• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need new shades, but it seems as though my wayfarers have melded with my face.
frown.gif

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I've tried Persol, but just can't seem to find any that fit me very well, or at least they don't make the style they used to have that fit my face. I hate it when that happens.

ualman

Reaction score
Know that feeling. Some people can wear any kind of glasses and look good, with me it's more difficult to find any which fit me.
Don't give up hope on persol, they have quite a range of sunglasses.

coopster

Reaction score
initiumeyewear.com... had a pair of revolvers. Well made and looked great. (Ohya the glasses under the "lifestyle" section are pretty rough)

Have some mosely tribe defenders now and they are wonderful as well.

Casey

Reaction score
I love the OG Wayfarers but I don't want to pay an extra $40 for a pair of glasses that would tell people that I'm hopping on a bandwagon because I see too many people with them. I probably should have bought them a few years ago when only a few cool people had them... On the other hand, I wouldn't let go of my Dior Homme sunglasses for anything. I think out of all Asians, I am fairly lucky because my facial structure is not as flat as most and I actually have something resembling a 3 dimensional nose. I honestly think I look good in many styles but the fit isn't always flattering and I believe this pair to be a good combination of both.
pPOLO2-4271624_standard_v330.jpg
Is anbyody else as fond of this shape as I am?

tmiller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen
I think it's been agreed that American Optical and Randolph aviators are the same beast. My AO pair in matt chrome arrived today, and it's a really solid piece of equipment...

AO1.jpg

gshen, great glasses. I am about to order some myself, where did you get your from?

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I just ordered some Salt Optics shades. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sell them. They are pretty good bang for the buck Youre basically paying for their lenses. They have "prism free" lenses and most if not all are glass. Your optics out of them will be really good. I would say comparable to the technology of rayban, serengeti, Maui Jims and so on...

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Not going to mention vendor, but got them for $60, so sounds like they are worth that.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
quoting myself

Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Just got an awesome deal on ebay. If these are too feminine (though, the Nebbs seem to be the favorite pick for males here) I will gift them to my girlfriend for her birthday because she would LOVE these.

nebb_yellow_clr.jpg

$30 for new Moscot Nebb Limited Edition Sunglesses in Golden Olive. Only 200 of each color was made of these, they are numbered for authenticity and won't be produced again.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Anyone know if the glass in American Opticals is the same as that in Randolph Engineering. I have a pair of the latter that I really like and would like another in a different frame size/color. If the glass is the same, I'll get them from the cheaper American Optical distributors.

Anyone have both that could speak to this? They certainly look the same, but it's impossible to tell optics quality from a picture.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Anyone know if the glass in American Opticals is the same as that in Randolph Engineering. I have a pair of the latter that I really like and would like another in a different frame size/color. If the glass is the same, I'll get them from the cheaper American Optical distributors.

Anyone have both that could speak to this? They certainly look the same, but it's impossible to tell optics quality from a picture.

To be honest, most people wont be able to tell the difference even if you give them both side by side. Youre basically banking that the distributors are telling the truth.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
To be honest, most people wont be able to tell the difference even if you give them both side by side. Youre basically banking that the distributors are telling the truth.
Well then, I'll count on not being able to tell the difference myself. I'm not flying jets, so as long as the optics are good, a tiny bit of difference between them wouldn't be a huge deal for me. I just have really liked my RE lenses so i was curious.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
RESURRECTING OLD THREAD!!! Is the Flight Gear II 8 Base by American Optical the same as Randolph Engineering's Concorde? I like this one
yhst-44104681358267_2039_876637

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barton Perreira

Two former Oliver Peoples execs. Great styles, lenses, quality, etc. I'm surprised they haven't caught on more here.

http://www.bartonperreira.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics