric book in Alpaca/lambswool is a test market in this direction.

I think you could still wear tweed but get it in black, grey, navy, grey-blue rather than brown or green. I have a couple of tweed pieces I would wear more if I had gotten them in those colors rather than opting for the "traditional" greens and browns.

Modern jackets ask for minamilism. Less details and, generally speaking, lighter weight, finer/smoother and more luxurious. Cashmeres, silks, silk-cashmere blends etc...

You could even bring back some of the old university stripes on odd jackets which were "lost" for a while. Stripes on cashmeres, tweeds and cloths like lambswool.

Some old fashioned patterns work in carefully arranged colors. I have a cashmere, houndstooth jacket from zegna fabric in a high contrast of yellow, cream, navy and dark brown. The brighter contrast makes it more "modern" than it would be if it were more muted and less fine.

Great input - you definately understand what I was thinking & trying to articulate with this thread. Thanks

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is wrong w/ dark navy trousers?
Odd navy pants, at least in wools, have been associated with workmen (Think old skool gas station attendants) and are considered "tasteless". Part of this is because they emulate the suit trouser too closely and part of it is because they didn't go with the traditional country colors of the sports jacket. As far as i know, navy cotton corduroys and navy linen pants were an exception.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Odd navy pants, at least in wools, have been associated with workmen (Think old skool gas station attendants) and are considered "tasteless". Part of this is because they emulate the suit trouser too closely and part of it is because they didn't go with the traditional country colors of the sports jacket.

As far as i know, navy cotton corduroys and navy linen pants were an exception.

I see. What are better colors for the city office environment when not wearing a suit?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see. What are better colors for the city office environment when not wearing a suit?
Lots of gray, maybe some tan, maybe some brown. The other problem with navy pants is that they look like **** most of the time, and with most things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads