• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I went to Canoe.

People do complain about Toronto not being a real landmark food city, but I liked it. I have, by the way, been to two of Mark Mcwehan's places. Canoe was exactly what I was looking for and the view was great. There was a lot of foie gras, and I had some Alberta beef which was nice. Everything was a hit. There wasn't anything daring or too adventurous, and in general I've found that not many chefs in that city have much of a point of view, but it was well executed food that tasted great, which is what I asked for, so thank you.

Bah! Canoe is nice but overrated imo. I love the JK wine bar. Best bang for the buck and awesome food.

p.s. I am from Montreal and have lived in Toronto for 10 years and it's not so bad (and layoff the Jewish kids will ya).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Bah! Canoe is nice but overrated imo. I love the JK wine bar. Best bang for the buck and awesome food.

p.s. I am from Montreal and have lived in Toronto for 10 years and it's not so bad (and layoff the Jewish kids will ya).

Hah everyone I knew in Montreal was a jew too. The toronto ones just have this particular way of talking which the other kids have adopted too. I can't tell you if Canoe is overrated or not since I don't know how it's rated. If that's supposed to be like the best restaurant in Toronto according to some people then yea, I'd say so too.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Read back, I didn't start that.
Really??

Toronto has no soul.
You live in toronto? Chances are absolutely spectacular that you are not so stylish yourself.
As for flavour, it doesn't have anything distinct. There is nothing distinctly toronto aside from Front St. and all its stupid tourist traps. There is nothing quintessentially toronto except for douchey jewish kids who try to talk like surfers, embarassing leaf fans, and the ******* CN tower.
Being there this week has reminded me of all this, and has reinforced why I never come through here.
It's a boring city with a fairly uptight conservative culture. Actually, there is no real culture.
The bar scene is lame and within Canada everyone hates Toronto.
For someone who obviously knows nothing about either Toronto or Montreal...you sure seem to have an issue. And please don't pretend to educate me on anything about Toronto, Montreal or Canada...I'm sure I forgot a million times more than you will ever know.

Front Street??????

Jewish kids???????????

Who knows what the **** you are talking about.

Look...my advice to you was not to be a dumb tourist...if you choose to ignore that, as well as be a crass **** on top of it...then you deserve to remain clueless.

P.S. We let Montrealer's go on all they like...it's harmless to let them think it's still 1967.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Canoe was exactly what I was looking for and the view was great. There was a lot of foie gras, and I had some Alberta beef which was nice. Everything was a hit. There wasn't anything daring or too adventurous, but it was well executed food that tasted great, which is what I asked for
If a great view, gracious and relaxed hospitality, good portions of straight forward but well executed food, lots of foie, then I think Scaramouche would have fit the bill better than Canoe in th "feel good" category to take guests. It's Midtown instead of the Financial District, and worth getting in before they close in the next year after 30 years.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Really??

For someone who obviously knows nothing about either Toronto or Montreal...you sure seem to have an issue. And please don't pretend to educate me on anything about Toronto, Montreal or Canada...I'm sure I forgot a million times more than you will ever know.

Front Street??????

Jewish kids???????????

Who knows what the **** you are talking about.

Look...my advice to you was not to be a dumb tourist...if you choose to ignore that, as well as be a crass **** on top of it...then you deserve to remain clueless.

P.S. We let Montrealer's go on all they like...it's harmless to let them think it's still 1967.

You idiot douchebag, I lived in Montreal. I have a lot of friends at McGill and UofT. I have family that lives in Forrest Hill and I've been going to Toronto anually since I was about 8. I even had to live there in the summer, which included going to Muskoka on the weekends. Believe me, I know everything about the social scene of that place as far as the types of people who inhabit the city. Read up on the montreal recommendation thread as well. I dropped knowledge.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I've been going to Toronto anually since I was about 8.

From the way you conduct yourself , that makes it what...about 4 years now?

No wonder you can't make friends wherever you go (including here).

So you lived in Montreal...explains the Toronto resentment.

You have visited family in Forest Hill...explains those weird anti-jew comments.

Ok...it all makes sense now.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the way you conduct yourself , that makes it what...about 4 years now?

No wonder you can't make friends wherever you go (including here).

So you lived in Montreal...explains the Toronto resentment.

You have visited family in Forest Hill...explains those weird anti-jew comments.

Ok...it all makes sense now.

They aren't anti-jew comments. My jewish friends from UCC agree and laugh at how I call them toronto surfers. Family on my dad's side is jewish (the family in forrest hill, no less), by the way. I think like 80% of my friends are jewish, and my first girlfriend was jewish, so please, spare me that bullshit. Also, who said I can't make friends? Where are you getting that from? I have a blast wherever I go, including your boring little city. If e-friends matter, I have plenty. Please read any of the threads I've posted in. I have more than enough people who are quite happy being my e-friend.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't anti-jew comments. My jewish friends from UCC agree and laugh at how I call them toronto surfers. Family on my dad's side is jewish (the family in forrest hill, no less), by the way. I think like 80% of my friends are jewish, and my first girlfriend was jewish, so please, spare me that bullshit. Also, who said I can't make friends? Where are you getting that from? I have a blast wherever I go, including your boring little city. If e-friends matter, I have plenty. Please read any of the threads I've posted in. I have more than enough people who are quite happy being my e-friend.

youre actually going on about how many e-friends you have?
frown.gif

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
They aren't anti-jew comments.
Oh right...I forgot...they were anti-Toronto jew comments. ha ha

I was completely thrown by how you concentrated on such a strange topic as jewish kids...very odd insight in overall terms of the city. But seeing as your exposure to Toronto is limited to Forest hill jewish kids going to Upper Canada College, I can see why. Which must mean you were (and still are) just a kid yourself.

Nobody would say such absurd things about Toronto unless you either don't have a clue, or do know, but pretend otherwise for silly reasons (like Montrealer envy-resentment).

I have a blast wherever I go, including your boring little city.
The Toronto cracks are really a bit old. You like Montreal? Great...I like Montreal too. Only even Montrealers are tired of the usual anti-Toronto crap. We all know besides snow removal and french language, Toronto left Montreal in the dust a very long time ago in every catagory. And yes, that even means bagels (I'll take a Gryfe's any day).

Please read any of the threads I've posted in.
I have no idea why you would make that suggestion...I did look, and it appears pretty much all of them tend to be confrontational, or just trying to impress people on the internet.

Look...I come here to have fun trading info/opinions on interesting things...not have these pointless fights. I won't claim total innocence in the matter, so meet me just 1/3 of the way, and I'm sure we can all be better SF people.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh right...I forgot...they were anti-Toronto jew comments. ha ha

I was completely thrown by how you concentrated on such a strange topic as jewish kids...very odd insight in overall terms of the city. But seeing as your exposure to Toronto is limited to Forest hill jewish kids going to Upper Canada College, I can see why. Which must mean you were (and still are) just a kid yourself.

Nobody would say such absurd things about Toronto unless you either don't have a clue, or do know, but pretend otherwise for silly reasons (like Montrealer envy-resentment).

The Toronto cracks are really a bit old. You like Montreal? Great...I like Montreal too. Only even Montrealers are tired of the usual anti-Toronto crap. We all know besides snow removal and french language, Toronto left Montreal in the dust a very long time ago in every catagory. And yes, that even means bagels (I'll take a Gryfe's any day).

I have no idea why you would make that suggestion...I did look, and it appears pretty much all of them tend to be confrontational, or just trying to impress people on the internet.

Look...I come here to have fun trading info/opinions on interesting things...not have these pointless fights. I won't claim total innocence in the matter, so meet me just 1/3 of the way, and I'm sure we can all be better SF people.

Montreal is far better than Toronto in night life, festivals, music, food, and sports. Those are things that matter to me most. You cannot argue with me on any of these grounds.

And no, my experience with the city goes beyond UCC. I point out toronto jews is because they are, to some torontonians (including the jamaicans I know from the volunteer work I did) and to Montrealers and even ontarians as close as Pickering or out in Thunder Bay, is that they are the equivalent of valley girls. Many people have experienced this. At McGill, almost every torontonian kid fits that description. All nice kids, just all very stereotypical, and yea, I found them mostly quite immature but harmless. Sorry dude, but Toronto isn't my thing. I hate the new opera house, the TSO is trash (Oundjian will hopefully get fired any day), the ROM could have been beautiful if they went for all glass, now it looks like a scrap pile, and in general I just find it to be a bland city culturally. Their big claim to fame are things like Carabana, which honestly, having been 5 times, I didn't find that fun compared to say, the Puerto Rican parade in NYC.

The only two areas I consider Toronto to be better are in shopping and TIFF. TIFF is probably my favourite film festival, but I haven't been able to attend South by Southwest yet so until I have, I cannot say it is the best major international festival.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
He's only bragging about me, and you do the same. So hush!

You count as like 10 e-friends.
teacha.gif

And thanks for thinking of me.
inlove.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montreal is far better than Toronto in night life, festivals, music, food, and sports. Those are things that matter to me most. You cannot argue with me on any of these grounds.

And no, my experience with the city goes beyond UCC. I point out toronto jews is because they are, to some torontonians (including the jamaicans I know from the volunteer work I did) and to Montrealers and even ontarians as close as Pickering or out in Thunder Bay, is that they are the equivalent of valley girls. Many people have experienced this. At McGill, almost every torontonian kid fits that description. All nice kids, just all very stereotypical, and yea, I found them mostly quite immature but harmless. Sorry dude, but Toronto isn't my thing. I hate the new opera house, the TSO is trash (Oundjian will hopefully get fired any day), the ROM could have been beautiful if they went for all glass, now it looks like a scrap pile, and in general I just find it to be a bland city culturally. Their big claim to fame are things like Carabana, which honestly, having been 5 times, I didn't find that fun compared to say, the Puerto Rican parade in NYC.

The only two areas I consider Toronto to be better are in shopping and TIFF. TIFF is probably my favourite film festival, but I haven't been able to attend South by Southwest yet so until I have, I cannot say it is the best major international festival.

it definately isnt better in night life, or sports. yes it has more of a european nightlife feel, but toronto still has better clubs and more options. youre just pulling **** out of your ass, how on earth could they be ahead of us in sports when we have the raptors, bluejays, maple leafs, now toronto fc, and all they have is the canadians. stop talking about things you have no idea about.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
it definately isnt better in night life, or sports. yes it has more of a european nightlife feel, but toronto still has better clubs and more options. youre just pulling **** out of your ass, how on earth could they be ahead of us in sports when we have the raptors, bluejays, maple leafs, now toronto fc, and all they have is the canadians. stop talking about things you have no idea about.

The leafs are an embarassment. The raptors are now terrible. Canadians games are way more fun. The atmosphere in those games are electric. Toronto? A bunch of bankers in suits who leave before the 3rd period starts. I actually used to like the raptors, but their desperation to be a FIBA team has just become embarassing. I'd much rather have one exciting team than 3 mediocre ones.

Better night clubs in Toronto? Is that a total, complete joke? Toronto's clubs are so lame it isn't even funny. The city didn't even allow bottle service until a couple years ago. Ask any person from NYC or LA who has been to both, and see what they say. There are so many clubs in Montreal that are better than anything in Toronto. Toronto doesn't even really have anything like St. Laurent. When you look at the kind of fun that happens on NYE or Grand Prix (which sadly is now gone), you just can't compare. As someone who has spent a lot of time going out in great night life cities like NY and London, I can tell you that Montreal is much closer to those than Toronto is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads