• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post here! Need some quick suit help...

ramair57

Reaction score
Glad to finally be on this board! Anyway, just from browsing, I see that most of you guys prefer custom suits, etc, and kinda frown on the "designer" labels. I tend to agree, however, my girlfriend really wants to buy me a suit for all of my upcoming interviews as Im just finishing medical school (finally). Heres the thing, she will only buy it from Saks because thats where her credit card is from; I wont complain because they have some good stuff there, but its all the "designer" stuff you guys hate, lol.

Ok, so I really need some advice from you guys. Im gonna try to find something on sale in the $1,000 range (you know, maybe a 1600-2000 suit that may have a great post xmas sale); if thats not possible, Im willing to go higher. What do you guys think - between Gucci, Prada, Zegna, Dolce & Gabbana, what do you guys think is the best choice. Im looking for a suit that LOOKS awesome, and am a little less concerned with durability at this point (when Im finally making some money in the future, Ill get one with both, lol). Im 5'10" and about 180 pounds, in pretty good shape, if that helps at all. Id appreciate the help guys, I just wanna have a suit that looks great, and people KNOW its not a run of the mill suit - in conclusion, I wanna look like one of those GQ guys, hehe. Appreciate any help you guys can give me; its tough to do this on a strict budget

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a RL suit,I think Saks carries Blue and Black labels,I am not a fan of Black but Blue labels are nice and well made suits.

ramair57

Reaction score
Hmm, I heard good things about those. Arent they way above that price range though?

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramair57
Glad to finally be on this board! Anyway, just from browsing, I see that most of you guys prefer custom suits, etc, and kinda frown on the "designer" labels. I tend to agree, however, my girlfriend really wants to buy me a suit for all of my upcoming interviews as Im just finishing medical school (finally). Heres the thing, she will only buy it from Saks because thats where her credit card is from; I wont complain because they have some good stuff there, but its all the "designer" stuff you guys hate, lol.

Ok, so I really need some advice from you guys. Im gonna try to find something on sale in the $1,000 range (you know, maybe a 1600-2000 suit that may have a great post xmas sale); if thats not possible, Im willing to go higher. What do you guys think - between Gucci, Prada, Zegna, Dolce & Gabbana, what do you guys think is the best choice. Im looking for a suit that LOOKS awesome, and am a little less concerned with durability at this point (when Im finally making some money in the future, Ill get one with both, lol). Im 5'10" and about 180 pounds, in pretty good shape, if that helps at all. Id appreciate the help guys, I just wanna have a suit that looks great, and people KNOW its not a run of the mill suit - in conclusion, I wanna look like one of those GQ guys, hehe. Appreciate any help you guys can give me; its tough to do this on a strict budget

Not caring about the quality makes your search a lot easier. When I bought my first post-Style-Forum suit, I decided that if I am going to spend the money, research and get something I will have for decades. If you are stuck to Saks, and you could be stuck to a worse store, see what they have and do not pay an extra couple of hundred bucks for the name (DG, Gucci). You will want something classic, no loud pinstripes or checks. Those won't go on sale as much in the after Christmas sale bin, but you could get lucky and find a good one. Just make sure the suit it canvassed.

There are several posts about suit quality here, I could tell you some things, but since its already out there, try doing a few searches. Good luck, and btw, I'd start with Zegna...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I heard good things about those. Arent they way above that price range though?

You said you have a budget of $1000,right?You should be able to get a RLBL suit under a $1000 easy,especially with all the Saks sale going on right now.I wouldn't bother with all the suits you listed,get something you can wear in the years to come,black label is a trimmer fit,blue labels are cut very nice as well.I am sure Saks has other decent suits,I just haven't been there for a long time so someone can chime in.

ramair57

Reaction score
Cool guys, cool. quick question, sorry for the ignorance. What is the difference bw Ralph Lauren black and blue labels. Is Blue label "higher up"? Ok, so for now, Im focusing on Zegna or Ralph Lauren from what I gather from you guys

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool guys, cool. quick question, sorry for the ignorance. What is the difference bw Ralph Lauren black and blue labels. Is Blue label "higher up"? Ok, so for now, Im focusing on Zegna or Ralph Lauren from what I gather from you guys
General consensus is that RL Purple Label is on the top,Black Label and Blue Label following PL.Blue Label suits are made by Cornelliani so those are nice,you can't go wrong with them,they must be full-canvass,or half canvass at worst.You maybe able to get the Blue Label suits slightly cheaper than Black Label. As suggested above,try Zegna,you can get nice suits from Zegna.

ramair57

Reaction score
Awesome. Are Ralph Lauren Blue and/or Black labels made in Italy?

athletics

Reaction score
Awesome. Are Ralph Lauren Blue and/or Black labels made in Italy?

Most likely, yes. For me the key to suits are the fit, finish and quality. Name brand and where they came from aren't make or break deals...as long as they know what they are doing.

I would stay away from makers outside of US/Canada and Europe however.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have so limited yourself its tough to provide you any help

You need parameters to better assist you so that when you are shopping, you will know what to look for

Color: Charcoal or Navy (non pin stripe) should be your first suit
Unfortunately, the Italian designers you mentioned prefer black suits...which is not to my liking

Style: Single breasted notch lapel. I love SB peak lapels but until you have a few more suits, I would shy away from the peak lapel

2 or 3 button....likely 3 button given your youth

Fabric: Don't buy into the Super wool race. A super 100 is solid...don't get suckered into the Super 120 and above non-sense...not until you know who is making the cloth and if this will be a special suit which you don't wear every week

With that in mind...don't limit yourself to Saks

Since you do not disclose what city you are located in, none of us can provide you with better information as to a lower cost MTM alternative (you won't find bespoke for $1000). This alternative will best assist in a better fit and make your suit look good

A $1000 suit which fits poorly is a waste of money

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads