• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$10 million shoes....

AintDatRite

Reaction score
A Saudi man has offered $10 million for the shoes of Iraqi journalist/shoe thrower Muntadar Al Zaidi. The offer comes from sixty-year-old Hassan Mohammad Makhafa of Aseer (south west of Saudi Arabia). He's prepared to sell all his properties - which would be going to his sons - to purchase the shoes, which he describes as a "medal of freedom." He apparently has plans to enshrine the shoes.

I'm sorry but... if my dad was about to spend his entire live savings (aka my inheritance) on a pair of damned shoes, I have a feeling daddy would fall down the stairs. Now, if my dad was Bill Gates or Warren Buffett, I would be okay with spending the $10 million on anything he wanted - but not when its ALL the money he has.

Gulf News

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who has the shoes? the man got them back?

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
who has the shoes? the man got them back?

Yes, they gave him his shoes back before taking him to jail. They cant walk around barefooted, ya know... thats simply naaasty and they might step in goat ****.

Somehow he ended up with a broken arm (although, I've seen a few reports he had TWO broken arms). His family's house has also been paid off by some group akin to the way Palestinians homes are paid for after they perform a suicide bombing.

Oh yeah, the journalist that threw the shoes said he 'trained' and practiced for two years. Damn, if I practiced something for two years, I would have at least hit the person at whom I was throwing stuff.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that shoe throwing was pretty spot on though. He got 2 Lobbs off before anyone took him down. If not for GWB's dumbjock quick reflexes, he would have had an amazing lump on his face.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
Somehow he ended up with a broken arm (although, I've seen a few reports he had TWO broken arms).
Call me paranoid or skeptical or whatever (correct term escapes me at the moment) but when I first heard that he was physically assaulted my thoughts were that he was purposely hurt, not by the SS or anyone related to the US, but by people who want to make the US look bad. Continuing the whole torture of prisoners thing. On one hand, I could see it as being a warning by the SS not to try this **** but on the other, I would think that they would be aware of the negative publicity this would bring. It's not like they could break his arm and no one would ever know. It's one thing to hurt him in the attempt to stop/restrain him but another to do it after he was in custody. I never followed up on the case after the shoes were thrown so maybe that was the case but it didn't appear to me that he had his arm broken at the time.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think he was in SS custody, though, was he? He was in Iraqi custody... maybe they decided to get medieval on him.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Call me paranoid or skeptical or whatever (correct term escapes me at the moment) but when I first heard that he was physically assaulted my thoughts were that he was purposely hurt, not by the SS or anyone related to the US, but by people who want to make the US look bad. Continuing the whole torture of prisoners thing.

On one hand, I could see it as being a warning by the SS not to try this **** but on the other, I would think that they would be aware of the negative publicity this would bring. It's not like they could break his arm and no one would ever know. It's one thing to hurt him in the attempt to stop/restrain him but another to do it after he was in custody. I never followed up on the case after the shoes were thrown so maybe that was the case but it didn't appear to me that he had his arm broken at the time.

Special Ops can't discuss their missions. Even to each other. I read this in a Dan Brown book.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Special Ops can't discuss their missions. Even to each other. I read this in a Dan Brown book.

That'd make for an awfully boring briefing objectives meeting.[

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
I don't think he was in SS custody, though, was he? He was in Iraqi custody... maybe they decided to get medieval on him.

It was at the hands of the Iraqi police/military investigators - not US troops. Whilst people over there consider him a 'hero' and are marching to protest his arrest (and demand his release), he is facing some serious jail time... like 15 years in an Iraqi prison (which is probably better than a Turkish prison but not by much).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Figured the SS had him rather than the Iraqis but that makes sense.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they should just let him go, I don't think a shoe counts as a deadly weapon. I would consider it like throwing a pie or a bucket of paint at someone.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were Bush I'd ask the Iraqis to let him go. I read that he doesn't really have a broken arm though. They're saying it's just a rumor started by his brother.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
they should just let him go, I don't think a shoe counts as a deadly weapon. I would consider it like throwing a pie or a bucket of paint at someone.

i'd rather get whacked with a shoe....at least it wouldnt cost me anything....beyond pride.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If I were Bush I'd ask the Iraqis to let him go. I read that he doesn't really have a broken arm though. They're saying it's just a rumor started by his brother.

I agree, it would at least be one good thing Bushy did this term, after all i think he agrees that he should get whacked with a shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads