• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what kind of shoes with this suit?

gwydion

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased my first suit last week(well...asides from what I wore during my prom, heh)...

Now the problem is, I'm not sure what brand/style/color of shoes to wear with it. Again, I've never really worn any shoes besides casual/sports shoes so I'm not sure what is "in" right now or not. As I'm still a college student, I only have a $200 budget to spend on the shoes. If you could show a picture with your suggestion, that'd be great or direct me to a store in the Montreal downtown area, that'd be fantastic!

Here are some pictures of the suit to see what it sort of looks like...

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6703/pc221908nw7.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/843/pc221907je4.jpg

I'd like to thank you guys in advance for your help!
smile.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwydion
Hi guys,

I just purchased my first suit last week(well...asides from what I wore during my prom, heh)...

Now the problem is, I'm not sure what brand/style/color of shoes to wear with it. Again, I've never really worn any shoes besides casual/sports shoes so I'm not sure what is "in" right now or not. As I'm still a college student, I only have a $200 budget to spend on the shoes. If you could show a picture with your suggestion, that'd be great or direct me to a store in the Montreal downtown area, that'd be fantastic!

Here are some pictures of the suit to see what it sort of looks like...

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6703/pc221908nw7.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/843/pc221907je4.jpg

I'd like to thank you guys in advance for your help!
smile.gif

Not black.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be tempted by a very dark brown Oxford Cap (I'll leave more local members to specify what you might find in your neck of the woods). In the UK a black Oxford Cap wouldn't look at all out of place either.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I'd be tempted by a very dark brown Oxford Cap (I'll leave more local members to specify what you might find in your neck of the woods). In the UK a black Oxford Cap wouldn't look at all out of place either.

BTW, what the Brits call an Oxford, we Yanks call a balmoral or bal. I'mnot sure what the usage is in Montreal. Ebay's Allen Edmond's store on Ebay is a good place to look.

Will Knowles

Reaction score
Black oxford cap-toe.

element02

Reaction score
Either brown or black. Here are some pics for reference.
tn4_8015629.jpg
tn4_8015391.jpg

Will Knowles

Reaction score
Imaging those pinstripes with brown shoes, at least in my mind seems somewhat comical.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look. it is going to be your first pair of real dress shoes. get black. no matter what people on this board say, if you only have one pair of dress shoes, they should be black. much more versitile and will go fine with your suit.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will Knowles
Imaging those pinstripes with brown shoes, at least in my mind seems somewhat comical.

I agree with this completely. Get the black, since you obviously don't have a proper pair of shoes, black should be your first.

Also, by getting the black you will not need to post in X weeks asking if you can wear that suit and brown shoes to an interview/meeting/funeral etc. (No, being the answer).

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I agree with this completely. Get the black, since you obviously don't have a proper pair of shoes, black should be your first.

Also, by getting the black you will not need to post in X weeks asking if you can wear that suit and brown shoes to an interview/meeting/funeral etc. (No, being the answer).

the eternal battle...

to the OP: If you cant get the full suit, get the pants to a shoe store and try'em with brown, black and everything you find and let yourself be the judge. In the end, you'll be the one wearing'em

... But dark brown are the way to go
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads