• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
Proper Cloth can make modifications from a J. Crew baseline if you like. Tweak the collar, sleeve, length or midsection width.

We also just upgraded our system to get even slimmer cuts in the chest and waist. We're now doing chest widths as narrow as 19.5 inches. Midsection widths as narrow as 16 inches. Tighter fits have no rear-pleats.

Are you able to get Hugo Boss-type fits on your altered or tailored shirts?

badchad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloStiX
2sweet, as a poor and skinny student, that sounds pretty enticing. Can you tell me the brand so I know what to look for at Target?

I would guess he's talking about the mossimo "athletic fit" shirts. I really like the fit of them, and they're super cheap. Great to use as "undershirts" below a sweater. I've also washed the hell out of mine and they seem to hold up extraordinarily well.

You have little to lose with shirts that cheap anyway.

GloStiX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by badchad
I would guess he's talking about the mossimo "athletic fit" shirts. I really like the fit of them, and they're super cheap. Great to use as "undershirts" below a sweater. I've also washed the hell out of mine and they seem to hold up extraordinarily well.

You have little to lose with shirts that cheap anyway.

Thanks for the info, I'll check 'em out.

2sweet

Reaction score
Thanks for following up badchad; glostix, I believe it's either the merona or mossimo line. There's always a significant selection of dress shirts available; just go there and check it out.

The shirts are ridiculously fitted. If you have anything above a 36" chest, you'll pop the buttons on the small.
smile.gif

2sweet

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's a fine line, I suppose. Most slim fits still leave you swimming in their shirts: around the waist and in the sleeves in particular. Then again, those shirts give you a somewhat sleeker line but plenty of room to move around in. If the shirt's too fitted, you stretch your arms and bust the seams.

The van heusens work for me in the sense of erring towards the side of comfort. Just throw one on and forget about it.

Originally Posted by Seph
Proper Cloth can make modifications from a J. Crew baseline if you like. Tweak the collar, sleeve, length or midsection width.

We also just upgraded our system to get even slimmer cuts in the chest and waist. We're now doing chest widths as narrow as 19.5 inches. Midsection widths as narrow as 16 inches. Tighter fits have no rear-pleats.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hermitedge
Good choices for poor college students, heh.

Do Zara's shirts hold up well after a few washes?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
The buttons just fall all over the place. Get someone to redo the buttons

Hmmm. Do the shirts themselves retain their shape or do they crumple/wrinkle and start to look cheap? I want shirts I can wear with blazers. They have shirts on sale for $35.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Just got my TM Lewin shirts in, they fit awesome. Definitely a good deal for $30 a shirt.
If you don't mind, how big is your drop? Also, if you're in the US, what did you end up paying in duties?

zeero3

Reaction score
I bought one TM Lewin shirt to see how they fit (15/33) and it fits great. I'm not experienced enough to compare it to other makers, but I love it. I'm 5'6"ish and 140lbs ish and it fits VERY good.

Anyone else w/ a Lewin shirt, what do you think of the fabric?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Slim.

They are marked semi-fit and are pretty slim, although not as much as Boss Black for example. But they definitely fit well, I don't feel like I need to get them tailored at all. Quality is nice as well.

Outside of some amazing clearance deals, I can't think of anything comparable for the price or even for $50-60 bucks..

How long did it take you to receive them? I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and am still waiting...
frown.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
They retain their shapes and won't crap out on you but the quality of the stitching is bad

Thanks. For $35 a pop, I think I will buy one and give it a try.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Another positive review for the T.M. Lewin's.. Incredible fit and I'm very impressed with their no hassle, free return policy.

I also really prefer the Windsor shirts to the York because I don't wear ties (apprently cutaway collars look better on me). I wish I had known this prior to ordering as I'm now going to return a few of the York's I got.

Anyways at $30 a pop (for five) this seems to be the best deal out there for young professionals!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Another positive review for the T.M. Lewin's.. Incredible fit and I'm very impressed with their no hassle, free return policy.

I also really prefer the Windsor shirts to the York because I don't wear ties (apprently cutaway collars look better on me). I wish I had known this prior to ordering as I'm now going to return a few of the York's I got.

Anyways at $30 a pop (for five) this seems to be the best deal out there for young professionals!

I just received one of my 2 shipments. I like the fit and the cut of the John Francomb Milan SlimFit. The shirt looks professional and the collar is stiff enough that it doesn't look like it will curl up and the fabric seems good. The Milan collar is a spread collar, which is good for me. At $30 a shirt, it's definitely a great buy.

Will report back in a few days when I get the second shipment - blue (solid and striped) shirts with Prince of Wales (spread/cutaway) collars at $30 each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads