• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

ziggyosk

Reaction score
MT_spiffy,

First of all your clothes aren't really my style, however i give you credit for trying your best to dress better than the majority of society. Most people don't really care how they look and you do which is to be commended. I think your last picture is an improvement over your earlier ones, the suit looks like it fits a little better and the tie know doesn't look quite as big. The biggest thing I don't like is your shirt tie combos. If you wore a white shirt for instance with that last outfit I think it would look 10x better.

I do want to commend you on how respectful you have been to everyone despite the fact that there have been some very rude comment thrown your way. You seem like a nice guy.

skeen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Some people are very sincere in the ministry. Even in the midst of corrupt organizations. Everything man-made will be imperfect.

Sorry, but that's a crap copout. Religious organizations are especially corrupt. "Praiiise Jesus. Sow that seed! Give until it hurts!" You must make good money.
smile.gif

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Actually I make very little from my full time church jobs. My home church I know is struggling to pay their bills. When the economy suffers, it affects across the board.

That having been said, I am a firm believer in Biblical principles because they have shown to work. That includes tithing and sowing. You just have to make sure that where you sow is GOOD GROUND.

skeen

Reaction score
Actually I make very little from my full time church jobs. My home church I know is struggling to pay their bills. When the economy suffers, it affects across the board. That having been said, I am a firm believer in Biblical principles because they have shown to work. That includes tithing and sowing. You just have to make sure that where you sow is GOOD GROUND.
Well, I'm not going to turn this into a religious debate. I'll just say I don't agree with you for now. At least your church has tax-free status though, so that's gotta be of some help - even though there's no basis in the world for why they should deserve such a thing.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
You dont want to debate, but you keep trying to hit below the belt. I'll take such jabs at my clothes but I have to stand up for my ministry.

None of the ministry based organizations I'm involved with are perfect. This includes churches, choirs, music groups, record labels, production teams, etc etc. All of them have some degree of human issue be it corruption, pride, dishonesty, mismanagement, temper, ego, SOMETHING. I would not invite you to my church saying "look, we're perfect, let me change your views about ministry". Chances are if you were looking closely you would see some of the things that formed your views in the first place.

BUT

What I admire, and what I attach myself to, as far as my own personal ministry, is people who are doing what the do sincerely and for the purpose of God and the people of God. They may not always go about it the right way but their heart is pure. Their intent and focus is to feed people spiritually if not naturally, and sometimes both.

I do what I do because I was called to do it. Sometimes I am acting as a minister, other times as a person who shows up to do a job. Sometimes it depends on my mood! But if I did not know I was God-appointed to be a part of it, it is very likely I would be somewhere else doing something else for significantly more money.

And yes, people in black churches dress ridiculous. If I posted pictures of what some other people wear . . .

skeen

Reaction score
I didn't think I was hitting below the belt. Churches have undeserved tax-exempt status. And this doesn't stop them from rallying their troops together to vote for the next hateful cause, such as banning gay marriage.

I couldn't care less for people "serving god" - this means nothing to me. First, you would have to specify which of the thousands of gods that have been fabricated in human history that you're talking about, then you'd have to provide sufficient evidence for why that particular god exists, and acknowledge that you would not even believe in that god had you been born in another place, or at another time.

If they're serving the needs of real people, real things, then great. But I support no cause that enables ignorance, and spreads stupidity, and reinforces superstition, and at its very heart is hypocritical in almost every imaginable way. That's all.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skeen
But I support no cause that enables ignorance, and spreads stupidity, and reinforces superstition, and at its very heart is hypocritical in almost every imaginable way.

You must be confused.

This is actually the mission statement of StyleForum.

- B

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

skeen

Reaction score
Heh. Sorry to diverge this topic into religious mumbo jumbo; that level of hypocrisy just disgusts me to no end, and I always feel I have to say something. I shall practice restraint in future.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
If they're serving the needs of real people, real things, then great. But I support no cause that enables ignorance, and spreads stupidity, and reinforces superstition, and at its very heart is hypocritical in almost every imaginable way. That's all.

Whew, then we're fine. Sounds like you're talking about someone ELSE's church.

skeen

Reaction score
Whew, then we're fine. Sounds like you're talking about someone ELSE's church.

Apologies, I thought you were apart of some kind of a christian church.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't think I was hitting below the belt. Churches have undeserved tax-exempt status. And this doesn't stop them from rallying their troops together to vote for the next hateful cause, such as banning gay marriage.

I couldn't care less for people "serving god" - this means nothing to me. First, you would have to specify which of the thousands of gods that have been fabricated in human history that you're talking about, then you'd have to provide sufficient evidence for why that particular god exists, and acknowledge that you would not even believe in that god had you been born in another place, or at another time.

Wow.

The churches actually do have a good reason to be tax exempt. First and foremost it allows free practice of religion to flourish. The state does not have any authority to regulate beliefs and smaller faiths are allowed to practice without the burden of taxes. Moreover, churches and places of worship are, tautologically, non-profits. Hence, they should be given the same tax status as non profits (your own biases against religions notwithstanding, and frankly, aren't worth even worth addressing).

emptym

Reaction score
Not another one...
You dont want to debate, but you keep trying to hit below the belt. I'll take such jabs at my clothes but I have to stand up for my ministry. None of the ministry based organizations I'm involved with are perfect. This includes churches, choirs, music groups, record labels, production teams, etc etc. All of them have some degree of human issue be it corruption, pride, dishonesty, mismanagement, temper, ego, SOMETHING. I would not invite you to my church saying "look, we're perfect, let me change your views about ministry". Chances are if you were looking closely you would see some of the things that formed your views in the first place. BUT What I admire, and what I attach myself to, as far as my own personal ministry, is people who are doing what the do sincerely and for the purpose of God and the people of God. They may not always go about it the right way but their heart is pure. Their intent and focus is to feed people spiritually if not naturally, and sometimes both. I do what I do because I was called to do it. Sometimes I am acting as a minister, other times as a person who shows up to do a job. Sometimes it depends on my mood! But if I did not know I was God-appointed to be a part of it, it is very likely I would be somewhere else doing something else for significantly more money.
Good post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads