• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream bag or luggage

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could have a piece of custom luggage made to your specifications using normal materials such as nylon, leather or twill, what would you want?

For me, I don't think the dream gym bag has been made. I'd want it not too big but with plenty of pockets for my iPod, grooming supplies, a waterproof place for damp or wet clothing and a place for my shoes, along with a shoulder strap. I'd like it made of nice twill and leather for a traditional sporty look.

What kind of custom bag would you want?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would love to find an unused sample of this case that A. G. Fronzoni did for Valextra back in the 1970s:

fronzoni_case_1.jpg

It would have to be made bespoke otherwise.

- B

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
B,

Valextra still produces this case in the current catalogue, don't they (the "Premier")? I think I remember seeing these in Japan just a few years back new. I agree that it's one of the classic cases... simple, chic... no nonsense.

Anyway, I don't know exactly what my "dream" case would be... probably I'd have April in Paris make me a custom large shopping-style top-handled tote in her dark cocoa/espresso "millenium" alligator... it's the one that's not shiny but not matte... sort of in between. I've got the exact shape and style in mind... but just not the $17K to make it happen (haha).

mljones99

Reaction score
Graphite Hermes HAC 50 in Vache Fjord w/ Ruthenium hardware.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the perfect duffel bag has been designed yet either. I want one with more inside pockets, zippers, etc. to stash and organize my small stuff as well as at least two outside pockets. I like the classic twill and leather look and want it carry-on size with a shoulder strap.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
B,

Valextra still produces this case in the current catalogue, don't they (the "Premier")? I think I remember seeing these in Japan just a few years back new. I agree that it's one of the classic cases... simple, chic... no nonsense.

Hot diggity dog...thanks...never occurred to me it was still made since I've never seen a contemporary sample of it.

Anyway, I don't know exactly what my "dream" case would be... probably I'd have April in Paris make me a custom large shopping-style top-handled tote in her dark cocoa/espresso "millenium" alligator... it's the one that's not shiny but not matte... sort of in between. I've got the exact shape and style in mind... but just not the $17K to make it happen (haha).

Ha! I plan on starting small...I plan on sending her some Russia "calf" (the submerged reindeer hide) to be made into a watch strap.

I have to consult with Foo's internet father first.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I would love to find an unused sample of this case that A. G. Fronzoni did for Valextra back in the 1970s:

fronzoni_case_1.jpg

It would have to be made bespoke otherwise.

- B

I used to have one. Great design, but the engineering was terrible. Returned it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hot diggity dog...thanks...never occurred to me it was still made since I've never seen a contemporary sample of it.

- B

Barneys in NYC carries the full line, IIRC (or maybe Saks? one of the two). Anyway, I don't know current retail, but the ones I saw were in the $1500-1800 range, IIRC.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have to consult with Foo's internet father first.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I used to have one. Great design, but the engineering was terrible. Returned it.

That was fast. Thanks.

What didn't you like about it? I'm generally undemanding in terms of how much I actually carry in a case.

I'll PM you later about the band after the raw material gets into my hands.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Barneys in NYC carries the full line, IIRC (or maybe Saks? one of the two). Anyway, I don't know current retail, but the ones I saw were in the $1500-1800 range, IIRC.

I feel like the country cousin who hasn't been in the big city for awhile.

I'll check it out...I literally thought that they weren't in production anymore, and it is pleasant to be corrected.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was fine for holding things, but the clasp mechanism, which is beautiful in that it hides almost all of the working parts, doesn't actually stay closed. It creeps open all of the time. I had two, both white leather. The first I returned for the second, and both had the same problem. Maybe they have fixed it all now. FWIW, I love Fronzoni, and always wanted a house full of his furniture. Unfortunately, it is too uncomfortable, even for me.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like the country cousin who hasn't been in the big city for awhile. I'll check it out...I literally thought that they weren't in production anymore, and it is pleasant to be corrected. - B
If you aren't near NYC, call the flagship barneys and ask for Aggie... she is pretty helpful and can get you current info on the line and the pricing. I THINK that Barney's is the only place in the USA that carries Valextra... but they may have added more sales points since last I purchased anything (which has been a coupla years).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It was fine for holding things, but the clasp mechanism, which is beautiful in that it hides almost all of the working parts, doesn't actually stay closed. It creeps open all of the time. I had two, both white leather. The first I returned for the second, and both had the same problem. Maybe they have fixed it all now. FWIW, I love Fronzoni, and always wanted a house full of his furniture. Unfortunately, it is too uncomfortable, even for me.

Not to sound stupid but...it looks like a zipper to me

are you saying the zipper creeps open because that seems like it would take a long time and be easy to rezip

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads