• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Danger of Matching Blue?

Reaction score
I have a small question. I have a party to attend in a few months. I'm thinking of going with a v-neck sweater over a lavender dress shirt. The issue is , my pants will be navy blue. Is it a better idea to go for more of a "neutral" color like gray with the sweater...or just go with the navy blue?

And also would it be better to just wear black shoes, or am i going to far by thinking of wearing a darker brown shoe?(I don't have one in mind yet)

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your trousers are going to be navy blue, I would go with a more neutral shade for the sweater. Gray sounds good.

And as far as shoes go, navy and black are a classic combo. Think Air Force/Navy officer uniforms.

I'm not sure brown would work as well.

Reaction score
Thanks alot!

Thats a good suggestion...I'll go with that.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I would with opt for brown as opposed to black. The brown however, should be a darker brown. I have also seen burgundy work well with navy, although it was a suit.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I would with opt for brown as opposed to black. The brown however, should be a darker brown. I have also seen burgundy work well with navy, although it was a suit.

Brown with a gray sweater or a blue one?

and can you show me an example of how dark of a brown?

thanks for helping either way

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I was referring to the shoes..sorry for not stating that..

EDIT: I think you could go with the navy v neck and grey pants with the shoes I had stated...

EDIT EDIT: but then again, I am still learning here..

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RavishinglyRob
I have a small question. I have a party to attend in a few months. I'm thinking of going with a v-neck sweater over a lavender dress shirt. The issue is , my pants will be navy blue. Is it a better idea to go for more of a "neutral" color like gray with the sweater...or just go with the navy blue?

And also would it be better to just wear black shoes, or am i going to far by thinking of wearing a darker brown shoe?(I don't have one in mind yet)

WTF? In a few months?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
rofl!

LMAO @ those 2 replies.

Its actually next month...I'm bored...its winter break...what do you want from me?
confused.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i tend not to overdo the same colors, especially since there may be different undertone colors.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next month is kinda soon...

Anyhow, Navy on Navy is a bad idea. But blue on blue is not, tonal stuff can look really good when done well. As for the shoes I would personally prefer a darke brown pair.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven

Well, I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Navy on black is a very classic combo. You cannot go wrong with it.

Navy on dark brown/burgundy is a little less safe and a little more adventurous -- but very nice if it can be pulled off.

There's an interesting discussion on AAAC on it.

Of course, these mostly apply to suits. But I don't see how they would vary for other outfits.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Well, I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Navy on black is a very classic combo. You cannot go wrong with it.

Navy on dark brown/burgundy is a little less safe and a little more adventurous -- but very nice if it can be pulled off.

There's an interesting discussion on AAAC on it.

Of course, these mostly apply to suits. But I don't see how they would vary for other outfits.

well I'm feeling adventurous I think lol... thanks for the thread link

MiloX

Reaction score
Live on the edge with the rest of us brown shoe wearing mofos. Brown can look spectacular with both navy and grey trou.

Like mentioned earlier, it's about paying attention to the shade of the pants and the shoes. Cordovan looks smashing with navy and charcoals/ darker greys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads