• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes handling for dry fingers

montyharding

Reaction score
Weird question maybe, but I have a problem in this respect especially with fine fabrics. I work by myself often, and I wash my hands quite often as I alternate between a lot of different modes of working in the course of a day - working at a computer, operating machinery, working in a clean-room, etc. The clean-room and the computer room is a bit of a killer as both are kept very dry and cool, and the basement storage / secure area is also a killer to the skin as it's coooold and I can't practically work with gloves. In winter, this means I'm constantly nursing rough hands, even if they look OK from a distance. I use hand cream but it never seems to be enough to keep rough fingers at bay. My naturally dry skin probably doesn't help. The problem comes when wearing silk, or other finer fabrics when I have to go out - it's quite often that ties, etc get 'hung up' on my fingers, and after a while of this handling you can see the threads coming away fluffily from the main body of the fabric. It's different to regular abrasive wear & tear since the 'attack' by the fingers is much more pinpointed - so I guess the more immediate damage to the fabric. Apart from donning latex gloves or other impracticals, what would you suggest for the gravelly of hand? Or is there any super-duty, super-quick-acting, super-rapid-absorption hand cream you can suggest? EDIT: I'm really sorry - this is my second post in the wrong area (or is it - it's kind of a formal clothing question, but I wonder if it should be under Body Consciousness)! I just hit Post after reading threads
redface.gif
Could a moderator move it please?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've the same issue. I just have to keep up with hand creams- I've tried the various types. Those that are for the most severe dry skin always take the longest to absorb.

I've gone back to a cheap lotion lately that works OK for me.
"Jergens Ultra Healing".

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wash my hands around 30-40 times a day and I used to get nervous every time I touched a tie. The best thing I've found is Aquafor - which is greasy on your hands for about 5 minutes and then it disappears. It lasts for a while as well.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I wash my hands around 30-40 times a day and I used to get nervous every time I touched a tie. The best thing I've found is Aquafor - which is greasy on your hands for about 5 minutes and then it disappears. It lasts for a while as well.

That's what my wife uses. But when I am at work the greasiness drives me batty (on the keyboard, my phone...)

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the various Curel formulas and have found that the best method for absorption is using it sparingly and working it in with good ole elbow grease.

Even so I do not run my hands up and down garments for that very reason and instead just pick them up gently.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With apologies to the Brittish, Aveda has a product called "Hand Relief" that works well.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this problem as well and I use Udder Cream, and also a paraffin wax hand dip. I use the cream during the day, and when I get home I use the paraffin wax. Both work for me quite well. The udder cream also soaks in very quickly...a big plus.

montyharding

Reaction score
I've been hearing quite a lot about Udderly Smooth cream. I think I'll give it a try.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this problem all of a sudded because I was curing a lot of salmon and touching salt all day. Strange but true.

I use Curel products as mentioned, I really like their formula and they have a non-scented version which I buy repeatedly. Use lotion, and don't smell like it.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds, I have heard of guys wearing gloves with thick hand cream to bed, to soften dry cracked skin and prevent hangnails. How desperate are you?

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I avoid certain weaves of ties because they tend to get fluffy with my scaly hands faster. Also +1 on Curel fragrance free. I use this on fresh tattoos so I tend to have the big dispensers sitting around. If I apply it to my hands like 5 minutes before I tie my tie, it doesn't snag on the silk nearly as much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads