• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering a short sport coat sleeve

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Just received an oxxford barneys sport coat from eBay. While the fit is fine I noticed and then measured that the length of the right sleeve is shorter than the other by an inch. Can this be fixed or is it once you shorten it, you're stuck?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel the cuff of the shorter sleeve. If it feels like there's cloth folded up into the sleeve, you're in luck. Your next option is to think of putting leather trimming on the ends of the cuffs. This may allow a skilled tailor to lengthen the sleeve a little.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Just received an oxxford barneys sport coat from eBay. While the fit is fine I noticed and then measured that the length of the right sleeve is shorter than the other by an inch. Can this be fixed or is it once you shorten it, you're stuck?

yes,you are stuck.Burn the coat as it is useless.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
yes,you are stuck.Burn the coat as it is useless.

I really don't see the point of this kind of post. It is obviously sarcastic and what are you trying to prove? Give the man some decent advice. If you don't know the answer, advise him to discuss it with his tailor.

Really... what is the point of this type of sarcasm?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I really don't see the point of this kind of post. It is obviously sarcastic and what are you trying to prove? Give the man some decent advice. If you don't know the answer, advise him to discuss it with his tailor.

It is getting annoying to see someone opening a whole new thread for something like this,there was another thread where someone just said that he was taking his suit to a tailor,so what?What is the big deal here?
The answer to OP's question is very obvious,look up if there is extra fabric and if there is then yes,the sleeve can be taken out,it is not a rocket science you know.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score

Thank you JC. I really appreciate it. While SF has much to provide I find that there's too much sarcasm around here.

I'm not having any luck feeling any extra fabric, this could also be because I don't have that much experience in knowing what to look for. I like this jacket and if there is advice you can provide that I can discuss with my tailor, It would be very helpful.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Thank you JC. I really appreciate it. While SF has much to provide I find that there's too much sarcasm around here.

I'm not having any luck feeling any extra fabric, this could also be because I don't have that much experience in knowing what to look for. I like this jacket and if there is advice you can provide that I can discuss with my tailor, It would be very helpful.

Take it to your tailor and he will tell you whether or not it can be done.I think you need to be more cautious buying stuff on eBay,especially worn/altered clothing.At least make sure you know your measurements and always make sure there is extra fabric that can be used.If I were you,I would avoid eBay altogether.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Often if there is not enough material but it's close most tailors try to match a piece of material and extend it to the necessary length. The only thing this changes is the material color in the inner cuff.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New to the Internet?

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
New to the Internet?
No, I am not new to the internet. I wish that the civility in face to face communications carried over to internet conversations. Can you imagine someone saying the same to someone's face? I think that should be the golden rule.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
consider that "professorshak" is new to tailoring. it will take time for him to become as wise as the rest of you.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is discus it with a good tailor you find. I would not pay much attention to some of the attitudes you get from others on the board. I do find that some people do have a hard time remembering that they too once did not have all the knowledge they have now. I guess every forum has those that feel they are a bit better than the rest, that is why I left more than one of my old watch forums, I guess things are just this way on the net now. Al;so don't be worried about Ebay, you can find many great things on Ebay, just make sure you pay attention to feedback.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, it's gettin' pretty snarky around here!

To the OP: Make an effort to locate a competant alterations tailor in your area; mind you, easier said than done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads