• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is "white noise"?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it like a specific frequency or something? How come static on a TV makes that particular sound? Waterfalls too, as far as I can tell.

Also, how about "brown noise" or "blue noise," are those real things? What's the difference?

just curious.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"White" noise?

keith_olbermann.jpg

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A continuum of frequencies having an equal power spectrum. IIRC.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
The kind of book critics rave about that no actual flesh and blood person finds pleasure or illumination in reading.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
A continuum of frequencies having an equal power spectrum. IIRC.

thanks! I checked it out on wikipedia, but couldn't really make heads or tails of what they meant (I've spent the last couple decades avoiding math at all costs, so it was greek to me)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its a hissing noise as described by yachtie.

All frequency bands have the same power. A lot of offices pump in white noise to take advantage of the noise canceling properties of broad spectrum noise.

Pink noise is a close relative to white noise. It is supposed to sound a little but more pleasing to the ear since instead of putting the same power through each frequency, it applies the power across a curve representing the sensitivity of human ears. Sounds a little more balanced and less harsh but they basically all sound like the static on your TV.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
The kind of book critics rave about that no actual flesh and blood person finds pleasure or illumination in reading.

I enjoyed it.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
otc's explanation is good. The term "white noise" is comes from an analog to the visible-light spectrum. When all frequencies of visible light are combined, the result is white light, so it makes sense to describe a combination of all sound frequencies as "white". The other "colors" do not have a real-world analog. Here's a good wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is brown noise like hitting the "Brown note" with a subwoofer?

Syl

Reaction score
Sound is characterized by its frequency. You are aware of bass, mids, highs etc. when it comes to music. One can break that down further into particular frequencies.
In acoustics, you can look at sound over a frequency spectrum:
fig7.gif

On the y-axis is the sound pressure leve, on the x-axis is the frequency (from 31.5Hz to 8,000Hz).

In the above example, you notice that the noise is higher in the range of 500Hz to 2000Hz?

Well, white noise is essentially flat across the entire range.
Here's an example:
nano_whitespectrum.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not expecting a baby Joel? That's the second hint you drop in a couple of days... Babies love white noise as it reminds them of the muted sounds they heard in the womb. I couldn't believe how many channels and albums there are on Rhapsody for that - one night they get washer-dryer sound, next night they get ocean waves.
smile.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen

One of my favorite books. Maybe it's our age difference?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White Noise is a band that the Streetwear and Denim crowd like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads