• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need beautiful leather sofas

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to panel a the walls in my living room in walnut and want to create a very English club room like the library at my parent's house. I want two large leather sofas with the brass studs. Thing is, I may have to have them custom built, because the ones you see at the Savoy and other typical English establishments are a bit low and being tall (and having mostly tall friends), I want something larger.

Willing to pay ~7k or a bit more for each, but I'll consider all options. In fact, please offer suggestions for any beautiful (3 seat) sofas that will fit such a richly appointed room. The floor is going to be done in black and white checked marble, or maybe a really beautiful walnut as well, I'm not sure yet. I will also consider upholstered if they include some really beautiful wood veneer. I've already bought an incredible drum table and a large persian rug that I've had in storage for 3 years, waiting for the right time.

wmb

Reaction score
george smith makes great chesterfields. they are pricey but well made. trad english and well made. www.georgesmith.com

they have 50 off sales twice a year.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not mix it up a bit? Get something like this in leather:

TOGOCORNER_1_Large.jpg

Horrible photo of a leather version:

DSC01194.JPG

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Why not mix it up a bit? Get something like this in leather:

TOGOCORNER_1_Large.jpg

Horrible photo of a leather version:

DSC01194.JPG

I'm not looking to "mix it up" in the way you mean. Did you read at all what I'm doing with the room? Unfortunately those sofas look like the back of kwilk's neck. They are completely and totally hideous.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised you're not into mod furniture. All the cool kids are.
rimshot.gif
I like the sound of this "English" room. Good luck with it.

turboman808

Reaction score
Dam sounds like your gonna have a sweet setup.

The post about the modern furniture cracked me up. Seriously when it comes to furniture this seems to be the TrendyForum.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Chester from Poltrona Frau ...it is quite expensive but given the current climate you might get a bargain.

1245-Chester-bank.jpg

I can still remember the smell of PF store in Soho the first time I walked into there over 10 years ago.
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems just like some other "esoteric" brand names this PF furniture (which is garbage) is posted at evry opportunity here. Is it sort of aspirational product for you folks?
This furniture is made of polyurethane and cheap ply wood. No amount of goose down insde it's cushions would make this a superior product.
Marketing BS FTW.
Another perfect example of mass-exclusivity product for the bumpkins.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Actually, that is not correct dkzzzz, the Chester, like the other traditional pieces in PF's collection, has a solid wood frame, conical springs, jute webbing, botanical horsehair, and is entirely hand made in the traditional manner. It really is a superior product of first-class quality.

The modern pieces in the collection may utilize some of the materials you mentioned ...but that does not automatically make them inferior products. You are correct to use the term mass-exclusivity (massclusivity) -- but is that really such a terrible thing?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
It seems just like some other "esoteric" brand names this PF furniture (which is garbage) is posted at evry opportunity here. Is it sort of aspirational product for you folks?
This furniture is made of polyurethane and cheap ply wood. No amount of goose down insde it's cushions would make this a superior product.
Marketing BS FTW.
Another perfect example of mass-exclusivity product for the bumpkins.

For the money I'm willing to pay, I'd prefer a small factory or even totally handmade. I've bumped up my budget to be more inline with reality. Those george smith are stunning, like many of the ones I've seen. I just wish I could find something with a higher back.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

While "mixing it up" might not be your thing, it doesn't mean you have to be predictable either.

A very reputable New York dealer has a pair of these Ward Bennett sofas, for $16k the pair. It fits the look just fine, but is a little more 60's "Mad Men", and a little less "Ye Old English Club". Excellent condition with new leather (seat height is 16.5"), with the added bonus of superb pedigree and future value.

Or...hire a decorator. If you can't figure it out yourself, I would never consult a chat forum (i have no clue why so many people here ask other people their opinions so much).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass

While "mixing it up" might not be your thing, it doesn't mean you have to be predictable either.

A very reputable New York dealer has a pair of these Ward Bennett sofas, for $16k the pair. It fits the look just fine, but is a little more 60's "Mad Men", and a little less "Ye Old English Club". Excellent condition with new leather (seat height is 16.5"), with the added bonus of superb pedigree and future value.

Or...hire a decorator. If you can't figure it out yourself, I would never consult a chat forum (i have no clue why so many people here ask other people their opinions so much).

I don't need to hire a decorator. I think it's great to "mix it up", but that doesn't mean you have to buy something homely. Predictability doesn't bother me necessarily. I happen to like Ye Old English, it's very familiar and one of my favourite rooms as a child was exactly that.

As for asking advice here, I'm interested in very small firms and you can often source these things here. There are people who have experience with buying custom furniture. I'm not interested in buying some Herman Miller equivalent. This is also not my only source. I've been looking around and have already bought a number of pieces.

Those sofas are in LA by the way, not New York.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I happen to like Ye Old English, it's very familiar and one of my favourite rooms as a child was exactly that.
Well, while there's nothing wrong with traditional or recreating childhood comfort...there's nothing particularly right about it either. It was just a suggestion meant to open up your options a bit.

But to suggest these Ward Bennett pieces are "homely", coupled with many of your other comments, tells me you lack sophistication in design, and don't seem open to expanding beyond that.

Those sofas are in LA by the way, not New York.
Yep...hard to keep track of all the dealers. No matter...New York or LA, it's just a slight difference in shipping costs.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Well, while there's nothing wrong with traditional or recreating childhood comfort...there's nothing particularly right about it either. It was just a suggestion meant to open up your options a bit.

But to suggest these Ward Bennett pieces are "homely", coupled with many of your other comments, tells me you lack sophistication in design, and don't seem open to expanding beyond that.

Yep...hard to keep track of all the dealers. No matter...New York or LA, it's just a slight difference in shipping costs.

You are among the dumbest people on the internet. First of all, I was not refering to what you posted as homely. I was refering to those orange couches that someone suggested earlier. I am doing a room such as the one I want on purpose. It is not the first place I've made for myself and for someone my age, I've owned many, many different pieces ranging from Louis XIV to Saarinen and MvdR, and have been fortunate to have lived in several places with a variety of well represented styles and epochs.

Stop following me around with your poor reading comprehension. I don't need you to expand my horizons. I'm guessing by the fact that you think that Toronto is great, that you are poor, have not travelled much and are probably poorly educated, most likely at a mediocre canadian institution. You are indeed a small timer, and I ask that you stay out of my threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads