• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymouz
The purpose of soaking it is to shrink it and to get rid of some excess dye. It won't be raw after soaking/washing because raw means that it's unwashed.

I usually just get them true to size in the waist. They stretch after a bit of wear so it ends up just right.

so should i wash them right after i get them, or get some fades then wash them?

If i were to wash them right after i buy them, would they still sort of like raw jeans?

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
The purpose of soaking it is to shrink it and to get rid of some excess dye. It won't be raw after soaking/washing because raw means that it's unwashed.

I usually just get them true to size in the waist. They stretch after a bit of wear so it ends up just right.

um, not really. To get rid of shrinkage yes, but not to get rid of excess dye.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I want a real store though, so when I go I can see that they are the new fit

A lot of the national department stores carry them. Based on availability, take your pick from J C Penney, (Bergners, Boston Store, etc.), Macy's, most non-discount stores that carry men's jeans will carry them.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatuknowaboutthat
um, not really. To get rid of shrinkage yes, but not to get rid of excess dye.

Actually some people do soak to get rid of excess dye because it will bleed onto your light color clothing and shoes.

It's probably a better idea to soak before fading because the fades will end up in the wrong places after the jeans shrink.

ben65

Reaction score
just received 2 pairs of STF 501 ordered from amazon.
1 black
1 rigid
both are new fit with tag and made in mexico.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Post pics

Actually in general, more pictures please, especially of the fit, would be interesting to compare to the old ones.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Actually some people do soak to get rid of excess dye because it will bleed onto your light color clothing and shoes.

It's probably a better idea to soak before fading because the fades will end up in the wrong places after the jeans shrink.

That sounds like a winning recipe! Why would you want to get rid of excess dye with these when they suck at holding dye to begin with? If you're worried about dye bleeding onto your air force ones, you should go back to hypebeast and kop a pair of saddlemans.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatuknowaboutthat
That sounds like a winning recipe! Why would you want to get rid of excess dye with these when they suck at holding dye to begin with? If you're worried about dye bleeding onto your air force ones, you should go back to hypebeast and kop a pair of saddlemans.

Well, that is true - they do lose dye really quickly.
What's hypebeast?

mondayc

Reaction score
hypebeast?
I have answers.
l_f5dfcf01b0071c94c699e2d6ddd17ff3.png

I'd like to see more pics of the new 501 fit, especially the STF.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
LOL best answer ever. THe dude (or is that a chick) avoids the "denim bleeding onto white shooz" dilemma by avoiding jeans altogether. Thats also the route you can take as well anonymouz

ben65

Reaction score
i soaped them twice in cold wash(1hr each) and rinsed a few times, as usual the 1st few rinses are terrible, plenty of dye bleeding.
they are still drying now and i did a measurement comparison the new with old STF made in mexico 501 i have. the new 501 is with fit lower rise(a few inches shorter) and are slightly slimmer throughout the leg. as i getting 1 size up, the feel is still slightly roomier after shrinking.
amazon are selling them at $34.99 a pair with free shipping, definitely worth a try if you are interested.

sayocean

Reaction score
Measurements taken BiG style No soak/wash size 29/30
3160841859_ea180baac4_o.jpg
waist 15.25 rise 12 back rise 15 thigh 12 inseam 30.25 knee 8.5 hem 8 Post HOT soak for 2 hours, drip dry
3160839163_23c5d676e7_o.jpg
waist 29 rise 11.5 back rise 14.5 thigh 11.5 inseam 28.5 knee 8.25 hem 7.5

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Are you sure that's the new '47 cut? Looks boxy like the older models.

sayocean

Reaction score
yep. these actually fit very similar to my LVC 47's in size 29x34. Don't have that pair with me here in ATL but i'll compare measurements when I can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads