• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you buy used S.R. Bespoke suits?

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I'm looking at a few stunning suits on ebay from Gieves and Hawkes and am wondering what the folks here think? Some will end in two days and no bidders yet. They seem to fit me provided that the measurements are done correctly.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose if they are mafoofan's old suits then they should fit you well.

jkw

Reaction score
It's really tempting for the craftsmanship and history etc, but in the end it was tailored for someone else, with who knows what kind of wierd body. I would only buy if I could try it on in a store.

However... I did pick up a bespoke dress suit the other day. It seemed close enough to my measurements, and it fits me quite well, although obviously not as if it were formed around mybody

Unless you get tons of measurements, you won't know how much it differs from the "normal" patterns for your size. I suppose it can be a gamble, but if you have enough details you can make a smart buy.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I think you have less chance of a good fit with a bespoke suit than with a RTW suit.

Suppose, for example, the bespke suit was tailored for someone with a low left shoulder and you have a low right shoulder.

Marmot

Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck with the two that I bought. There was enough of a discount that the $200 I spent to get them altered to fit me was well below the what it would have cost to buy them new. But I may also be lucky and have a good tailor.
today.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
if you are willing to buy a second hand suit, and if the measurements look about right, then sure, why not? In that regard it's essentially the same as buying second hand RTW, only better made.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rolled the dice on a pre-owned bespoke tweed suit on eBay. It actually turned out to be an amazing fit for me, the fabric is nice and heavy, and the quality of construction feels very good. The caveat is that the styling is somewhat dated in a way that wasn't apparent from the photos - the pants have a bit of a flare, and the lapel is pretty wide.

On the other hand, my girlfriend loves the "funky" styling, so I guess it was a pretty good deal after all.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably no chance

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
G & H makes true bespoke, of course, and they also (for a while at least ) sold a RTW line at Saks and Barneys I believe. Check which these suits are?

Great user name for you, but it needs an avatar.

Will foo's old stuff fit you? Do a search. Anyone here with over a 100 posts would probably have an idea of foo's measurements
laugh.gif

Foo is mysteriously silent about his pre-Oxxford period. Maybe he has some rookie stuff he could sell you reasonably to get you started.

And if you have the bucks, you could buy his Rubinacci commissions that he doesn't like
laugh.gif
devil.gif

Final word. Be very careful in your own measurements and your confidence in the seller's measurements before you buy someone else's bespoke suit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Foo is mysteriously silent about his pre-Oxxford period. Maybe he has some rookie stuff he could sell you reasonably to get you started.

Not much to say. Pre-Oxxfod I was in college and didn't really wear suits or odd jackets. I had one Canali RTW suit that was way too big for me and a couple of random dress shirts and ties.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Good advice rnoldh. I'm not as experienced as my Dad so your comments help a lot.
Originally Posted by rnoldh
G & H makes true bespoke, of course, and they also (for a while at least ) sold a RTW line at Saks and Barneys I believe. Check which these suits are? Great user name for you, but it needs an avatar. Will foo's old stuff fit you? Do a search. Anyone here with over a 100 posts would probably have an idea of foo's measurements
laugh.gif
Foo is mysteriously silent about his pre-Oxxford period. Maybe he has some rookie stuff he could sell you reasonably to get you started. And if you have the bucks, you could buy his Rubinacci commissions that he doesn't like
laugh.gif
devil.gif
Final word. Be very careful in your own measurements and your confidence in the seller's measurements before you buy someone else's bespoke suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads