• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments.

Actually, the point of my disclaimer-- I rarely dress like this on the street. This is for in church, and on stage.

Street this time of year is a sweater, jeans, and boots, MAYBE a tie. If I'm taking a girl out I'll wear a less flashy version of the first set of pics-- blazer, button down, jeans, dress shoes. Again, maybe a tie.

But I am in church or on stage 5 or more days out of the week, so . . .

And yes I get mad compliments.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see pics of girls that would actually give you a shot...

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is ill fitting, and very ugly. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that, especially the shoes...very 1990's and very tacky.

skeen

Reaction score
At first I thought this was kind of an elaborate joke - I mean, I don't think anyone would think these outfits look good. Even generally, outside of thinking of them as "dress up" clothes or something, it looks like something an early 90s white rapper would wear; certainly there's a hint of MC Hammer in there, and there's no doubt there's some Vanilla Ice!

I didn't even know shoes could look so bad, and the huge tie knot is so very clownish it threw me off that there was any possibility this was serious.

That anyone would compliment you on these clothes is the tragic result of a decline in standards. You're wearing a suit, and a tie, so it must be good, right? Well. A preacher! Yes, you look like a preacher. Heh.

This is not to disparage you; you asked for opinions, I am speaking merely of your dress. I've seen some ridiculous stuff on this forum - not just ridiculous, but with ridiculous price tags to boot! So you're certainly not the worst case!

If you're comfortable in these clothes, and you think they look good somehow, then for you that's great. You must certainly turn some heads. Thanks for sharing.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Color_Me_Badd.jpg

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I would like to see pics of girls that would actually give you a shot...

Don't be a dick, I dislike the way he dresses as much as anyone else but mt_spiffy has usually been a nice guy and the way someone dresses doesn't give you a right to attack his character.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plotter
It's like he's the ugliest man in the world because he has the world's ugliest outfits.
Originally Posted by Mannix
Everything is ill fitting, and very ugly. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that, especially the shoes...very 1990's and very tacky.
To each his own. Everyone is entitled to like what they like. And someone's clothing is not going to make them an ugly person.
Originally Posted by Baran
Personally, I think the recent picture looks much nicer, but still has your style.
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Everybody has a look, this guy wears his clothes with flair and sometimes thats all that matters. The funny thing is he probably gets more compliments on the street then half of us. Classic styling rarely turns heads like a little flash does.
+1. Spiffy has eaten up comments with grace... Kinda unhuman IMO.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Everybody has a look, this guy wears his clothes with flair and sometimes thats all that matters. The funny thing is he probably gets more compliments on the street then half of us. Classic styling rarely turns heads like a little flash does.

This is a fairly irrelevant. I could walk down the streets of suburbia decked out in True Religions, shoes that say "Gucci" on them, and Ed Hardy shirts and get more compliments than most people on this forum.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
But I am in church or on stage 5 or more days out of the week.
Is the church on stage or is the stage in the church?​

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to take the jokes and criticism when the reactions I get from the people that matter are quite different.

To Emmanuel-- you wouldnt BELIEVE the tail that gets thrown at me. But I think that has a lot more to do with being a musician on the road, than what I wear. I know musicians that barely shower or change their shirt and still have mad groupies.

To Edgon, sometimes when we tour with gospel groups, the shows are in mega churches, or even smaller ones. Sunday church services are entirely different, for that matter I probably dress the flashiest for Sunday Service. So do most of the musicians and, for that matter, preachers that I know. It's done just for fun. Some people take "put on your Sunday best" to a whole different extreme.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
To Emmanuel-- you wouldnt BELIEVE the tail that gets thrown at me. But I think that has a lot more to do with being a musician on the road, than what I wear. I know musicians that barely shower or change their shirt and still have mad groupies.

To Edgon, sometimes when we tour with gospel groups, the shows are in mega churches, or even smaller ones. Sunday church services are entirely different, for that matter I probably dress the flashiest for Sunday Service. So do most of the musicians and, for that matter, preachers that I know. It's done just for fun. Some people take "put on your Sunday best" to a whole different extreme.

You should post your tour schedule, with ticket prices and availability.

- B

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I'll post the cities, if anyone wants more detail PM me.

Dec 31 Minneapolis, MN
Jan 1 Gary IN
Jan 3 Cedar Rapids, IA
Jan 10 Milwaukee, WI
And of course every Sunday in Madison, WI

Most of what I do is in Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, LA, and DC.

More information on the groups I am with, as well as my resume, video clips, etc etc, is available on my MySpace page which is already linked somewhere in this thread.

litho

Reaction score
You dress so poorly i don't know where to start. I think none of your clothes fit you even a little bit and if you insist on jeans, can you not find something nicer.

Are you American? I think in europe your clothes would be considered far to baggy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads