• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist
...oh shhhhit, me getting senile - just looked them up again and they are Bass Weejuns - but the question about quality remains...

Rest assured on the quality issue. Weejuns were always the British skinhead's loafer of choice, when he could afford them and when he could find them.

By the way, what German team do you support?

Having grown up in Notting Hill my nearest team was QPR and so it has always been QPR for me. They're in the Championship League at the moment, which is directly under the Premier League.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...my town is traditionaly more (ice)hockey than football so I used to go there when I was younger. Probably a bit like in Sweden.

...but actually the local football team (FC Augsburg) is doing quite well in the second German division (2. Bundesliga) lately so I love to see them win, of course. Wouldn't label myself a propper supporter though. And I have kind of a weak spot for St. Pauli - but as they are playing in the same league as 'we' do, there is no real choice. Suport your local football team!

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Funny you should say that as I was thinking of St. Pauli when I asked you. And yes, you should always support your local team.

cvac

Reaction score
I guess I can appreciate some aspects of the whole skinhead thing. Some of the clothes looked sharp. Music like Desmond Dekker, Skatalites, etc. is good stuff, though I'm admittedly not well versed in it. I've got no problem with 60s soul either but personally my own tastes veer more towards 70s soul. As far as Oi! music goes, I thought most of it was incredibly weak. The 4 Skins, Menace, and especially Cock Sparrer I thought were pretty good. Peter and the Test Tube Babies were okay. The first Skrewdriver record, before the racist garbage, was also pretty solid. I'd still rather listen to the first two Stiff Little Fingers albums any day of the week than any of those bands though. IMHO, most Oi! bands from the early 80s sounded especially weak when compared to first wave 70s UK and American Punk. The best early 80s American hardcore bands (and a few European bands) SMOKED all that crappy Oi! stuff too. Just my opinion.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...first game in the second division three years ago...
224319.jpg

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mmm... St. Pauli. I need to look around and ask someone to proxy me a couple of shirts.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...and again...
Martin-301208-I.jpg
indoor
Martin-301208-II.jpg
outdoor MTM, Perry, APC, Burlington, Laszlo plus paisley wool scarf, sheepskin, fishing bag

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
The best early 80s American hardcore bands (and a few European bands) SMOKED all that crappy Oi! stuff too. Just my opinion.

Well, yeah, hardcore rules, but...I gotta concede that the skins were/are better dressed.

Good thread. Keep it going...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
doesnt get more traditional than some of these fellas.....

Hanging out in London with traditional skins

Me and Bill, at the Camden Town "oi! oi! Shop" Oi is def not traditional music for skins but Bill has been in the London scene since the first days of the skinhead revival in '78 and prefers soul/ska/reggae tho still like his Oi music

l_ab5faaa1ed3d49fab67b032b57d82017.jpg

group pic of having pints with some of the Camden boys at their pub, the Elephant's Head.
l_c397403c11864ef6951994faed0b5c90.jpg

The fella directly to my right (Dave) with the "thumbs up" is in one of the more famous set of photos taken involving skins (scanned from the Nick Knight book). He's the guy in the black crombie on the left giving the biker a kicking (pic was used on cover of Condemned 84's "face the aggression" LP:
facetheaggressiondg0.jpg

New Years' Eve soul/ska nite in London. Here with Jim Cox, one of the originals from 1968 (photos of him from 68-69 are fairly popular on the net as an example of "original skinhead")...still going strong as a ska/reggae DJ. His set was amazing, couldnt sit down to one song as they were all tops

l_248bfec000f64627b6bea913ab880012.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
I've discussed this with quite a few older trads over the years, and we all always come to the same conclusion that politics held no interest for us at all back then.

yes I talked about this with some of the London traditionals as well and this was our take on "politics", that is was always best left alone. Bill, in the photo above, was showing me where he had been stabbed a few times by his "mates" who decided to become political (NF) and he wouldnt have any part of it and fought them (his former friends) for years

gawkrodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist
...and again...

Martin-301208-I.jpg

indoor

Martin-301208-II.jpg

outdoor

MTM, Perry, APC, Burlington, Laszlo
plus
paisley wool scarf, sheepskin, fishing bag

Both of these are great. Never what I'd wear, but can really appreciate it.

If i gave a toss about football, St Pauli would no doubt be my favouite team too haha

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus. I feel really bad for that "rocker" guy. That's a big ******* dude teeing off on his head. And between GS and soulstylist.. Yeah, I now have a goal. You F***ers are too skinny though.
wink.gif
Can you still rock the Fred Perry with shoulder length hippie hair?

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Can you still rock the Fred Perry with shoulder length hippie hair?

NO! Get a haircut ya fecking hippy
wink.gif

By the way, I'm a big guy. Not at all skinny. Not fat or anything, just built!
smile.gif
6' and 220 lbs.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
The myth that boys from working class Labour (left wing) families would suddenly become right wing once they became skinheads is simply that, a myth.

Growing up in Australia in the early 80s, we only ever saw the "more English than the English" NF type skinheads. But my mates in the building union would always tell me stories of how the skins of the 70s gave the movement new life - great parties, good music, beer, working-class pride and holding their own on a picket line.

tcodd

Reaction score
is this thread still alive?as i am putting a collection together based on skinheads for my fashion design project and would like some tips and info on key specific skinhead clothing would be most appreciated!
cheers tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics