• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3rd Dress Shoe

stills999

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my office shoes. Online for about $175 each, I got the Allen Edmonds Warren (brown) and Allen Edmonds Westwood (black). Being in South Florida with lots of rain, I chose these shoes for their rubber soles (know some people here don't prefer rubber, but I'm happy).

Anyway, I'd like to get a third pair of more formal leather-sole shoes for events such as dressing up a night, formal company dinners, funerals, etc. Online the Allen Edmonds Hillcrest is on sale for $172 ... would this complement my other shoes?

These are my concerns with this decision....
1. The Hillcrest seems a bit casual looking and is styled similarly to my brown Warren. Should I go for a cap toe? If so, would this by redundant because my other Westwood black shoe is already a cap toe? Would a split toe, be a better alternative (I don't mind the style although some do not like it).
2. Is having all three of my dress shoes the same brand AE a bit overkill? I've looked at Moreschi online which also has deals, but have not found anything I like.
3. Do I need to spend more on my formal shoes to find something appropriate? I don't want to spend more than $200.

I like the Hillcrest, but it would be great to have some opinions before 'pulling the trigger'. If this is a poor choice, I'm not in a rush and could wait for other deals. However, it would be good to have these shoes soon for these inevitable occassions.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more formal, you'll want a captoe oxford. Look at the AE Park Avenue for an example.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Regardless of the shoe you select, if you arent rushed for time, you may want to wait until December 26th or so - when the big after Christmas sales hit. They are predicting HUGE discounts this year if the shopping doesnt improve in the next week before Christmas - and that doesnt look likely.

stills999

Reaction score
Good recommendation about the Park Avenue.

My only concern is that this style (in black) does not seem to go on sale. Perhaps the 'classics' don't generally go on sale ... I'm inferring your opinion is that the difference in price (almost double) is ultimately worth it, though.

huy

Reaction score
The Hillcrest looks too casual. I think your Westwood would be fine for a more formal event, but the Park Avenue would be a good choice if you want a leather soled shoe.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stills999

My only concern is that this style (in black) does not seem to go on sale. Perhaps the 'classics' don't generally go on sale ... I'm inferring your opinion is that the difference in price (almost double) is ultimately worth it, though.

Park Avenues(new) sell for under $200 very often on ebay.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eBay. Also look for the Hale and the Byron as they would also work, and I'm sure there are a few more someone else can name.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there that many Byrons around anymore? The style has been discontinued for several years.

The PA does indeed go on sale. I got my PAs in black for $159 at the A-E Cabazon outlet a bit over four years ago.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Are there that many Byrons around anymore? The style has been discontinued for several years.

I got a NIB pair last spring for ~$80 if I remember correctly. They're my interview shoes.

stills999

Reaction score
Seems that there is a consensus that it is better for me to be patient and wait. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks!

southbound35

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my office shoes. Online for about $175 each, I got the Allen Edmonds Warren (brown) and Allen Edmonds Westwood (black). Being in South Florida with lots of rain, I chose these shoes for their rubber soles (know some people here don't prefer rubber, but I'm happy).

Anyway, I'd like to get a third pair of more formal leather-sole shoes for events such as dressing up a night, formal company dinners, funerals, etc. Online the Allen Edmonds Hillcrest is on sale for $172 ... would this complement my other shoes?

These are my concerns with this decision....
1. The Hillcrest seems a bit casual looking and is styled similarly to my brown Warren. Should I go for a cap toe? If so, would this by redundant because my other Westwood black shoe is already a cap toe? Would a split toe, be a better alternative (I don't mind the style although some do not like it).
2. Is having all three of my dress shoes the same brand AE a bit overkill? I've looked at Moreschi online which also has deals, but have not found anything I like.
3. Do I need to spend more on my formal shoes to find something appropriate? I don't want to spend more than $200.

I like the Hillcrest, but it would be great to have some opinions before 'pulling the trigger'. If this is a poor choice, I'm not in a rush and could wait for other deals. However, it would be good to have these shoes soon for these inevitable occassions.

If you can find it for a price you're willing to pay, I would consider the Delray in the Chili Burnished Calf.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval=

I prefer the split toe over the bicycle styling of the Hillcrest and Warren and it would add a third color (tannish) to your black and brown. I think the captoe you have now (Westwood) is plenty formal for a nice dinner (social or work), wedding, or a funeral. The Delray is definitely a step down in formality from the captoe, but I think it's a step up from the bicycle style.

bobbers

Reaction score
The Park Avenue was on sale for $209 at Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale in July/August. Not sure if it will go on sale again later this month.

The Park Avenue is also on the 5 last, while the Warren and Westwood are on different lasts. Consider finding a place try it on first before purchasing it online to make sure it fits.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
For more formal, you'll want a captoe oxford. Look at the AE Park Avenue for an example.

Originally Posted by AintDatRite
Regardless of the shoe you select, if you arent rushed for time, you may want to wait until December 26th or so - when the big after Christmas sales hit. They are predicting HUGE discounts this year if the shopping doesnt improve in the next week before Christmas - and that doesnt look likely.

+ 1 on both. Also, check ebay store

stills999

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
If you can find it for a price you're willing to pay, I would consider the Delray in the Chili Burnished Calf.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval=

I prefer the split toe over the bicycle styling of the Hillcrest and Warren and it would add a third color (tannish) to your black and brown. I think the captoe you have now (Westwood) is plenty formal for a nice dinner (social or work), wedding, or a funeral. The Delray is definitely a step down in formality from the captoe, but I think it's a step up from the bicycle style.

I appreciate your idea ... I have some cheap shoes I regularly wear similar in color to the Chili Burnished calf, otherwise I'd with with you 100%. However, from what I'm hearing, a formal leather-sole black shoe is not important given I have the Westwood. My idea about the need for the third leather sole shoe came in part from posts here saying rubber is less appropriate for more formal/evening situations ... it would be nice to have a 'killer' shoe for such occassions (and just a second pair because I'll be wearing the Westwood a lot). Now I'm not so sure.

Your comment makes me more curious about something I hesitated mentioning. Many loathe bicycle toes while highly respecting AE. I personally like the Warrens (of course would not have purchased them) .. the squarishness is much more subtle and they do not curl up at the front like some bicycle toes from other companies. Were the Warren's on sale because they are a very outdated style? I hope I did not make an obvious poor choice. Come to think of it, my Westwoods, although being captoes, are also pointed/squarish at the end similar to the Warren. Perhaps now I *really* could benefit from a nice formal black shoe that is rounded. Now I'm more confused.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads