• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmb

Reaction score
I wonder if Alden could pull off a cordovan double monk strap double sole model -- something like a Lobb 'William' I would buy it if done correctly...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
I wonder if Alden could pull off a cordovan double monk strap double sole model -- something like a Lobb 'William' I would buy it if done correctly...
I doubt they'd want to. A double strap isn't very New England-y.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A double monk would be the last shoe Alden would do.

You are far more likely to see a discarded MTO AE Mora in shell

wmb

Reaction score
It seems like a double monk is very English, hence potentially New Englandish? Especially if it has the Alden heft... Oh well, will have to save up for the Lobbs...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the issue is not that a style is decidely un-Alden, it's that they simply don't release new models. If anything they might use just a frankenstein of existing patterns and call it a new model. I doubt they have a double monk pattern anywhere.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
A double monk would be the last shoe Alden would do.

You are far more likely to see a discarded MTO AE Mora in shell

Nicest double Monk I've seen was a burgundy shell AE Mora replete with black cap toe. It was sold by the teutonic seller on eBay.

Morgan

Reaction score
robin, I've never seen the longwings in cigar before - they're gorgeous! Who sells/sold that model?

Also, what last are those #8 wingtip boots on? Are those the AF79 on the Leydon last?

I think my next purchase will be the 986 LHS, but the 911 medallion cap toe is nice too.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
robin, I've never seen the longwings in cigar before - they're gorgeous! Who sells/sold that model?

Also, what last are those #8 wingtip boots on? Are those the AF79 on the Leydon last?

I think my next purchase will be the 986 LHS, but the 911 medallion cap toe is nice too.

Cigar longwings are hard to come by. Your best bet is to ask the Alden shops on a regular basis if they've gotten any in.

The #8 wingtip boots are on the plaza last and were from Leather Soul. The cigar wingtip boots are on the barrie last and were from Alden of Carmel. I've since sold all three pairs (the longwings brought in twice what I paid for them).

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^Where did you get that Plaza-lasted chukka?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
^^^Where did you get that Plaza-lasted chukka?
J. Gilbert. They got a restock of them a couple months back, but I don't know what they have left. Check with Alden of Carmel as well, I'm sure both of them will reorder more if your size is out of stock.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
i just checked out their catalog, those are really nice shoes! very classy, old fashioned, continental. i think the only downside is that you'll need clothes that are on par with the quality of the shoes, because you don't want your shoes to outshine the rest of your outfit!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tarmac,

why did you get rid of the #8 boots? I can understand not needing both the cap-toe oxford and the cap-toe boots, but I would've kept at least one of the them... Did your taste shift towards other brands, or did the crappy economy influence you to sell off all your excess goods?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't speak for tarmac, but I also had pairs of both the 4060's and 4065's which I eventually sold as well. I just got tired of shell cordovan in general, the stuff is way overrated for the premium you pay.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how could I forget one, these are in current rotation

aldenplainshell.jpg

I got rid of the others because I had bought 3 pair of shell at once, I couldn't blow 1k at once on shoes.

rbny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
alden_indies_2-1.jpg

Robin, what Alden model and color are the wingtips? Also, is that color if Indy only available from Leather Soul Hawaii or are they available generally? That's the only Indy color I like but for some reason Aldenshop only displays the light brown, or rather some light brown cognac something which I don't like.

If I'm not mistaken, they look like the Ultimate Indy Boot from Leathersoul Hawaii. I just received mine a few days ago (orderd them back in June) in size 9D and I have been wearing them all the time. This is my sixth pair of Alden; second Indy model. The first was the AF64 from Alden of Carmel; good boot but I ordered a half size too small. I actually think my foot grew a half size since getting the AF64's a few years ago.

Now, I wear 9D's in both their Barrie and Tru-B lasts and 9.5D in their Plaza lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads