• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Films of 2008

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any good lists been published? By good, I mean ones that don't put something like The Dark Knight at the top.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Have any good lists been published? By good, I mean ones that don't put something like The Dark Knight at the top.

Any list that lists Dark Knight, period, shouldn't even be given a second glance.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Slumdog and Wrestler top my list.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Let The Right One In
Slumdog Millionaire
The Visitor
Dr Seuss Horton Hears A who
Wall-E

are some of my highlights, though I suspect I've missed a lot of good Indie stuff this year. Looking forward to The Wrestler.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Wall-E was probably my favorite American movie this year.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think I was the only person who did not enjoy Wall E

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

Not just you. I left to see something else after the first 15 minutes. Wasn't really in the mood for it tho.

Good to see Ironman on Ebert's list. Ironman > The Dark Knight, IMHO.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Any list that lists Dark Knight, period, shouldn't even be given a second glance.

Good luck.

phildo

Reaction score
Let the Right One In was the only movie I saw this year that I thought was good.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

I also didn't enjoy Wall E (or the Dark Knight). Sadly, the best movie I saw this year, excluding TV movies, was KungFu Panda.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wall E was alright. The characters (the two robots), were excellent. I'm quite a film snob sometimes I found the emotional depth of those characters to be a masterpiece by Pixar. The expressiveness in the eyes and the small vocal inflections were really charming, and I say that as someone who tends to be quite cynical about these things. The whole pollution angle and the story arc was quite superficial and not that great, but the interactions between Wall E and Eva, to me, were really something to behold.

The Dark Knight (which I saw 2 weeks ago), was horrible. I cannot believe that the pathetic psychoanalysis of the joker was passed off as depth or character development. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. In fact, I prefer the old batman movies where they weren't trying to be serious. I don't undertsand how Bale, an otherwise serious actor, could tolerate adopting an ultra low, comically horrible voice every time he is Batman. In the last movie, he doesn't talk like that the whole time, now it's normal. The voice change is beyond horrific. I really, seriously hate that movie and all the attention it gets. If it was just some bullshit like Spiderman, then I'd say whatever, but when people start putting Dark Knight on lists with movies that actually have merit, it pisses me off. There is no artistic value whatsoever. It's pseudo film.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no-country-for-old-men-josh-brolin-1.jpg

noCountryForOldMen-1024.jpg

Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E were also very good. I still have not seen Doubt. It's not playing anywhere near me. Anyone else having trouble finding it?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E were also very good. I still have not seen Doubt. It's not playing anywhere near me. Anyone else having trouble finding it?

No country for old men was a 2007 movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics