• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Malt Scotch

8-Ball

Reaction score
Do we have any scotch afficionados here? I have recently gotton into scotch and some of my favorites so far are Glen Morangie Port Wood Finish and Auchentoshan 3 wood. Any recommendations for what to try next? I tried Ardbeg and it makes me never want to try another Isley Scotch.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Ardmore and Laphroaig, but only because my preferences in whiskey are to the extreme side of peatiness. In fact, Laphroaig almost tastes like iodine, but that's part of its charm.

You might have better luck describing what you like in a whiskey, and others can give you recommendations based on your desires.

8-Ball

Reaction score
Well I don't like the iodine taste so Islay is out of the question. I did give 2 of my favorites, but to expand upon that I would say that I like scotch that is finished in different types of wood like sherry or port wood, I like scotches with a complex range of flavors, I don't like anything with an alc% above 46 as I think it starts to overwhelm the flavors. I don't mind a little bit of peat but I don't like it to overwhelm the other flavors either.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Macallan 25. Highland Park 18. If you can find it, Glenmorangie Sherry Fino Wood.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I drink some single malts, and I might get more serious about it later when I have the money. For now, mostly bottles under 18 years or under 100 bucks. I kind of believe in the law of diminishing returns applies to bottles after a certain point. So far I'd have to say Lagavulin 16, at only 55 dollars a bottle, is hard to beat at almost any price point. Some other favorites are Talisker 10 (probably the only non-Islay I have other than the Glenlivet I have to offer to guests who don't like my other bottles), Laphroaig 10/15, Bowmore 12/15/Dusk. Some of the non-Islay malts with interesting finishes of port or sherry are nice, but usually leave me desiring a bit more. For you very serious Scotch drinkers, if I were to invest in an expensive bottle, what would be a good one to start with?

cab

Reaction score
I enjoy many single malts with my current favorite being the Glenmorangie Maderia Wood.

jjjohn

Reaction score
Glenmorangie Sherry Fino Wood is a good choice.
Macallan 18 also not bad

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 8-Ball
I would say that I like scotch that is finished in different types of wood like sherry or port wood, I like scotches with a complex range of flavors

I'm glad I get to be the first to recommend the Cragganmore Distillers Edition. Double matured in port wine casks. Excellent, especially for its price.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we have any scotch afficionados here? I have recently gotton into scotch and some of my favorites so far are Glen Morangie Port Wood Finish and Auchentoshan 3 wood. Any recommendations for what to try next? I tried Ardbeg and it makes me never want to try another Isley Scotch.
Several! There are quite a number of scotch threads here. I really enjoy the Auchentoshan Three Wood, also.
Well I don't like the iodine taste so Islay is out of the question. I did give 2 of my favorites, but to expand upon that I would say that I like scotch that is finished in different types of wood like sherry or port wood, I like scotches with a complex range of flavors, I don't like anything with an alc% above 46 as I think it starts to overwhelm the flavors. I don't mind a little bit of peat but I don't like it to overwhelm the other flavors either.
First of all, don't be afraid of higher-proof whiskies, just dilute them a little. I dilute most 80pf whiskies a little (no more than 10% by vol max), and cask-strength whiskies more. I like to think that if I buy, say, a 130pf whisky that I just bought 1-5/8ths bottles for the price of one (as I will likely drink it around 80pf). Secondly, if finishes are your interest, you have to try the Distiller's Edition whiskies from Diagieo -- they all have a secondary maturation. Lagavulin, Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie, Oban, Glenkinchie and Caol Ila all have such expressions -- I completely agree with KF and recommend you start with the Cragganmore. Then just look around, Glenmorangie, Edradour, Balvenie and some other distilleries are making merry with this practice. Glenmorangie's Sauternes finished Nectar d'Or is an incredible experience of honey and toffe and vanilla. Their Quinta de Robain is also worthy. The secondary bottlers are even more into it -- but then you are into the obscure -- Murray MacDavid, Gordon & Macphail, etc, and finished such as Haut-Brion casks, or Temperanillo casks , or rum casks, or Cote-Rotie casks -- I have a 28yo Cragganmore finished in Syrah.
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
I drink some single malts, and I might get more serious about it later when I have the money. For now, mostly bottles under 18 years or under 100 bucks. I kind of believe in the law of diminishing returns applies to bottles after a certain point. So far I'd have to say Lagavulin 16, at only 55 dollars a bottle, is hard to beat at almost any price point. Some other favorites are Talisker 10 (probably the only non-Islay I have other than the Glenlivet I have to offer to guests who don't like my other bottles), Laphroaig 10/15, Bowmore 12/15/Dusk. Some of the non-Islay malts with interesting finishes of port or sherry are nice, but usually leave me desiring a bit more. For you very serious Scotch drinkers, if I were to invest in an expensive bottle, what would be a good one to start with?
You only pay $55 for Lagaulin 16? It's closer to $75 around me. The investment again, depends on your taste -- since you are an Islay man, I think I'll leave this to Piobaire, who will trump my answer. But I'll leave with a few notes -- which of those malts is your favorite? Get their best offering, then! Like Lagavulin? Then get their 21, 30, or the stunning Pedro Ximenez finished Distiller's Edition. Like Talisker? Talisker 29. My favorite is Mortlach, of which I just picked up a 22yo. 2nd favorite is Cragganmore, and I'm trying to snag their 29 -- if the distiller doesn't disappoint you on their run-of-the-mill offerings, they likely won't on their best. ~ Huntsman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I have been wanting to try some single malt for some time now, and would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman: Great suggestions. I'd really like to try the Lagavulin Distillers Edition as a strong entry in the world of Islay scotches. Appropo of nothing in this thread, I hope you didn't miss my post several days ago regarding Cold River vodka in the "What are you drinking right now?" thread. You'd asked how to acquire it.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I have been wanting to try some single malt for some time now, and would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
teacha.gif

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You only pay $55 for Lagaulin 16? It's closer to $75 around me.

Typically 60-65 I think, but I have snagged them for a bit cheaper before (55 or so), tax free from the military liquor stores. They don't always have a big selection, but it's convenient especially since in WA state, all the liquor stores are state controlled outside of military bases and probably native reservations. Unfortunately I can never find 21 or 30 Lagavulin anywhere around here. I might have to try looking online if that's even legal.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Huntsman: Great suggestions. I'd really like to try the Lagavulin Distillers Edition as a strong entry in the world of Islay scotches. Appropo of nothing in this thread, I hope you didn't miss my post several days ago regarding Cold River vodka in the "What are you drinking right now?" thread. You'd asked how to acquire it.
I did read it, just before Christmas -- apologies for no acknowledging, which I blame, with shame, on the usual holiday stuff. As you say, challenging to acquire, and even moreso for me. I'll get there though. That Lag DE is a pain to find, and I wonder if it isn't better to try it after some familiarity with the standard bottling. Caol Ila 12 is a great entry-Islay. As are some of the Bunnahbhains, and Bruichladdichs, though I have only tasted them an have none so can't recommend. They have finishes and do not hang their hat completely on peat as Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin do.
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Typically 60-65 I think, but I have snagged them for a bit cheaper before (55 or so), tax free from the military liquor stores. They don't always have a big selection, but it's convenient especially since in WA state, all the liquor stores are state controlled outside of military bases and probably native reservations. Unfortunately I can never find 21 or 30 Lagavulin anywhere around here. I might have to try looking online if that's even legal.
Legality is all state-level, so I don't know. I wish you luck in the quest.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
lol8[1].gif
~ Huntsman

AgentQ

Reaction score
This was also posted in another thread, but maltmadness.com is an extremely detailed source of information on whiskies.

judges76

Reaction score
Glengoyne 17yo, 21yo are both outstanding.
Glenfarclas 25 & 30 are also well worth the price.
Both are Highlands. For a fuller, more robust sm, the Glenmorangie cask strength & Rosebank cask strength are both awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads