• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell color variation problem?

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of threads about Shell Cordovan, but I don't think my question has been specifically addressed.

Here is the issue. I just bought a pair of New Alden Shell bluchers. They are new condition, but they are slightly different shades. That is, although both shoes are #8, the right shoe is slightly lighter in color than the left shoe. I am not sure how noticeable it is (I don't have them in hand yet), but I wanted to get some input now on the general proposition of altering the shade of burgundy on Cordovan leather. Considering the price, I figured this issue was worth the shot.

I know people like the slight variations, and without having the shoes in hand yet, I do not know how much variation there really is. That said, does anyone have any suggestions at what I can do do slightly and safely get the colors closer to match? Either lighten one or darken one?

I've been told I can use a very small amount of Kiwi cordovan color wax, or even leave them out in some sunlight for a period. Are either of these recommended? Am I stuck with slightly differing colored shoes?

Thanks for any help you all have. I am definitely not the shell expert, but I know a lot of you are.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my Marteganni shells. I have no solution.

Eagle

Reaction score
Did you buy or did they ship you a pair that was used as a store display? One may have lightened a bit from long term exposure to sunlight. Or they may have shipped you a pair of seconds. The color matching with a pair od shell cords may not be perfect but, it should not be that noticeable. Should you choose to attempt correcting the problem yourself, try exposing the darker shoe to prolonged sunlight, until you get a more satisfactory match. Good luck

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a shell expert, but here are my 2 cents.

To lighten in a shorttime is nearly impossible. By the way: My local retailer is running like a maniac to the shop display, as soon as the sun comes out, to remove his beloved shoes.

If one shoes has another color than the other because of the sun here are my thoughts. The leather is some kind of dry. Use cream to mantenance the leather. Do not use wax (wax is mostly for shining). After three times of creaming there should be no difference left.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a store display. Leave out in sunlight for a while or under fluorescent lights for a long while.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Sounds like leaving out in the sun is the way to go. Thanks for the tips. Any other advice is welcome. Thanks.

andyw

Reaction score
Considering that these shoes will easily last you 20 years, take the long view. In time, say a year, after judicious waxing and wear, they will both ripen nicely and have this incredible depth of color that will make you forget there was ever a problem.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Considering that these shoes will easily last you 20 years, take the long view. In time, say a year, after judicious waxing and wear, they will both ripen nicely and have this incredible depth of color that will make you forget there was ever a problem.
I take this view regarding my shells. Most of mine have good color consistency but I have a couple pair with extreme color variation.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, that's a good looking boot.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
seems like you need to search a little harder, i asked the same question a month back
smile.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=87668

It was a cursory search, but I didn't see the post. Here is a photo of the shoes. I did not take it (its from the listing) so I can't say whether the variation is more or less severe.

1008RSM1795-4.jpg

Ps, I guess for $125 new, its a STEAL regardless of the color.

If I go the polish route, is the consensus to use AE or Alden cream? I was under the understanding (though with little basis for it) that wax was the way to go for Shell?

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Stick, how has it worked out for you? I assume its a prolonged process, so you may not have the full story, but has the darkening or lightening done anything?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads