• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

logsdail or raphael?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Trust me I'm not as annoying in person as you percieve me to be based on reading my posts.

Ditto.

- B

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
From what I have heard, Tom Ford makes a suit just like that. You may want to give him a ring.

musicboohoo[1].gif

It gets old.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif
It gets old.

False. It is tremendously fun and entertaining. How do you think the other thread got to 600+ posts?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't annoy the tailor. Trust me I'm not as annoying in person as you percieve me to be based on reading my posts.

My expectations are not vague - they are general. For example,

I will say I would like the following:
1) Structured shoulder
2) Supressed waist as much as possible but only if it is flattering (lean overall suit)
3) double vent
4) very clean overall suit
5) slightly wider than normal, notched lapels
6) high armholes
7) flat front slim trouers with side-tabs
8) a nice year-round wool that is soft/luxurious but not overly fragile

This is pretty specific yet can serve as a guideline. I would like to goto a talented tailor and say - OK this is the 8 things I'm looking for, use this as a framework. Then he can construct the suit within these guidelines and fit properly to my body and perhaps make some suggestions based on his experience fitting/ etc.

What more do I need to "know" before going to a bespoke tailor? I think its pretty ridiculous to say I need to be a crazy expert like Michael Anton to buy a bespoke suit.

That's pretty much what Chris makes for me. ( I don't get notches tho.) Clean chest, slight waist supression, flared skirt.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
That's pretty much what Chris makes for me. ( I don't get notches tho.) Clean chest, slight waist supression, flared skirt.

Chris is in the Chicago area though, right?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
False. It is tremendously fun and entertaining.

How do you think the other thread got to 600+ posts?

OK so keep it to the other thread.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so keep it to the other thread.
Come on now. You expect to resurrect a year-old thread that was absurd in the first place after the monstrosities you've created these last couple weeks and get serious answers? No, this is much more fun. EDIT: Yachtie, you are a kind and generous soul.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My expectations are not vague - they are general. For example,

I will say I would like the following:
1) Structured shoulder
2) Supressed waist as much as possible but only if it is flattering (lean overall suit)
3) double vent
4) very clean overall suit
5) slightly wider than normal, notched lapels
6) high armholes
7) flat front slim trouers with side-tabs
8) a nice year-round wool that is soft/luxurious but not overly fragile

This is pretty specific yet can serve as a guideline. I would like to goto a talented tailor and say - OK this is the 8 things I'm looking for, use this as a framework. Then he can construct the suit within these guidelines and fit properly to my body and perhaps make some suggestions based on his experience fitting/ etc.

Believe it or not, this list is not really that specific. Other than your preference for structured shoulders and a 'clean' suit (I assume you mean no drape), nothing points in the direction of one tailor over another. With regard to waist supression, there will be a point at which your tailor will tell you it is simply incorrect to supress more; the same goes for the height of your armholes. If he's a good tailor, no matter his method or style, he will give you as much shape as possible.

Double vents, flat front pants, 'year-round' fabric--none are distinctive requests.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Come on now. You expect to resurrect a year-old thread that was absurd in the first place after the monstrosities you've created these last couple weeks and get serious answers?

No, this is much more fun.

EDIT: Yachtie, you are a kind and generous soul.

OK, whatever. Have your fun.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What more do I need to "know" before going to a bespoke tailor? I think its pretty ridiculous to say I need to be a crazy expert like Michael Anton to buy a bespoke suit.

You've nailed it.

I too thought Manton is an expert at many things.

But I hadn't realized that he's crazy.

As for a bespoke tailor, look up Darren Beamann with the search function.

Were you to commission a bespoke suit with Beamann, the thread possibilities would be endless.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to PM, I'm not ashamed:

PICT0325.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

PICT0537.jpg

No drape, no problems.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
You've nailed it.

I too thought Manton is an expert at many things.

But I hadn't realized that he's crazy.

As for a bespoke tailor, look up Darren Beamann with the search function.

Were you to commission a bespoke suit with Beamann, the thread possibilities would be endless.

Manton is batsh!t insane. I confirm it.

AtrociousOfftherack should go to Darren Beaman.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Believe it or not, this list is not really that specific. Other than your preference for structured shoulders and a 'clean' (I assume you mean no drape), nothing points in the direction of one tailor over another. With regard to waist supression, there will be a point at which your tailor will tell you it is simply incorrect to supress more; the same goes for the height of your armholes. If he's a good tailor, no matter his method or style, he will give you as much shape as possible.

Double vents, flat front pants, 'year-round' fabric--none are distinctive requests.

What more of a direction do I need to provide? Can you be specific on what you have told your tailors you would like?

I agree about there being a limit to waist supression & high armholes - I will rely on a good tailor knowing the limits to both of those.

Obviously, "year-round" fabric is not distinctive but what am I to say now w/o looking at cloth? I will obviously need to look at selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads