• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you trust female sales associates?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's thoughts on female sales associates at menswear stores is. I'm always a bit leery since they can't have any first-hand experience with the products themselves. Perhaps I'm judging unfairly, but sometimes I have the suspicion that they're less interested in the products, and more interested in getting me to buy lots of stuff (because according to them, everything I try on looks amazing on me.)

It also bothers me a bit when they try to use their subtle womanly powers of persuasion to sell stuff. I've noticed EVERY time I've been in a nice men's clothing store, if there is a female sales associate who wants to sell me something, she will make sure to gently touch my arm when she's talking to me and asking me if I need any help.

Maye I'm paranoid or unfair, but I just find I trust a guy (preferably an older guy) as to a woman when it comes to menswear.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i tried to buy some black label cologne today at macy's; the saleswoman handed me a ralph lauren: polo cologne bottle that was black.
laugh.gif
i then told her it's not just a black bottle but a specific black label bottle; she dismissed me quickly with an air of embarrassment covered by arrogance.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't trust sales associates at all. Much less female ones selling menswear.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind female sales associates because 95% of the time I pretty much know what I want... So, I just aasume thier help to speed along the transaction, and let them tell me I look good in the process.

lizmasc

Reaction score
They're all probably earning a commission for it so it makes sense they'll lie with their teeth in order to sell you lots of stuff. It doesn't matter whether it's men or women, though men can be less false in my opinion.

By the way, I remember reading an article about how, to some people, if they were touched on the arm or the elbow by a stranger they would get a higher degree of trust with them. It's a psychological trigger, I'm not sure how aware or unware that woman was when she did it. I know how it feels like to have a hot chick telling you how great you are and how that does to the ego but you just have to develop an inner self-conscience and look calmly to the mirror and reflect if you feel right with the clothes you're wearing
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

You're right on with that psychological trigger business. I mentioned it because I know they are all trained to do it. It triggers trust, plus guys go ga-ga over an attractive woman getting close to them and touching them.

On an episode of southpark where the kids go to hooters, one waitress explained to a trainee "that simple touch can be the difference between a $5 tip and a $50 tip."

Now that I know how it's supposed to work, I instantly think "she's trying to play me" whenever it happens.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
it doesn't bother me that their trying to cross-sell, a man would do the same, but in a much more forceful manner. i would prefer to turn down a female associate rather than a combative male associate. you have a good point about first-hand experience with the products, but for returns and exchanges, female clerks are probably likely to be more generous. if cross-selling bothered you, it's best not to enter a store to begin with, because it will happen regardless of who is working.

plus, a female is better able to give their perspective on what looks nice and what doesn't. if i am buying expensive clothes, i want to look nice to females, not males.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
I trust them , If they are hot.

plus one

neyus

Reaction score
I don't trust them, they are usually only interested in sex.

There's a store that I work for that employs some lovely looking sales assistants but they also have first had experience wearing the shirts and cufflinks. So it helps.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
On an episode of southpark where the kids go to hooters, one waitress explained to a trainee "that simple touch can be the difference between a $5 tip and a $50 tip."

I am on particularly high-guard when I go there for just that reason. Clearly, it would be impossible for a Hooter's girl to be attracted to some of us.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Hooters girls are so dumb, i don't see how it's possible for any guy to like them. I have the unfortunate pleasure of hanging out with them from time to time, since my buddies girl is one.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
Hooters girls are so dumb, i don't see how it's possible for any guy to like them. I have the unfortunate pleasure of hanging out with them from time to time, since my buddies girl is one.

The last one I met was smoking hot in a white-trashy kinda way. I never buy their sympathy stories about saving for school or a broken home or whatever. I don't think I've been there in about four years.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
It's worst when it's the disgusting older salesladies, the ones who reek with stale perfume and lavishly adorned themselves with jewelry (failed ambition as actress?). I will avoid these like Monica Lewinsky's old underwear.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just curious what everyone's thoughts on female sales associates at menswear stores is. I'm always a bit leery since they can't have any first-hand experience with the products themselves. Perhaps I'm judging unfairly, but sometimes I have the suspicion that they're less interested in the products, and more interested in getting me to buy lots of stuff (because according to them, everything I try on looks amazing on me.)

It also bothers me a bit when they try to use their subtle womanly powers of persuasion to sell stuff. I've noticed EVERY time I've been in a nice men's clothing store, if there is a female sales associate who wants to sell me something, she will make sure to gently touch my arm when she's talking to me and asking me if I need any help.

Maye I'm paranoid or unfair, but I just find I trust a guy (preferably an older guy) as to a woman when it comes to menswear.

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
It's worst when it's the disgusting older salesladies, the ones who reek with stale perfume and lavishly adorned themselves with jewelry (failed ambition as actress?). I will avoid these like Monica Lewinsky's old underwear.
eek.gif

LOL@your username

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads