• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Pants Question (I checked search!)

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I know you guys hate these type of threads because there is an abundance of information in older ones, but looking through search I couldn't find a thread I read previously that discussed what you should tell your tailor to do.

I'm real new to this "style game" and after reading this forum hours on end, I was able to buy a few dress pants which are slim fitting and a good look for me.. The only problem is I have midget legs (well not midget, but I'm like 5"10 and my legs are 29.5) and need to get everything tailored. I don't want to go my standard route and give them to the half-assed tailor connected to my building. This time I'm going to a nice italian tailor and I want to be able to tell him how they should look. This is where I need your guy's help.

The advice in the previous thread discussed how they should be cut (I think there was a mention of angle at the bottom) & break. Also should I tell him to cut khaki's differently than dress pants?

Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of effort into buying nicer clothes lately and I would love to look well put together for once.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I know you guys hate these type of threads because there is an abundance of information in older ones, but looking through search I couldn't find a thread I read previously that discussed what you should tell your tailor to do.

I'm real new to this "style game" and after reading this forum hours on end, I was able to buy a few dress pants which are slim fitting and a good look for me.. The only problem is I have midget legs (well not midget, but I'm like 5"10 and my legs are 29.5) and need to get everything tailored. I don't want to go my standard route and give them to the half-assed tailor connected to my building. This time I'm going to a nice italian tailor and I want to be able to tell him how they should look. This is where I need your guy's help.

The advice in the previous thread discussed how they should be cut (I think there was a mention of angle at the bottom) & break. Also should I tell him to cut khaki's differently than dress pants?

Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of effort into buying nicer clothes lately and I would love to look well put together for once.

Im about 5"10 and I like my narrow leg opening trousers at 29.5in.
eh.gif
. Thats normal. YOu should always have your trousers hemmed regardless. Going even further I usually have the entire pant altered for the right fit on OTR stuff including seat, thigh and leg opening.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finding a good tailor is about his ability to advise you on these matters as much as his tailoring skills. Give him a ball park idea of what you want to achieve and then let him tell you how to get there.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Im about 5"10 and I like my narrow leg opening trousers at 29.5in.
eh.gif
. Thats normal. YOu should always have your trousers hemmed regardless. Going even further I usually have the entire pant altered for the right fit on OTR stuff including seat, thigh and leg opening.

That seems like a lot for me to do considering I don't even know what to do for break / angle / length. I think maybe I'll get the basic's done, post a pic here, see what you all have to say and make changes from there.
Finding a good tailor is about his ability to advise you on these matters as much as his tailoring skills. Give him a ball park idea of what you want to achieve and then let him tell you how to get there.
I agree, but my main problem is I can't really verbalize what I want to achieve. I see pictures of you guys and your pants look great. So I guess this post is as much how pants should look / fit as it is about tailoring.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Print out pictures of pants tailored the way you like them and show them to a tailor. It won't cause much embarrassment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads