• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide to Levis models???

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Is there a guide to Levis jeans on SF?

I'm curious which of the following styles will be closest in fit to the APC New Standard or Original Standard:

501 shrink to fit
something else...?

Also, will I be satisfied with a pair of Levis now that I am in love with my APCs? Will the Levis just feel kind of cheap? I have never worn Levis before, but ask this only because they cost 1/5 what APCs cost--don't know how the quality could be close.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
You really ought to avoid the 511's... especially the twills. The quality and fit suck, so just avoid them at all cost. The fit on most levis is whack, you'll totally get negrepped if you wear the 511's.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ What's wrong with 511's? I was actually thinking of picking up a twill pair for 'fits that call for pants that are lighter than APC's and/or occasions when jeans aren't ok, but fuddy-duddy Brooks Bros. khakis aren't necessary.

Anyway, 514's would probably be closest to the NS, although the 514's aren't tapered AFAIK.

GY!BE

Reaction score
i agree w/ robbie on the 511's. Don't waste your time. Poor quality weird cut. But, if you MUST compare (based on slimness) to other jeans

511 - apc new standard
514 - apc newstandard w/ no taper (most like nudie slim jim though)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GY!BE
i agree w/ robbie on the 511's. Don't waste your time. Poor quality weird cut. But, if you MUST compare (based on slimness) to other jeans

511 - apc new standard
514 - apc newstandard w/ no taper (most like nudie slim jim though)

OK, so I get that 511's are shite quality, but what makes the cut "weird"?

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Is there a guide to Levis jeans on SF?

I'm curious which of the following styles will be closest in fit to the APC New Standard or Original Standard:

501 shrink to fit
something else...?

Also, will I be satisfied with a pair of Levis now that I am in love with my APCs? Will the Levis just feel kind of cheap? I have never worn Levis before, but ask this only because they cost 1/5 what APCs cost--don't know how the quality could be close.

On a related note...

Couple questions....How do the 512s compare to the 11s and 14s? And how about to the 01s and 05s? I thought I read that the 12s are slimmer through the leg than the 01s and 05s (like the 14s) but not as slim in the seat as the 14s and have a rise more like the 01s. Sound right? Anyone own the 512s?

Also is there an actual fit difference b/n the 01 and 05? Or is the difference just button fly versus zipper? Thanks.

tatet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^^ What's wrong with 511's? I was actually thinking of picking up a twill pair for 'fits that call for pants that are lighter than APC's and/or occasions when jeans aren't ok, but fuddy-duddy Brooks Bros. khakis aren't necessary.

Anyway, 514's would probably be closest to the NS, although the 514's aren't tapered AFAIK.

he's joking

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tatet
he's joking

ding ding ding!

I own 2 pairs, and with any luck will own more as they are the best fitting pant for less than 50$

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Is there a guide to Levis jeans on SF? I'm curious which of the following styles will be closest in fit to the APC New Standard or Original Standard: 501 501 shrink to fit 505 511 512 514 something else...? Also, will I be satisfied with a pair of Levis now that I am in love with my APCs? Will the Levis just feel kind of cheap? I have never worn Levis before, but ask this only because they cost 1/5 what APCs cost--don't know how the quality could be close.
Closest fit to the NS would be a 512 or a 514 without the taper. 501's - boxy as hell. new renditions of it that are available in retail stores are based on the slimmer '47 cut. 505's - slimmer up top than a 501 with a straight leg and zipper fly 511 - skinny jawnz w/ tapered leg 510 super skinnys - way too tight for anyone to wear unless you're a twig 512 - slim top, tapered leg 514 - slim top, straight leg 1966 super slim's - basically a higher rise 511 jean - my favorite fit so far 539 vintage straight - button fly, slim top, straight leg 559, 550, 560, 569 - baggy ass jawnz 517, 527 - slim boot cut with a normal and lower rise, respectively

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
511's don't fit me for some reason. I tried them on and the fit looked ridiculous. I even tried on a sized up pair and they were just too tight in the wrong spots. I can't imagine how tight 510's would be, and I am really, really skinny.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
of course you are going to feel the difference, you can buy levi's at target. i think the biggest difference you may notice is that of durability. i use to work at a coffee shop and i wore the same pair of levi's for 6 months (washed regularly of course) and by the time i left i had to throw them out.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbtbandit67
of course you are going to feel the difference, you can buy levi's at target. i think the biggest difference you may notice is that of durability. i use to work at a coffee shop and i wore the same pair of levi's for 6 months (washed regularly of course) and by the time i left i had to throw them out.

Yes, you can buy jeans made by Levi Strauss at Target, but they are not the same as the traditional or regular Levi's. The ones sold at Target and other similar stores are Levi Strauss Signature and do not have the iconic pocket stitching or tab on the left side of the right pocket.

I don't know what the functional differences are, but they are not the same. I have a pair of the relaxed pair that I bought a while ago and for a relaxed fit pair of jeans, I can't say anything bad about them.

BlueJeanBill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
Yes, you can buy jeans made by Levi Strauss at Target, but they are not the same as the traditional or regular Levi's. The ones sold at Target and other similar stores are Levi Strauss Signature and do not have the iconic pocket stitching or tab on the left side of the right pocket.

I don't know what the functional differences are, but they are not the same. I have a pair of the relaxed pair that I bought a while ago and for a relaxed fit pair of jeans, I can't say anything bad about them.

From the looks of it I'd say they're probably enzyme [stone] washed. I think that's how the companies save a big part of money.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Levi's 511's fit me fine:

Picture201-edit.jpg

I'm happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads