• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread you can post your: Job and Enjoyment level

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well go for the trifecta of life-altering threads
bounce2.gif

In this thread, please list your job/career in enough detail to know what you do (i.e. don't say "business") and then state how happy and enjoyable the job is in a brief summary. Please factor in salary, hours at work, enjoyment while at work, and difficulty in obtaining said job.

I hope this will give a nice cross-section of how SF makes their money and whether or not we're all working jobs we hate to buy stuff we don't need
devil.gif

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Mexican part-time house cleaner.

My job mostly involves cleaning the house and the bathroom/kitchen when the mister leaves for work and the misses is gone shopping. It is pretty non-demanding because I can steal ginger cookies sometimes. Except when the mister yells at me for spilling orange flavored kitchen cleaner on his carpet, I am pretty happy. I don't get payed too much but I can steal the difference between what I get payed and what I want to get payed so it's not a problem. It's not too hard to get the job you don't even need to present identification, all you need to do is know how to clean and work for below minimum wage. You also need to bring your own orange flavored kitchen cleaner which is a ***** cause you have to spend your own money on it because we don't have a union.

jkw

Reaction score
hahaha, i just read that with a mexican accent. Man am i bored...

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Army enlisted. I messed up while in college and got kicked out before I finished my degree. Unfortunately I also had built up some debt. I wanted a second chance to go to school and a way to pay my debts, so I enlisted. I'm grateful for a lot of the things the Army has provided me, but it is not something I wish to continue doing longer than I have to. I have a technical specialty (medic), but I rarely am used as a medic when in home garrison. When at home, I work mostly manual labor. Cleaning, maintenance, painting curbs, area beautification (landscaping), inventory/hauling equipment, training, and picking up trash. It is not a difficult job. The majority of the decisions are made for me, and I can carry them out, or I can low crawl on the ground and do 50 pushups and then do whatever they told me to do in the first place anyway. I also don't have to think too hard, because they usually tell me exactly what they want me to do at least 3 times, then give me another briefing to make sure I know what they want me to do. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on how you look at it, I spend more time deployed than I do at home, so I do get some time to practice my technical specialty at least.

Pros:
Good benefits package. Food and housing allowance.
Education benefits.
I spent my yearly uniform allowance on Scotch.
Tax free when deployed to hostile areas.
Very few decisions that I have to make on my own.
Get paid to stay reasonably fit/healthy.
Enlistment bonuses for qualified people. I got $11K (before tax).
Guaranteed pay raises and promotions to a certain point, unless you are one of the geniuses that get us in trouble all the time.
Job security. They can't really fire me, though there are days that I wish they would.
Job training, although some enlisted jobs don't really transfer that well to the real world.

Cons:
Redundant instructions and safety briefings make me feel like a marsupial sometimes.
We have a lot of real genuine geniuses that get us in trouble, and group punishment, though not used to the extent that it used to be, is still used.
Have to be at work really early when everyone else is still asleep.
Schedule is decided for you, and you can spend time in the field/deployed anywhere from a week to fifteen months.
Stop losses can happen, but at least I'm making money.
GI party.
Slightly increased mortality rate.

Job satisfaction, mediocre. I tried it, not really for me, but I'm glad I got the experience at least. I'm taking an interest in this thread because I'm getting read to finish my contract and I'm wondering what I want to do in the real world.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition

Job satisfaction, mediocre. I tried it, not really for me, but I'm glad I got the experience at least. I'm taking an interest in this thread because I'm getting read to finish my contract and I'm wondering what I want to do in the real world.

These guys are always hiring.
smile.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
You also need to bring your own orange flavored kitchen cleaner which is a ***** cause you have to spend your own money on it because we don't have a union.

You need more Lemon Pledge?

Job: Third-party recruiter/head hunter
Satisfaction: 2/5

Repetitive and mindless. No respect. Economy in the ***** means less commission.

IDirector

Reaction score
Server Support Analyst. My 1st real gig coming out of College. I work about 50 hours a week and 10 of those are because I choose to.

Job's not that bad. I get paid nicely for my level. I don't really hate it. It's just way process driven because it's one of the larger oil companies in America.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Army enlisted. I messed up while in college and got kicked out before I finished my degree. Unfortunately I also had built up some debt. I wanted a second chance to go to school and a way to pay my debts, so I enlisted. I'm grateful for a lot of the things the Army has provided me, but it is not something I wish to continue doing longer than I have to. I have a technical specialty (medic), but I rarely am used as a medic when in home garrison. When at home, I work mostly manual labor. Cleaning, maintenance, painting curbs, area beautification (landscaping), inventory/hauling equipment, training, and picking up trash. It is not a difficult job. The majority of the decisions are made for me, and I can carry them out, or I can low crawl on the ground and do 50 pushups and then do whatever they told me to do in the first place anyway. I also don't have to think too hard, because they usually tell me exactly what they want me to do at least 3 times, then give me another briefing to make sure I know what they want me to do. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on how you look at it, I spend more time deployed than I do at home, so I do get some time to practice my technical specialty at least.

Pros:
Good benefits package. Food and housing allowance.
Education benefits.
I spent my yearly uniform allowance on Scotch.
Tax free when deployed to hostile areas.
Very few decisions that I have to make on my own.
Get paid to stay reasonably fit/healthy.
Enlistment bonuses for qualified people. I got $11K (before tax).
Guaranteed pay raises and promotions to a certain point, unless you are one of the geniuses that get us in trouble all the time.
Job security. They can't really fire me, though there are days that I wish they would.
Job training, although some enlisted jobs don't really transfer that well to the real world.

Cons:
Redundant instructions and safety briefings make me feel like a marsupial sometimes.
We have a lot of real genuine geniuses that get us in trouble, and group punishment, though not used to the extent that it used to be, is still used.
Have to be at work really early when everyone else is still asleep.
Schedule is decided for you, and you can spend time in the field/deployed anywhere from a week to fifteen months.
Stop losses can happen, but at least I'm making money.
GI party.
Slightly increased mortality rate.

What made you GoArmy instead of one of the other branches?
eh.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Airport customer service representative.

Basically try and make people's journey through our airport go smoother by working flights, walking along security lines, answering questions, etc. When I am not working a flight I am usually checking flights on the computer. I also volunteer with the airport information desk as a tie-in. Having several family members and many friends in the industry they introduced the idea to me, and I ended up loving it.

Pros-
-flight benefits (!!!)
-security badge
-I love airplanes and airlines
-know the airport well
-skip security lines
-employee discount on stores and stuff in the airport

Cons-
-may have to work weird hours
-dealing with irate people
-occasionally tedious work
-if you don't like interacting with people it's not fun

Job satisfaction, I absolutely love what I do and would not give it up.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Airport customer service representative.

Basically try and make people's journey through our airport go smoother by working flights, walking along security lines, answering questions, etc. When I am not working a flight I am usually checking flights on the computer. I also volunteer with the airport information desk as a tie-in. Having several family members and many friends in the industry they introduced the idea to me, and I ended up loving it.

Pros-
-flight benefits (!!!)
-security badge
-I love airplanes and airlines
-know the airport well
-skip security lines
-employee discount on stores and stuff in the airport

Cons-
-may have to work weird hours
-dealing with irate people
-occasionally tedious work
-if you don't like interacting with people it's not fun

Job satisfaction, I absolutely love what I do and would not give it up.

Does it pay better than other customer service jobs?
eh.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Does it pay better than other customer service jobs?
eh.gif

Depends what kind of job. My pay is fair enough for the amount of work involved.

Musiclover

Reaction score
I'm a professional touring musician. When not touring, I work as a substitute teacher. I love both jobs!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
retired tailor 14 years now its damn boring. so i found some part time work.
1year as a fitter on michigan ave part time.
6 years fitting airline uniforms part time.
nothing open now back to boring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads