• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F*** you Bank Of America, F*** you Paypal

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I go online to check my bank account today and I notice a $1,500 transfer to my paypal account that I didn't authorize. It happened at 2:08am on Xmas Eve - I was out with friends! I jump over to Paypal and see a instant account transfer to some name and email I've never heard of before. Yup, it looks like someone stole my paypal password somehow and got into my account. I didn't click on any phishing links, all of my PC's are safe, I think I must have checked my paypal account from either a work computer or a friend's computer and that's how I got smacked. I look back at my BoA transactions list and notice it's still in "pending" status. Awesome, I think to myself! Surely, I can call them, report fraud and stop the transaction - after all, the money is still in their hands right?! Nope. According to BoA you have to wait for the withdrawl to be posted before you can actually file a fraud charge... which takes 10 days to process. I have to wait 10 days for them to steal my money before I can take action to prevent them from stealing my money
plain.gif
OK then, let's call Paypal and make sure the money never gets to our fraudster... Paypal tells me that their system auto-flagged it as a fraud transaction this morning. However, since they haven't received the money they can only file a fraud claim in pending status. If/when they receive the money, they will kick it back to me which will take (drumroll....) 10 days
plain.gif
Maybe I'm being naive here but this can't be OK, can it? I can understand Paypal's situation but I think BoA should be a little more pro-active at protecting their customers. While on hold for 20 minutes I had the time free to change the passwords on all my accounts.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow... that sounds scary. I think I may do a round of password changes, too. Just to be sure. I guess I've never really thought about how easy it would be for some scammer to transfer money to themselves if they got your paypal password...

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That really sucks. I hate banks and paypal. Such a necessary evil for both.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's some bullshit right there. Too bad Amex doesn't have a bank.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks ass.

I have purposely opend a small checking account with no more than a couple hundred bucks, linked to Paypay, just for this exact reason.

Best of luck recuping your loss.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the good news is that it might not actually post. it usually takes much less than 10 days, 2-3 business at the most, so if by the middle of next week it hasn't completed you're probably in the clear.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a checking account with no money in it , linked to Paypal, good luck trying to steal anything. Bitches.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Wow... that sounds scary. I think I may do a round of password changes, too. Just to be sure. I guess I've never really thought about how easy it would be for some scammer to transfer money to themselves if they got your paypal password...

Sorry, too late. I'm off to Rome with your Pot-of-Gold...
plain.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This actually makes sense. The money has not been transfered from your BOA account into paypals hands yet. Being that Paypal has flagged it as fraudulent, when BOA goes to transfer it paypal will then (or should at least) tell BOA to cancel the transaction. A bank cannot cancel a transaction that is pending, they must wait until the transaction has gone through before they can do anything.

This has happened to me before with my WAMU debit account. Somebody tried to use my card and I saw the transactions online. I called up fraud prevention and they told me that I had to wait until the transactions were complete. When they went through, I called them up and had the charge reversed, no problem at all.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** ME RIGHT?

My friend had similar **** happen to him. He went straight to Bank of America in person to have a talk with them, and they canceled the transaction + got his cash back ASAP.

You might want to try that. Dealing with them over the phone along with the automated messages = punk ass bitches.

jdcpa

Reaction score
I agree, BofA tends to be a very bad bank in terms of customer service. They are just too big to care.

I had an incident where they had lost thousands of ATM card numbers and the related information. Their solution was to block all the cards in that range. However, they neglected to inform any of those customers (thus me). The only way I found out was when I went to dinner and got the infamous "Sir, there seems to be a problem" responce from the waiter, since the card was declined. Talk about embaressing. Luckly, I had other cards.

I called BofA to see why the card was declined and the basic responce was..."We sometimes black list cards because of our great security...which oddly is frequently required because our central bank security is easily breached. Lastly, due to our great security, its our policy never to inform the customer."

I am sure that is really fun when someone is traveling and only has one card.

rxcats

Reaction score
Around 2 months ago I noticed a charge on my BofA Visa debit card for nearly $200.00 paid to Amazon.com. I knew I hadn't purchased anything through them in months. I first contacted Amazon, and after a quick investigation (a few hours), they determined it was fraud. I notified BofA and they temporarily credited my card for the entire amount; this posted to my account in <24 hours. I then filled out the form they sent me and the credit was made permanent. They also cancelled my card and issued another one. It really went much more smoothly than I thought it would. I still don't know how someone acquired my Visa debit card number; the card was never out of my possession.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Around 2 months ago I noticed a charge on my BofA Visa debit card for nearly $200.00 paid to Amazon.com. I knew I hadn't purchased anything through them in months. I first contacted Amazon, and after a quick investigation (a few hours), they determined it was fraud. I notified BofA and they temporarily credited my card for the entire amount; this posted to my account in <24 hours. I then filled out the form they sent me and the credit was made permanent. They also cancelled my card and issued another one. It really went much more smoothly than I thought it would. I still don't know how someone acquired my Visa debit card number; the card was never out of my possession.
I've gone through the same process a few times with BoA. Sometimes it was clearly fraud, and the temp credit they gave to me wasn't made permanent. It happened all the time on my old computer. Chances are some faulty **** happened online and someone managed to use your debit online.

What are some alternatives to BoA?

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
What are some alternatives to BoA?

I started wondering the same thing after my experience. I worry everytime I use my credit or debit card online. Even though BofA was good about reversing the charge, it is not an experience I wish to repeat. I thought about buying a Visa "gift card" for online use. At least it has a finite value; if someone tried to charge over it's value, it would decline the charge. I'm sure there is some fee for gift cards, but if it is reasonable, it might be worth it for piece of mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads