• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magna/summa *** laude on resume

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Yeah I agree, if you are insecure
This is it, in a nutshell. He's got such Ivy dick-envy that he can't see straight. There's nothing wrong with OSU or a state school. Cunny has it in mind that he's really in competition for these uber-elite Waspy positions... well... I don't see it happening. If he transfers to XXYY Elite School, he'll still be behind the curve and behind those kids who've been there/done that already. At least at OSU he can work his ass off, make good connections, and get a lot of work done. He's a smart guy and can do whatever he wants... I just wish he'd stop pissing his pants about his school. I've studied at the best, the middle, and the pretty crappy... given some life circumstances that have intervened. There are certainly some differences all in all, but a lot of it is in what you do with it and the research/work that you do.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I already have better connections (as a college junior) than just about any of the former HS classmates I keep in touch with. That is not bragging, just a matter of fact.

I would not get into a top 25 university, I am quite content with being in the next 25.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yeah, I guess that is true. There are, what, 4,000 colleges in the U.S.? The actual number of honors degrees granted must be pretty small.

Well . . . yeah. That's why they are honors degrees.
plain.gif

The whole system is fu(ked anyway
frown.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would not get into a top 25 university, I am quite content with being in the next 25.

Then BE CONTENT. SRSLY. You are obviously bothered by all this stuff because you post about it all the time. Work your ass off NOW and then worry about all this stuff later.

You are 20 years old. Don't even start worrying about this future stuff yet. Work hard, get great grades, make LOTS of contacts (like you are doing) and then, when the time comes, worry about the rest of the stuff.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Do you know what's kicking you ********** Conny? It's pride.
lol8[1].gif
Your school isn't as bad as people here made it out to be. It's quite well known for one thing (no pun intended).
I'm not disappointed.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always put on my resume that my B.A. from UCLA was granted with "Highest Honors." It kind of surprised me, as my GPA wasn't super-great, about a 3.6 (lotta B's in my first two years). I always suspected it may have been for taking tough courses like Sanskrit and getting into Oxford. However, I was honest on my resumes and always said that I only got a Second at Oxford.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
J,

Did you do Rhodes or Albright or did you read postgrad education at Oxford?

QUOTE=JLibourel;1582642]I always put on my resume that my B.A. from UCLA was granted with "Highest Honors." It kind of surprised me, as my GPA wasn't super-great, about a 3.6 (lotta B's in my first two years). I always suspected it may have been for taking tough courses like Sanskrit and getting into Oxford. However, I was honest on my resumes and always said that I only got a Second at Oxford.[/quote]

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
Do you know what's kicking you ********** Conny? It's pride.
lol8[1].gif
Your school isn't as bad as people here made it out to be. It's quite well known for one thing (no pun intended).

rolleyes.gif
That claim is made for every single university that has ever been "known" in the world of sports, particularly in the past couple of decades.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Is this something people generally do? I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.
If you've earned it, put it on your resume. Nothing wrong with pointing out that you've done well in school. And you would be surprised how few people actually have a good GPA coming out of college. I have to admit that one of the reasons I put off Grad School for so long was because I was embarrassed that I went from a 3.8 in high school to a 2.77 in college. Of course, I also discovered alcohol
smile.gif

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Not that bad. I went from a 4.6 in high school to a 3.4, that's a 0.2 drop lower than you.
lol8[1].gif
I also discovered poker.

Originally Posted by Bradford
If you've earned it, put it on your resume. Nothing wrong with pointing out that you've done well in school. And you would be surprised how few people actually have a good GPA coming out of college.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I put off Grad School for so long was because I was embarrassed that I went from a 3.8 in high school to a 2.77 in college. Of course, I also discovered alcohol
smile.gif

Agnacious

Reaction score
Is this something people generally do?

I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.

If you make no reference to an honors level (even *** laude) people will assume you graduated with a GPA of 2.6 (or something less than 3.5). You may want to list the number if it was on the cusp of the next level up, assuming there was one, to make yourself stand out.

You first (or two) job is no place for false modesty. You are selling yourself based on your CV and if all you have done, relevant to the job you want, is your studies then don't hold back on exploiting this to its fullest.

As you gain experience what you did in college decreases in importance rapidly.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
nobody really cares where you went to college fyi, get some self confidence, good lord.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads