• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of overcoat am I supposed to wear over a suit?

Toad

Reaction score
What are the requirements for wearing an overcoat over a suit in a business setting? Does the overcoat need to be a specific length (i.e. to the knee)? Is there a specific style I need to follow? Should the colors of the overcoat match the suit? Is this a special kind of overcoat that I'm only supposed to wear with a suit and not with other clothing?

Does anyone have any recommendations of websites where I should purchase the overcoat? Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Thanks!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a sexy one
inlove.gif

But srsly.

Most coats will be either navy, black, charcoal, or camel.

Most stores that sell tailored menswear will also sell suitable coats. Everything from JosABanks, J.Crew, Brooks Bros, etc. Since you're in NYC, include J.Press, Paul Stuart, and I suppose all those other stores we don't have in flyover country
musicboohoo[1].gif

You will need to decide on length. Anything from mid-thigh to near-ankle is allowable, but knee-length is probably the choice most make.

You could go all out silly and get a Chesterfield, which has a fly front (no exposed buttons) and a velvet collar.

Single breasted or double breasted. Make sure to accessorize with a nice scarve though.

You could also try a covert coat.

Stay away from fur unless you are a straight []D [] []V[] []D

010L_Black_enlarged.jpg

060L_Dark-grey_enlarged.jpg

056L_Camel_enlarged.jpg

062L_Black_enlarged.jpg

http://ctshirts.scene7.com/is/image/...RN?$prod_page$

autumn-double-coat.jpg

copyofimgp2787ba2.jpg

Obligatory British aristocrats in bespoke photos:

copy-of-prince-charles.jpg

AnthonyEden.jpg

Obligatory Apparel Arts photos:

overcoats2cu6.jpg

I've been drinking
blush.gif

Toad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Wear a sexy one
inlove.gif

But srsly.

Most coats will be either navy, black, charcoal, or camel.

Most stores that sell tailored menswear will also sell suitable coats. Everything from JosABanks, J.Crew, Brooks Bros, etc. Since you're in NYC, include J.Press, Paul Stuart, and I suppose all those other stores we don't have in flyover country
musicboohoo[1].gif

You will need to decide on length. Anything from mid-thigh to near-ankle is allowable, but knee-length is probably the choice most make.

You could go all out silly and get a Chesterfield, which has a fly front (no exposed buttons) and a velvet collar.

Single breasted or double breasted. Make sure to accessorize with a nice scarve though.

You could also try a covert coat.

Stay away from fur unless you are a straight []D [] []V[] []D

I've been drinking
blush.gif

Thanks greatly mate. This info is of much help.
worship.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Is a duffle coat appropriate to wear over a suit, in say, an interview situation?

Depends. Is your interview with the Royal Navy?

- B

Toad

Reaction score
A 3/4 length coat is acceptable to wear over a suit, right?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toad
A 3/4 length coat is acceptable to wear over a suit, right?
Sure. However, my preference is for knee length or below.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

laxexquis

Reaction score
Hello, These pictures are from mytailor.com. You can see the differences, I like the second one because it has slanted pockets which makes the pockets more accessible which is what you want with a top coat, but I worry it is not dressy enough for business wear. What are you thoughts? Also should I get it in black or charcoal?
Picture3.png
Picture4.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads