• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caught in a weight loss / buy new clothes stalemate.

bob99

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm currently 25 lbs overweight (5'11", 200 lbs - I should probably weigh about 175) and I'm exercising, eating healthy, and ready to lose the weight.

Does it make sense to hold off on buying "stylish" or higher-end clothes until the desired goal is achieved? On one hand, I don't want to throw a lot of money at clothes that aren't going to fit in six months. On the other hand, I don't want to just give up on style.

Anyone else who has coped with this, your input would be appreciated!

Bob

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Don't get bespoke suits, but a few medium shirts won't really change.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob99
Hello everyone!

I'm currently 25 lbs overweight (5'11", 200 lbs - I should probably weigh about 175) and I'm exercising, eating healthy, and ready to lose the weight.

Does it make sense to hold off on buying "stylish" or higher-end clothes until the desired goal is achieved? On one hand, I don't want to throw a lot of money at clothes that aren't going to fit in six months. On the other hand, I don't want to just give up on style.

Bob

Honestly Bob-o, how fast you reckon this transformation will happen, if its gonna happen.
25 pounds is a ton of weight to lose even in 6 months.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Good diet you loose 2 pounds a week.

25/2=12
12/4=3 months

6 months is fine too.

boo

Reaction score
I was in this position...IIRC, I had lost 30-40lbs over about 6-7 months. In my experience, there were noticeable changes in clothing fits at approximately every 10-15 lbs or so. Given your 25lb goal, I'd hold off on buying stuff for now (or at least buy cheap stuff that you won't have a problem tossing), treat yourself to some new clothes after losing 12.5 lbs or so. At this time you can start buying new clothes but will still be able to alter your existing wardrobe for a decent fit, preventing you from having to start shopping from scratch. When you reach your 25lb goal, You can again start buying new clothes, alter the new clothes you bought at -12.5 lbs, and proudly toss your old clothes away! Before going crazy on custom shirts/suits with super-suppressed waists, try to get a sense of how stable your weight will be at 175. Hopefully, you'll be able to maintain it, if not lose more. In my experience, I went back to a crappy diet, but made up for it by running 30+ miles a week. Unfortunately, I found I had less time for running due to work demands, but still kept on junk food. Before I knew it, I'm back up 10-15 lbs
frown.gif

ethan777

Reaction score
I was in a similar position too. I am 5'11" as well, and went from 180 - 155, where I'm at now. I would say hold off until you are about 10 lb away. When you are fit, the tighter the clothes, the better you look! Unless you don't want to go for that tight look I understand. Even getting clothes that rest comfortably on you will look fuller (that is if you are lifting weights while losing weight).

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar boat. Lost weight earlier this decade bought some nice cloths, put some of that weight back on after my dad died three years ago and I am now undoing that the damage from that. I would have a really good tailor in your rolodex and hold off on those really expensive purchases until you are close to your goal.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also losing weight -- I've ceased buying jeans at least for another six months or so. I wouldn't pass up a shirt that fits, but am concentrating my spending around some things I've wanted, like nice shoes and accessories, for the moment.

bob99

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Although I think it will take a few months to achieve, I'm confident I'll be able to achieve my goal. I'm going to hold off on buying anything essential for right now. When I'm 10lbs away from my target I'll get out my credit card and start shopping!

Buying shoes and accessories is a great idea in the meantime.

This whole post raises another question that I've had for a while... Is it possible to be stylish when you're overweight? Of course, you can have nice clothes, but does true personal style hinge on also being fit? It seems like having a good physique opens up your style options greatly!

Bob

avenger15

Reaction score
Bob, I'm in a VERY similar position to you right now. I've been hitting the gym hard for several weeks, and am looking and feeling 10x better. However, I'm not willing to invest significantly in new clothes right now because I still have a lot of weight to lose. But for the time being I might buy some new shoes, socks, a watch, things like that. Additionally, it gives me time to learn more about what looks good and what doesn't so that I can make informed purchases when the time is right.

indy116

Reaction score
What got me interested in nicer clothes was losing 30 - 40 pounds on my way down to a reasonable size. My pants were falling off and shirts looked like I had a tent on - I needed new stuff. So, I spent a bunch of money (for me anyways, seems like some here pay more for a single suit than I've spent) buying better fitting clothes. I hope that they'll end up being too big as well in another 6 months or so, and I'll get to look around for more.

I don't necessarily think that style hinges on being fit, but your options for expressing your style are expanded when you can find clothes that fit!

Lucky7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Although I think it will take a few months to achieve, I'm confident I'll be able to achieve my goal. I'm going to hold off on buying anything essential for right now. When I'm 10lbs away from my target I'll get out my credit card and start shopping!

Buying shoes and accessories is a great idea in the meantime.

This whole post raises another question that I've had for a while... Is it possible to be stylish when you're overweight? Of course, you can have nice clothes, but does true personal style hinge on also being fit? It seems like having a good physique opens up your style options greatly!

Bob

Bob,

Good question! A few friends are very stylish, and indeed overweight. I think losing the weight helps with the confidence level, and the way you feel in your clothes! Keep us posted on your weight loss! Glad to hear you are making the move!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel for you - I have lost about 80 pounds in the past 18 months, and am trying to loose another 40-50 before I buy any new clothes. I have had all my clothes taken in a few times, and I bought a few shirts to tide me over. I would say wait and get stuff that fits you when you hit your target.

good luck

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Bob

Bob

i am currently in this predicament myself.

last winter i was 205ish and lost a load of weight to achieve 168 lbs by springtime/summer.

i unloaded all my old clothes and got a new wardrobe of jeans, tshirts, and coats that fit my new body.

but recently since fall, i have been gradually gaining weight and back up to 188lbs. i am pushing 190 and am extremely disappointed at myself during the holiday times which i could not really help with all the good food and eating.

i still purchase clothes to fit my 'slim figure' days. (it dont fit good, tight for one thing. but i remember how these items fit when i was slim and it was very nice looking) for one, i dont want to buy large and then lose weight and have to go through the dumping of clothes again.

and two,
i dont want to encourage myself to gain more, but limit my clothing options to a minimum to help myself lose weight again (akin to snapping a rubberband on the wrist kind of thing)

some of my jeans (expensive ones, japanese etc) dont even fit me at all anymore. they are just hanging including my ONI shoai.

that is going to be my motiviation to start losing again for this new year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads