• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pickiness

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I didn't get it, honestly.

Just ask Vox
wink.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
There are still twelve days left...

Worst holiday season ever.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They made me another suit in the right cloth. The unfinished suit is sitting in Naples, awaiting available funds.

That's fascinating...I guess it is too much to expect them to just finish it off for you gratis like Edwin did for me on those trousers.

What would they do with it if you decided you didn't want it? Store mannequin at the flagship Carlyle location?

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Just ask Vox
wink.gif

He told me to start drinking. Which is easy for him to say, it is not even 2:30 on the West Coast.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Have a glass or three of Schilcher and it will all become clear.

Truth spoken.

You never fails to surprise me in a good way.
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He told me to start drinking. Which is easy for him to say, it is not even 2:30 on the West Coast.

Schilcher is "not" drinking. Schilcher is Schilcher, you love it or hate it. But it can bring up the truth.

It descends from Arnies motherland. Try it, and let "us" know.

PS: Just to give you an idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schilcher Go for it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

You don't do the mid morning ombra out there, or the 11:35AM Yankee G&T?

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't comment since my bespoke experiences are all of the Hong Kong variety, rather than the highbrow stuff you guys deal with.

That said, my limited experience is that the less input I've tried to have into the process, the better the result. The longer my list of requirements ahead of time, the worse the result and the worse my satisfaction with the end product. I'm not certain whether those exactly correlate or whether other factors were more important (i.e. different tailors = different experiences).

I have one suit that I'm still struggling with despite the fact that the tailor has already completely remade the jacket once for me at his cost (and at his suggestion after hearing how disappointed I was in how it looked). I ordered it last March and it was supposed to take about a six weeks to complete. It wasn't really wearable until recently and it's back in his shop again because I'm just not comfortable with the fit. It was probably a good lesson that trying to micromanage the process just doesn't work that well.

I had one shirt that I ordered that I wanted done in a particular cloth (a blue glen plaid with a blue overcheck), a white spread collar and self French cuffs. It came back in a slightly different cloth than I ordered (a brownish overcheck instead of the dark blue) and with white french cuffs. I lived with the difference in the fabric, but sent the shirt back for the right cuffs. When it came back, the cuffs were self colored, but were button instead of french. I kept it, but honestly don't wear it that much.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Schilcher is "not" drinking. Schilcher is Schilcher, you love it or hate it. But it can bring up the truth.

It descends from Arnies motherland. Try it, and let "us" know.

PS: Just to give you an idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schilcher Go for it.

Where I come from, alcohol = "drinking".

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You don't do the mid morning ombra out there, or the 11:35AM Yankee G&T?

- B

No, I don't have a trust fund to fall back on, so I need to be productive until at least late afternoon.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

I have one suit that I'm still struggling with despite the fact that the tailor has already completely remade the jacket once for me at his cost (and at his suggestion after hearing how disappointed I was in how it looked). I ordered it last March and it was supposed to take about a six weeks to complete. It wasn't really wearable until recently and it's back in his shop again because I'm just not comfortable with the fit. It was probably a good lesson that trying to micromanage the process just doesn't work that well.

I had one shirt that I ordered that I wanted done in a particular cloth (a blue glen plaid with a blue overcheck), a white spread collar and self French cuffs. It came back in a slightly different cloth than I ordered (a brownish overcheck instead of the dark blue) and with white french cuffs. I lived with the difference in the fabric, but sent the shirt back for the right cuffs. When it came back, the cuffs were self colored, but were button instead of french. I kept it, but honestly don't wear it that much.

Wow.

Good thing you're a man of faith. I would have exploded into a fire-breathing agnostic inferno, and torn limbs would have been everywhere.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, I don't have a trust fund to fall back on, so I need to be productive until at least late afternoon.

Don't confuse Calvinism (of either Calvin) with productivity.

If you ever do write a speech for Romney, inebriation can only help.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow.

Good thing you're a man of faith. I would have exploded into a fire-breathing agnostic inferno, and torn limbs would have been everywhere.

- B

I wasn't all that happy with either. On the shirt one, I looked at it as I had bought a dozen or so shirts from them that I was happy with and one that didn't work out that well.

On the suit...I'm still trying to decide what to do. The dollars involved are much greater (obviously). The guy is a local guy here in Dallas that has a workshop in Hong Kong where everything gets done. He's done lots of shirts for me and was good on those. He talked me into letting him do some trousers and those went fine. Then he talked me into the suit and that's when things went down hill. The jacket is the problem. The trousers are great, the vest is fine (not spectacular, but fine), the jacket is sketchy. But he is just busting his hump to try to make me happy...I'm just getting "deal fatigue" on it.

I recently gave the guy a second chance and let him do an overcoat for me. Other than the fact that I'm skeptical about the long-term durability of the fabric he recommended, I really like the coat. However, it was a polo coat that I didn't want to be closely fitted, so I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

It has less to do with being a "man of faith" and more to do with being a pushover.

EDIT: BTW, just to be clear, the shirt problem and the suit problem were with two different tailors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics