• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite shirt material?

Hany

Reaction score
Silk is great for the summer.

Otherwise cotton.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not as durable I suppose? I like being able to abuse my OCBDs without mercy.

Are you serious about growing up in the U.S and A.

Chambray is a national treasure. I discoverd it through Ralph twenty years ago. I love'em

Btw, you haven't lived unless, you own one.

PS: They would compliment your Rubinacci's in a blissful manner. Ask your mentor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Are you serious about growing up in the U.S and A.

Chambray is a national treasure. I discoverd it through Ralph twenty years ago. I love'em

Btw, you haven't lived unless, you own one.

PS: They would compliment your Rubinacci's in a blissful manner. Ask your mentor.

Growing up, I knew all about chambray, or thought I did, but always associated it with stuff that I would never wear in a dress shirt. Seeing the S&G swatches was a revelation.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue end-on-end or chambray.

I also love a simple 1" sq. light blue check on white in twill or broadcloth. Perfect for when a white ground is better than blue but you can't go with solid white.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't go past oxford cloth. For me, it does everything I want, and most people I work with know so little about dressing that they don't really care about its 'inappropriateness'. It also makes me look a little more buff than I really am
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Growing up, I knew all about chambray, or thought I did, but always associated it with stuff that I would never wear in a dress shirt. Seeing the S&G swatches was a revelation.

First: I didn't address it at you, anyway. Revelation, that's what I do not get?

As far as I remember fan's Rubinacci's are sport coats and I didn't say, that it is the stuff for dress shirt's.

You would be the "first" to have a chambray with french cuffs and shark collar.
wink.gif

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that we're in the middle of Snowmageddon right now and it is minus 21 Celsius, my favourite shirt cloth is Acorn's Kendal made from 80% cotton and 20% wool. It's warm to the touch.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
First: I didn't address it at you, anyway. Revelation, that's what I do not get?

As far as I remember fan's Rubinacci's are sport coats and I didn't say, that it is the stuff for dress shirt's.

You would be the "first" to have a chambray with french cuffs and shark collar.
wink.gif

Ever the gentleman.

My point is that your contention that Americans ought to appreciate chambray appears to be based on a misunderstanding of the stuff we are used to, the stuff that gets mass-marketed here. It is, frankly, not very good. Certainly not worthy of cutting into a fitted shirt meant for a tie, even a casual tie with tweeds. It's work cloth.

The S&G chambray, on the other hand, is very good.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

And suits, too. But I don't hesitate to wear OCBDs with my suits, so I imagine chambray would be no problem.

Still, I don't really have a need for them. I have all my bases covered as is: (1) OCBDs for casual and less dressy wear, and (2) much finer shirts (mostly twill) for when I want to dress up and iron more.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ever the gentleman.

My point is that your contention that Americans ought to appreciate chambray appears to be based on a misunderstanding of the stuff we are used to, the stuff that gets mass-marketed here. It is, frankly, not very good. Certainly not worthy of cutting into a fitted shirt meant for a tie, even a casual tie with tweeds. It's work cloth.

The S&G chambray, on the other hand, is very good.

My conclusion of this evening/night is, that "we" are all walking in a good direction.

That's what I take home from tonight.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
And suits, too. But I don't hesitate to wear OCBDs with my suits, so I imagine chambray would be no problem.

Still, I don't really have a need for them. I have all my bases covered as is: (1) OCBDs for casual and less dressy wear, and (2) much finer shirts (mostly twill) for when I want to dress up and iron more.

ad 1 sorry for missing the suits. I wouldn't recommend chambray(I know) with dress suits. OMG, I talk like ACAC
wink.gif

ad 2: There's no need. Just have a look. Tongue in cheek: Normally you listen to your mentor.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Riva fabrics.
Various cotten/linen blends.
I like the Kiton royal oxford cloth a lot but forget the maker.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what S&G stands for?

ANdrey

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads