• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jeans alterations

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey SF,

I bought my New Cures about a month ago in a size 30. They're probably done/close to done stretching now, and while I like the fit in general (especially through the legs), the top block is a little bit loose for my tastes. I'd like to get the crotch and hips taken in a bit, and also possible have the waist darted half an inch or so.

I understand that doing so would make my jeans have a different shape than when I bought them, but I really just want my jeans to fit well and look flattering. Would these alterations be possible without totally screwing up the shape of the jeans?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
This question has been asked and answered plenty of times before...

The answers are always the same:
-Those kinds of alterations almost always end up messy.
-It's less of a question of if it can be done and more of who will be doing the alterations.
-YMMV, proceed at your own risk.
-Just buy a pair that fits the way you want it to or that will end up fitting how you want it to in the long run.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
This question has been asked and answered plenty of times before...

The answers are always the same:
-Those kinds of alterations almost always end up messy.
-It's less of a question of if it can be done and more of who will be doing the alterations.
-YMMV, proceed at your own risk.
-Just buy a pair that fits the way you want it to or that will end up fitting how you want it to in the long run.

Fair enough.

I get what you're saying about buying jeans that will end up fitting well in the long run, but I got these tried these jeans on at a SF affiliate and asked the owner if he/she thought they'd end up fitting well in the long run. The owner said they would, and at this point, they don't really fit too well. I'm a high school student, and I can't afford to just go out and buy another pair of jeans now.

So I'm kind of pissed off about all of this.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your two posts you have gone from "they are a bit too loose in the top block" all the way to "they don't fit well" as you try to shift the blame from yourself to an affiliates employee - which is it?

You can't blame the affiliate store or it's employees for your problem. You tried on the jeans and they looked good or you wouldn't have bought them. There is an entire thread here devoted to APC sizing questions - In the 6 months you've been on this site, did you read through that at all?

There is no formula or perfect recipe to sizing a pair of jeans, most of us have bought items that either shrunk or stretched beyond our size at one point or another. If you don't like the fit, sell them on the buy/sell thread to get some money back and go buy another pair. Otherwise get them tailored at your own risk.

Whodini gave you the answers you needed and you've completely ignored them so far.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
In your two posts you have gone from "they are a bit too loose in the top block" all the way to "they don't fit well" as you try to shift the blame from yourself to an affiliates employee - which is it?
They fit almost perfectly from the hem to the upper/mid thigh. From there on up, the fit isn't great. It's not as though they fit like FUBU jeans, but the looseness up top causes some hip flare and requires me to pull up my pants rather often. They certainly aren't terrible; maybe I just expected too much out of the APC's because they're more expensive than my older jeans.

You can't blame the affiliate store or it's employees for your problem. You tried on the jeans and they looked good or you wouldn't have bought them. There is an entire thread here devoted to APC sizing questions - In the 6 months you've been on this site, did you read through that at all?
I did think the jeans looked good when I bought them, but that was before they stretched. The store employee said they'd stretch out about a size, and they seem to have stretched out by more that a size. I've read the APC sizing thread, but opinions on how much to size down seem to differ a lot, especially for New Cures. Also, I lost a lot of weight before purchasing the APC's, and thus didn't really have any particular pair of well-fitting jeans to compare sizes with. I admit that the last reason is my fault.

There is no formula or perfect recipe to sizing a pair of jeans, most of us have bought items that either shrunk or stretched beyond our size at one point or another. If you don't like the fit, sell them on the buy/sell thread to get some money back and go buy another pair. Otherwise get them tailored at your own risk.

Whodini gave you the answers you needed and you've completely ignored them so far.
Whodini insinuated that alterations would be a bad idea unless I have a tailor who I really trust, which I don't. Ergo, I'm not getting the jeans altered. He said that another option was to just buy a pair that I know will fit well, so I explained why I can't really do that (at least until the NC's are worn out, maybe a year or so from now).

I guess I'll just wear the jeans and hope that creasing/fading ends up helping them look better. I'm studying for finals right now, so maybe that's why I'm pissy.
shog[1].gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its that bad, and I doubt it is, why not just soak them often so that they shrink back?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^No, it isn't that bad. Finals+OCD=I get kind of crazy. But yeah, if they start getting fat, I'll soak 'em and throw on a little bit of starch. Sorry to anyone whom this thread annoyed.

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
They fit almost perfectly from the hem to the upper/mid thigh. From there on up, the fit isn't great. It's not as though they fit like FUBU jeans, but the looseness up top causes some hip flare and requires me to pull up my pants rather often. They certainly aren't terrible; maybe I just expected too much out of the APC's because they're more expensive than my older jeans.

I did think the jeans looked good when I bought them, but that was before they stretched. The store employee said they'd stretch out about a size, and they seem to have stretched out by more that a size. I've read the APC sizing thread, but opinions on how much to size down seem to differ a lot, especially for New Cures. Also, I lost a lot of weight before purchasing the APC's, and thus didn't really have any particular pair of well-fitting jeans to compare sizes with. I admit that the last reason is my fault.

Whodini insinuated that alterations would be a bad idea unless I have a tailor who I really trust, which I don't. Ergo, I'm not getting the jeans altered. He said that another option was to just buy a pair that I know will fit well, so I explained why I can't really do that (at least until the NC's are worn out, maybe a year or so from now).

I guess I'll just wear the jeans and hope that creasing/fading ends up helping them look better. I'm studying for finals right now, so maybe that's why I'm pissy.
shog[1].gif

same thing happened to my new cures. after two weeks, the waist and seat stretched out a ton, and things don't look so great back there. i should have gotten a 25 instead of a 26. it's disappointing, but i'm hoping they shrink back when i wash them in two months. (i've worn them every day for four months. no, they do not smell.)

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Right, so go to suggestion #2 and sell them on the buy/sell thread here or sufu. Not that hard, there's always a demand for "like new" APC's at say, $20 off the retail. Consider that $20 loss your "newbie tax" you have to pay for being a first time APC buyer. Then you take that money from selling the jeans, put $20 of your own money back into it - call up the affiliate and order one size smaller than before. Not too complicated, is it?
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads