• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea Boot Recommendations On A Budget

spitfirees20

Reaction score
I know, I know. It's been asked a million times, and I apologize, but I would like to let everybody know that I have been searching for a couple hours now and nothing fits my budget. I am looking for a Brown Chelsea Boot, to be worn almost exclusively with raw denim jeans. The companies I have looked at this far are Charles Tyrwhitt, Loake, Allen Edmonds, and R.M. Williams. I have found boots that are very attractive to me, however they are either too expensive or sold overseas. I am looking for something very, very similar to these:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

My price range is $200 absolute MAX, I'm a college student and simply cannot spend too much money on footwear. Any suggestions?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you ring up Crockett & Jones in Northampton and see if they have anything in your size in the factory store?

CROCKETT & JONES LTD
PERRY STREET
NORTHAMPTON
NN1 4HN

TEL: +44 (1604)-631515
FAX: +44 (1604)-230037
Friday 14.00-17.15
Saturday 9.30-13.15

RyanM

Reaction score
aren't the ones in the links within your budget?

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Why don't you ring up Crockett & Jones in Northampton and see if they have anything in your size in the factory store?

CROCKETT & JONES LTD
PERRY STREET
NORTHAMPTON
NN1 4HN

TEL: +44 (1604)-631515
FAX: +44 (1604)-230037
Friday 14.00-17.15
Saturday 9.30-13.15

Do they have a website or anything where I could have an idea of what I'm looking at within their merchandise before I call? I'd hate to just call up asking for Chelsea Boots.

Originally Posted by remy185
aren't the ones in the links within your budget?

They appear so with the current conversion rate, but where can you buy them in the US? Or has anybody ordered them from the website and had them shipped overseas?

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aussie Peso is low enough that you could probably score a good R.M. Williams for less than $200, including shipping. Check Nungar trading.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
The Aussie Peso is low enough that you could probably score a good R.M. Williams for less than $200, including shipping. Check Nungar trading.

Those prices seem pretty good; can they ship to the US? Also, any suggestions on what style to buy? There are so many, I don't know where to start, plus the pictures don't even enlarge on the Nungar Trader site.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by remy185
just go with these

Sure, I'll put in $200 and you can make up the difference?
smile.gif

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
Those prices seem pretty good; can they ship to the US? Also, any suggestions on what style to buy? There are so many, I don't know where to start, plus the pictures don't even enlarge on the Nungar Trader site.

I went with the Roo Boots in chestnut because - seriously - Kangaroo Boots, and they were about the same price as everything else. I'm still waiting for delivery, but I really only put in the order a few days ago.

If you need to see better pictures, you can go to the RW Williams site, which is actually kind of an annoying site. Maybe better is to do a thread search on Styleforum for RW Williams. There's at least one monster thread with a bunch of great pictures.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
read the post on them by sator.

I gave that a go, and he keeps recommending a "forum special"; later he recommends:

My first recommendation for many forum members will be a pair of chestnut kangaroo Craftsman. Those wanting a sleeker look will be pleased with the Turnout in yearling leather (if you choose a narrow width). Those wanting a slightly more casual look should consider the Yearling. Anyone wanting a jodhpur boot should not hesitate in ordering the Stockman boot, although it will NOT be a wholecut. If you want other combinations of heel style, lasts and leathers you will need to put in a custom order.

I prefer a sleeker look, so I believe I should be looking for the "Turnout in yearling leather (if you choose a narrow width)". Is this what he is talking about?

http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id/135

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is saying that you can make it sleeker by sizes up in length and down in width I believe.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
I prefer a sleeker look, so I believe I should be looking for the "Turnout in yearling leather (if you choose a narrow width)". Is this what he is talking about?

http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id/135

Yeah I was a little shy about sizing down the actual width of the boot, so I went with whatever the Australian code-letter was for "normal". Plus, you have to "special-order" the Roo boots in order to size down the width. "Special-order" was really not much more expensive at all - something like a 5 AUD upcharge - but I figured it would stand a strong chance of delaying the order.

The main difference between many of those models involved the shape of the last. The differences in the shapes were not especially significant to me, but I don't really have a trained eye for such things and YMMV.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RM williams boots for sale in the for sale forum
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads