• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrington Jacket

Inficius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
What's your chest size in inches?
How do I measure? Straight across horizontally or around?
Also do you want a traditional British "street" (a euphemism for skinhead
wink.gif
)colour? Or do you want a specific colour that you fancy. If you want a traditional colour go with black, burgundy, cream/beige, navy, brown, or sky blue. Anything else was rare on British skins in the 70s.

Tbqh I just like the jacket. I don't know much about British style, so personally I prefer very dark gray or black. As far as the differences, none of those really bother me except for the longer tabs. I don't intend on having the collar buttoned up, but would that look bad? I like the tabs on Gary's jacket, (your third picture). I'll see about getting a medium. If it's to small, will I be able to send it back? Also, Overstock says it's Navy, but in the pictures it looks black. I like it though.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of people here will rubbish Ben Sherman and tell you to buy "quality" - which usually means adding a '0' to the price tag.

Personally, I like a lot of the Ben Sherman stuff. Designs are often really good and the fit really works for me. Quality is ok, too - it won't last your lifetime, but who wants to be an old codger still wearing that crusty jacket you bought when you were in your 20s? The thing that puts me off BS mostly is the price - it's really only worth about 1/2 to 2/3 what they charge, retail. But if you can find it at overstock - you're laughing.

Oh, and if you care about that sort of thing - Ben Sherman has real history to match the 'street cred' of any of the latest Japanese brands.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Put the tape under your armpits across your nipples and right round your torso for your chest measurement. I'm guessing you'll be about a 38 or 40.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a very "non-skin" Harrington... a suede Loro Piana. No street-cred there!

Still, it's fun to wear. Versatile jacket style, I think.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great info, Spirit of 69. I'm a baracuta guy from my limited (ie, one) exposure to harringtons, but will also have a look at the Merc now.

Inficius

Reaction score
Put the tape under your armpits across your nipples and right round your torso for your chest measurement. I'm guessing you'll be about a 38 or 40.
It is about 18 inches, so going all around would be near 36 (probably a tiny bit less).

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Inficius
It is about 18 inches, so going all around would be near 36 (probably a tiny bit less).

Sorry, I mean wrap the tape right around your body. But anyway at 36-38 a medium should be fine on you.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Yea Justin, that is a bloody good price actually, when you consider that they cost £65 from the Merc shop, which would be what, about $100?

That is the same as my Merc, and it's hard to see in a picture Inficius so you'll just have to take my word for it, that the Merc is of a heavier gauge cotton and is a sturdier jacket all round with a bit more weight to it when compared to what I consider the flimsiness of rhe Baracuta.

You can't get a Merc at that price in the UK. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I didn't already have four Harringtons!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I hadn't just got a new Bundeswehr parka, I'd probably get in on that Merc Harrington myself. Pity they stopped using wool in their suits!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
great pics So69! I'm jealous you got to see Perkele at that (?) gig also great info from So69 imo, the Fred Perry harrington has the best fit. much better (read slimmer) than Baracuta. They are also making a waxed cotton G9 that is made in England which is great for something a bit warmer/weather resistant Warrior is good on a budget. Personally I like Ben Sherman's more than Merc's at around the same price because BS has a slimmer fit and the fabric is 100% cotton as opposed to Merc's cotton/poly mix. But if you get Merc try to get one without the Merc shield badge logo on the chest. looks much better plain. also for those with longer arms, the Ben Shermans have a higher armhole, narrower sleeves and also slightly longer sleeves than what Merc/Warrior offer another good budget option is from Jump the Gun in Brighton. if you have any questions on sizing, Jonathan at JtG is very helpful and responds quickly. they also have good sizing charts on their help page

Inficius

Reaction score
How's it going have you ordered one yet?
Sorry, I haven't checked back here since my last post. Anyways, I got it for Christmas. It feels real high quality and is nice, though I'm not really sure if it fits like it's supposed to. I understand that it's British and assumingly somewhat tight, but as it is now- any smaller then it'd be uncomfortable. I can feel it restrict my movement if I bring my arms up or very slightly if I cross my arms. Right now, the sleeves end right up to my hands and the top of the zipper, (not the buttons), has very little slack in my neck when zipped up. This is good fit, right? I debating whether I should trade it for a large or simply wash it and wait until it loosens up a bit. I could live with how it is now, though I might prefer it a bit bigger, if I indeed did get a size too small. How much bigger would a large be, and how much of a difference, if any, would washing it give? EDIT: To give another example of how it fits, if I bend over to touch my feet it feels extremely tight, where as it feels like it's nearly about to rip at the shoulders. EDIT 2: Even though it's trivial, I want to point out that I'm American so I'm more used to the relax fit. Though, if this is anything like getting a new pair of shoes then I'll get used to it. Also, I wanted to mention that unlike the pictures on the website, there is no lining under the zipper, I guess. It goes straight to the plaid interior, which is something I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads