• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Do you not find it a bit ridiculous to get into a pissing contest over who has the better city? It's entirely asinine, and is something that comes down to an opinion, not debatable facts.

Shaddup! We know, duh! Nobody really gives a ****. We want some more crazy rants. Go away from our thread, eh.

Thanks.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TSO is a good provincial orchestra. Some fine players. But the hall sucks the life out of the orchestra. That said, the Vienna and London Philharmonics made it sound like heaven.

The MSO was even more provincial than the TSO 'till 1980, when the giant prick, Charles Dutoit came to town. He ruffled many feathers, fired half the orchestra (incl. 5 brothers!), and turned the orchestra in a powerhouse. Even under Kent Nagano, the MSO has retained much of it's luster, if not quite the match for Dutoit's band. That said, it is still streets ahead of the TSO.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I

Vaughan/Richmond Hill/Markham...the hate is focused on the 905 Chinese lifestyle vs the old-school 416 Chinese lifestyle.

One of these things is not like the others.

The hate should be focused on "woodabridga". The GTA's answer to the Jersey Shore.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
TSO is a good provincial orchestra. Some fine players. But the hall sucks the life out of the orchestra. That said, the Vienna and London Philharmonics made it sound like heaven.

The MSO was even more provincial than the TSO 'till 1980, when the giant prick, Charles Dutoit came to town. He ruffled many feathers, fired half the orchestra (incl. 5 brothers!), and turned the orchestra in a powerhouse. Even under Kent Nagano, the MSO has retained much of it's luster, if not quite the match for Dutoit's band. That said, it is still streets ahead of the TSO.

It wasn't so horrible unter Mehta.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
But honestly, who gives a ****?
I am the Anti-kwilk, and my motto is... GIVE A ****!

Do you not find it a bit ridiculous to get into a pissing contest over who has the better city?
No, I think trying to be the "who gives a ****" referee in one is ridiculous. Pick a side... or **** off.

Montreal squats to pee, so not really worthy of a pissing contest with Toronto, which can at least write its name in the snow.

Between you and me, if Montreal couldn't constantly tell itself how much better it is than Toronto, it would fall into the abyss. I am simply showing a little mercy by pushing a few buttons to prevent this from happening.

I thought Georgetown was where the white supremists were.
No...Georgetown is the dumping ground for those too good for Milton, but not good enough for the better parts of Caledon. And it's definitely not worth the drive to Acton to find out.

The hate should be focused on "woodabridga". The GTA's answer to the Jersey Shore.
Oh yea...them pretending to be the Sopranos is about as laughable as the middle class Chinese kids in Markham thinking they are Gangstas.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now please...do not ask me to start evaluating the the inner 416 self-hate.

Interesting 905 hate post. Some of it is surely true. Now please do tell me more about inner 416 self-hate. I am especially curious about residents of the Avenue/Eglinton area (Chaplin Estates or Forest Hill or whatever it's called). kthanx

BTW, what's a geo-exchange business?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
I always assumed TSO was the premier orchestra in Canada but that's my being ignorant (I do own TSO season subscriptions). I would say you'll have an easy time moving from Montreal to Toronto provided you're not a francophone coming from rural Quebec. I'm not too sure about employment possibilities. There are net more jobs here than in Quebec but you have heard that we're the one province that keeps suffering 5 digit job losses month after month right?

My favourite thing about Toronto is you hear a different foreign language every day (not necessarily French).

A former Montreal branch manager at our workplace perhaps says it best. He said it took him years to figure out what his employee's spouses did for a living during the annual Christmas parties. Apparently, he said that it was not fashionable for people to talk about work outside of work. The first day he moved to a Toronto suburb, his neighbour walks up to him and asks two questions: What's your name and what do you do [for a living]? He said in Toronto, for whatever reason, what you do seems to define you. Anyway, thought that might be insightful.

I actually grew-up in Oakville and Port Credit. I figure a lot of the job losses are manufacturing and banking? Was talking to my uncle recently and even Calgary is experiencing the slowdown. Either way, I won't be looking for work until the end of 2009 or early 2010. The best way to deal with a recession is to go on vacation for 8 months or so. :p

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The best way to deal with a recession is to go on vacation for 8 months or so. :p

Or just refuse to participate. Always works for me.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Or just refuse to participate. Always works for me.

Uhh, well, I don't have shrink & alimony bills or a mortgage but I still need money yeah to survive. Hell, why else would I be on SF?
wink.gif

But if Ford goes, so does Oakville. If GM goes, Oshawa will become decrepit.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh, well, I don't have shrink & alimony bills or a mortgage but I still need money yeah to survive. Hell, why else would I be on SF?
wink.gif

The part of oakville that I know won't be affected at all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
wink.gif

Ford and GM, Oakville and Oshawa = all jobs and all places to live in Canada? People make choices. If your town becomes a jobless **** hole, I'd think an intelligent person would move. But that's just me.
smile.gif
And PS: Oshawa has been decrepit for several decades. I remember partying there with a friend from Oshawa. Never seen so much hash oil and chics with big hair.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ford and GM, Oakville and Oshawa = all jobs and all places to live in Canada? People make choices. If your town becomes a jobless **** hole, I'd think an intelligent person would move. But that's just me.
smile.gif

And PS: Oshawa has been decrepit for several decades. I remember partying there with a friend from Oshawa. Never seen so much hash oil and chics with big hair.

What, no love for "The 'Shwa"? LOL

If Ford leaves Oakville, some businesses would close, but all that old money Lakeshore down would be just fine, thank you very much.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Again, it depends on what part of oakville you're talking about.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an emoticon to get the point across that you should know that I know you know?

I dunno -- how about this? http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/adult/*******.gif

Well, you should. Joking is fun, but I know first hand that some people are just not "wired" for inner-city life (depends on what point they are in life, and what kind of city it is). People gotta live where they are happy...my opinion doesn't matter. Personally, I like the country, and I like the inner city. The Burbs represent nothing but compromise to me, and therefore would drive me batty. I'm by no means a tree-hugger, but I do believe in the benefits that sustainable living brings, so I also hate the burbs on those philosophical grounds as well.

You say compromise; I say best of both worlds -- vivre la difference!
fight[1].gif

Well, this means I'm going to have to start getting very specific, as the 905 "micro inter-regional" hate is quite complex. My work has seen me extensively in the 905 and beyond (I'm in the geo-exhange business). The margin or error is probably small, as I get a good exposure to a cross section of the demographic (home owners, retailers, developers, trades people...even their dreaded offspring and pets).

Take Milton for instance...their hate is just plain old simple racist hate. Toronto is the epitome of "ethnic", and that's about the extent of it. Milton is like the white supremest capital of the 905. What I've heard come out of the mouths of people in Milton reminds me of the kind of stuff I used to hear as a kid in small-town southern Ontario...politically correct as a concept, has somehow bypassed Milton completely. When I hear this, i do what does not come naturally to me...I say nothing....it would be pointless.

What is geo-ex(c)hange?
eh.gif

At any rate, the Milton you reference is accurately the old Milton -- but the recent massive growth there, courtesy of "the big pipe" (and the Public Transit from points east
devil.gif
) is drowning out the old "white hood" crowd, or driving them to the hinterlands of Georgetown or Acton, where the is no Public Transit and the Orange Order is alive and well.

Mississauga...the city of mall-envy. This keeps them wary of Toronto's malls on a constant basis, but they feel pretty good about Square One, so these days they have been laying low. It helps them by feeling pretty smug about that walking mummy of a mayor they have. Will be pretty short lived though, as they are now switching their focus to transit-envy. Since building a "downtown" based on a mall has been highly successful in terms of development (if not in terms of charm), the idea that they "forgot" to build any transit infrastructure for a city that is 3/4 of a million people, and still growing fast is beginning to sound like it may not have been a good idea after all in terms of urban planning. Property tax is already higher then toronto, and will get much worse if they plan to spend the mega-billions it takes to build. In the meantime, traffic is worse in Missy than downtown toronto by a wide margin.

Note...south Miss does not count (Port Credit, Clarkson, Lorne Park)...I put them in the Oakville category (below).

laugh.gif

Your point about the north/south QEW divide is well taken -- it also exists in Oakville and Burlington.

Oakville...they are too secure and confident to hate. Oakville may no longer be the "richest city in Canada", but somebody forgot to tell them. Oakville likes being Oakville, and is quite happy with its proximity to Toronto (far enough to not effect it, but close enough to get to when they want).

I grew up in Oakville (well, we moved there when I was 10), and while the "town"
rolleyes.gif
is a little more complicated than that, your point about the ideal distance from Hogtown is well taken -- it used to be the end of the GO line, but now regular service extends to Burlington, which is probably why I think it is, as Goldilocks might put it, "just right" -- emphasis on RIGHT, of course ...
devil.gif

Brampton...they don't have an opinion one way or the other. They are too busy trying to avoid the reality that they live a city devoid of a single positive aspect. It has no culture (high or low), don't seem interested in any sports, it doesn't have a single structure of any architectural note, and doesn't even have any interesting natural geography. Brampton should be bulldozed, and it's inhabitants relocated to Mississauga, and reforested for annexation as estates and farms for Caledon.

crackup[1].gif

Mind you, there is some good high-school basketball in Brampton

Caledon/King City... no hate there...no threat from Toronto out here...it's rural. Plus, most are just Torontonians with estates or hobby farms.

Precisely -- hence not rural at all, really, but rather a "colony" of Toronto, as was Oakville originally.

Oh, so your probably wondering about Burlington?

Well, Burlington is a special case (the basket kind I'm afraid). Burlington only suffers from low level "nervous" hate. The reason for this, is they are hopelessly confused. Are they part of the 905...yes are they part of the CMA...no are they part of the GTA...yes. officially part of Durham, but unofficially part of Hamilton. You can't figure out how to hate Toronto, because you can't figure out if you are even a Toronto suburb or not....you're in some kind of bizarre Golden Horseshoe Twilight Zone. There you are, nice bucolic, confident Oakville on one side...a "real" gritty but well established blue collar city on the other side (and trying not to notice redneck Milton to the north of you). You can't really even embrace the lake, as it's only feature is the dreaded "Skyway".

Burlington needs to be sliced up and the pieces sold off to the highest bidders in the surrounding municipalities and put you poor confused people out of your misery.

Close -- Burlington is part of Halton, not Durham, but the demographics are so similar you could be forgiven that slip.

Ah, you see -- what you call the confusion, I call the genius of Burlington. It is the "'taint" of the GTA: "'taint Hamilton, and 'taint Toronto"!

Goldilocks again ...

Now please...do not ask me to start evaluating the the inner 416 self-hate.

You know what -- you really should. You have a comic talent for this, though we really should probably start another thread, since we have already hi-jacked this one within an inch of its life ...
blush.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a classic hijack thread. I love the idea of someone searching the forum in the future actually expecting to find some restaurant recommendations.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics