• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland, Oregon?

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Check out Le Pigeon when dining in Portland. Headed by chef Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon is creating a pretty respectable name for itself in the food community. I had sweetbreads, beef cheek, and apricot-bacon cornbread with maple ice cream for dessert.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at Craft in LA, I had Maple BACON ice cream. The bacon ruined the experience.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food. Supposedly Apizza scholls is supposed to be really really really good Pizza.

I have a list of restaurants to try everytime I go, but they are so numerous it stops me.

Oh yeah, I love burgerville (fast food) for their Walla Walla onion rings, their "spread" and their great milkshakes.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
The Acropolis is a fun strip club. They have $5 steaks, cheap beer and interesting strippers. They even have a 2lb burger for $8. Filet Mignon (using that term loosely) for 10 bucks WITH a salad bar (yeah).

OMG that place is still there? I got 86'd from that place around 1989 or so for getting too grabby with one of the girls. A couple of years later one of my ex's worked there for a while.

Good times!

injung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
Do you know what time of the year they have this sale?

They always have one at the end of the year for christmas/new year's. As for other times I'm guessing it's somewhat random - I was just there on vacation the week of July 14th when I got the suit (they had racks of stuff for 50% off lowest marked price)

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its at a bunch of saks, i got a bunch of cool stuff at their vegas store in January that was "take an additional 50% off".

i had to pay sales tax though.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go out to Multnomah falls, the McMenanamin's Edgefield in Troutdale has a restaurant called Black Rabbit my brother swears by.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
at Craft in LA, I had Maple BACON ice cream. The bacon ruined the experience.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food. Supposedly Apizza scholls is supposed to be really really really good Pizza.

I have a list of restaurants to try everytime I go, but they are so numerous it stops me.

Oh yeah, I love burgerville (fast food) for their Walla Walla onion rings, their "spread" and their great milkshakes.

Maybe it's just how they did it at Craft. Aside from the shock value of having bacon in ice cream, it just sort of makes sense once you taste it (especially in maple ice cream). All that fat and saltiness, it works somehow.

Apizza Scholls rules, I had that while in Portland as well. Straight up New York style pizza done right. The place seems to have a huge local following, so there's a bit of a wait (we waited up to 45 minutes to get a seat), but fortunately there's a bar and you can enjoy a few pints of the good beers they had on tap. If I remember correctly, I think I had Fat Tire while waiting.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Check out Le Pigeon when dining in Portland. Headed by chef Gabriel Rucker, Le Pigeon is creating a pretty respectable name for itself in the food community.

I think Le Pigeon is considered the best "foodie" place in Portland, with "Beast" coming in a close second. I ate at Le Pigeon and liked it quite a lot. It's just down the block from Union Jack's if that is what you'd like to do after a nice meal.

I hear Pok Pok is supposed to be some really good Thai food.

Pok Pok is delicious, although very, very popular and no reservations, so plan ahead. If you've lived elsewhere with more "gourmet" SE Asian places (SF, LA, HK, Vancouver, Sydney), Pok Pok isn't particularly noteworthy, but it's a fairly new concept to Portland as far as I can tell. I was coming from NY, so it's not that unique but very good all the same.

Other stuff worth doing in Portland: check out Powell's books, visit many microbrews, visit Japanese Gardens and get the heck out of town. As far as I know, Mario's is the best clothing place in town: http://www.marios.com/

Poomba

Reaction score
Definitly visit Blakes, its on the corner of NW23rd and Johnson, i think

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
948066800-00.gif
Unfortunately you will only be able to carry 100 lbs back to your wagon.

brimley

Reaction score
Bumping this. Will be in Portland for a few days after Christmas, advice on fun stuff to do? I see the strip club/restaurant/Blake scene has been covered heavily already.

As an aside, recommendations on fun stuff to do on the drive between Portland and the Redwood National Forest?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Eat at Andina on 13th & Glisan, it's Peruvian tapas that's amazing. Order the Sachsayhuaman, it's habanero infused vodka with passion fruit puree and dusted with cane sugar. Their mojitos are also excellent. Also, bring a flamethrower to kill drug addicts, gutter punks, and hippies.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Bumping this. Will be in Portland for a few days after Christmas, advice on fun stuff to do? I see the strip club/restaurant/Blake scene has been covered heavily already.

As an aside, recommendations on fun stuff to do on the drive between Portland and the Redwood National Forest?

If you like classic video games, check out my friend's arcade Ground Kontrol. Good cheap fun and they serve beer.

http://groundkontrol.com/index.php

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf

Its going to be rather cold, I'll be in town too...maybe you'll see me in that APC coat I bought from you last week.
laugh.gif

Maybe go watch a Portland Trailblazers game? THose are always a good time and you see a lot of great festive atmosphere in the Rose Garden.

I guess Filson opened up a retail outlet out by the Pearl District, I'll check that when I go for sure.

2wn0i6d.gif

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to live at 15th and Alberta, so my digs are a little more local to that: All on Alberta around said intersection: Helser's - Great Brunch. Tin Shed - Good brunch Halibut's II - pretty decent fish & chips for the area Some Weird Pizza place down towards 33rd: Pretty decent pizza, including vegan slices. I always thought Concordia on Killingsworth & 33rd had great bar food. PCG, as mentioned, has a good view, kinda a meat market like it's sister restaurant, Henry's Tavern on 11th. I actually liked the food at Henry's, but not the price. There's some cool small places down in the SE, but I never went to them. The only strip club I went to was Magic Gardens in Chinatown. I got a thing for cute punk rock suicide girls.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics