• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

chiral

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Chiral, I love your boots so much... How long have you been wearing them for and how often? I think these boots just moved to the top of my list of footwear to purchase.

I've been wearing them for about a year now. Depending on what I'm working on they see almost daily wear, and I've already had them resoled once. (but that was because I was doing work for a few weeks in a volcanic region, and the sole got really torn up)

They look even better than when the pictures I posted were taken, the snow and rain has been good for them. (Dont forget to sno-seal though!)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Toronto weather isn't really THAT harsh.

As compared to what? Toronto has as harsh weather as any other major city in Canada. Winnipeg and Edmonton might get more snow, but Toronto gets enough to warrant special consideration if you're ever likely to walk anywhere but a public sidewalk.

I live in Calgary, and while we have no snow right now, we will have some soon enough, for which I have Tigleys. I only walk to and from the train station, and through the occasional puddle when the weather warms up. If I walked much more, I would have to find a proper pair of footwear for the season.

korce

Reaction score
Got another pic of the Dayton's taken for me. They look pretty sweet. Apparently they are made of the same leather Wings + Horns chose for their boots as well, just minus the distressing. I'm not totally sure if I like the "patterned" appearance of it though. According to the sales rep the leather has a great hand, and is VERY soft. What do others think? I know the pic isn't great - but better than the last one at least.

dscn1932dh0.jpg

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say go for it, though personally I like the grey ones better. Maybe it's the leather laces

korce

Reaction score
Yea, I like the leather laces better too. I would try to see if they have any black leather laces floating around and get them to throw in a pair for sure. The grey is nice, but I'm not sure if its the same leather, it looks almost like nubuck in the picture. And, the grey boots have a leather sole - not really winter practical.

I'll be in Vancouver in Feb. so could check them out in person then, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long. The lower pricepoint of the LL Bean Katahdin's is pretty appealling too...

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Yea, I like the leather laces better too. I would try to see if they have any black leather laces floating around and get them to throw in a pair for sure. The grey is nice, but I'm not sure if its the same leather, it looks almost like nubuck in the picture. And, the grey boots have a leather sole - not really winter practical.

I'll be in Vancouver in Feb. so could check them out in person then, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long. The lower pricepoint of the LL Bean Katahdin's is pretty appealling too...

You could always get a cobbler to put commando soles over the leather soles... but the dayton boots are really cool

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat (I stopped reading after a few pages) but I love my Merrell Wilderness boots: waterproof (Goretex with a bellowed tongue), not too chunky and fabricated from a single piece of leather, they actually take a shine nicely and because of their Norwegian welt construction, a cobbler can replace the sole if you wear it out (they can take years of hard wear before this happens). Take care of them they'll last a lifetime. I just came in from shoveling the front sidewalk in mine, great boots! And they look great with jeans or with a thick wool dress pant. They've been made the same way since long before Merrell turned into...well what Merrell has turned into.

BLK.jpg

korce

Reaction score
^Nice! My friend had some serious boots this weekend that he got for free from a theatre/puppet company. They were called the "Herman Survivor Boot" - amazingly well-worn, but still with so much life left. Super-thick brown leather and speedhooks. Definitely a beautiful piece of workwear. EDIT: Just found this short wiki about them http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_...survivor_boots Sounds like you can't get the same thing anywhere anymore...

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Sorry if this is a repeat (I stopped reading after a few pages) but I love my Merrell Wilderness boots: waterproof (Goretex with a bellowed tongue), not too chunky and fabricated from a single piece of leather, they actually take a shine nicely and because of their Norwegian welt construction, a cobbler can replace the sole if you wear it out (they can take years of hard wear before this happens). Take care of them they'll last a lifetime. I just came in from shoveling the front sidewalk in mine, great boots! And they look great with jeans or with a thick wool dress pant. They've been made the same way since long before Merrell turned into...well what Merrell has turned into.

BLK.jpg

It pisses me off they don't make this boot in a shade of brown. I would buy buy it today. Anyone know if they used to make if the wilderness was every made in anything other than black?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They did make a Wilderness in brown once, I got mine around 1990, and they are 7 hole instead of 6 (three speed laces). I have the black pictured as well. The brown ones are beat to hell though, I worked in a friend's metal shop and learned to weld in them. They have a lot a character.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
@chiral: How good is the performance of the sole of the Katadhin's on snow & ice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads