• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kwilk Learned At Culinary School Today.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Please share!

Also, I haven't the slightest clue of where to get some decent brain (feels weird just saying that!). Any ideas?

Sadly, brains are difficult to find. In the United States, the brains of cows over thirty months old at the time of slaughter are not allowed to be prepared as food. (Last I heard, cow brains are entirely illegal for sale as human food in the UK; same with lamb brains. But this is a recent development, thanks to BSE, and may reverse.) Pig brains taste about the same but they're significantly smaller, so the value-for-effort ratio of extracting and cleaning them is less than that of cow brains.

Most butchers won't sell the brains separately, because although people all over the world consume brains (and they're even traditional in the U.K.), they aren't too popular in modern America. So one option would be to buy an entire pig's head and extract them yourself. But to say that this is a pain ********** would be a gross understatement; unless you have a powered saw and an abattoir you probably can't do it. Your best bet may be to develop a good relationship with a local butcher, be a loyal patron, chat him up, etc. Then ask him to get you some brains and he might do you the solid.

Your chances of a positive response will probably increase if you let him know that you'll make it a semi-regular request. He might be glad to get some money for a part of the animal that he's accustomed to discarding.

Another thing to consider is butchers who serve certain ethnic communities: Islamic halal butchers, for instance, tend to specialize in sheep. Think Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Portuguese, maybe South American. Even classical French cooking uses beef brains.

Or you could try to source some meat and offal from local producers. If you can get the inside line on when a supplier is taking animals to slaughter, you can put in a request for some brains. Let him know you love offal. With a little luck, you'll find yourself with the freshest brains this side of Hawking. Even if this tactic fails to supply you with brains, it's still a great idea for getting muscle meat and offal.

If you want to test-drive the car before cooking it yourself, drive across the border into Indiana and have yourself a fried-brain sandwich.

Remind me tomorrow and I'll give you the recipe. This is enough typing for now.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love T, and his avatar too!

Thanks dawg! I'll try! Also thanks for the info about the Fat Duck. Sorry I never replied.

T knows I've got nothing but love for him and his dog.

No worries about Fat Duck. But remember there are also a number of other good chefs in the UK (particularly London) to work with

K

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen them done with jellied cubes of veal stock, or demi glace, if the offal was from a cow. Did the cubes have any kind of taste?

I've actually never had offal before. No sweetbreads, tongue, stomach, etc. I guess I've had chicken liver pate, but I don't know if that really counts.

They were yellowish in color and tasted like a stock so I don't think these were demi glace. You never know though as people use the term demi glace so loosely these days.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
If you want to test-drive the car before cooking it yourself, drive across the border into Indiana and have yourself a fried-brain sandwich.

Remind me tomorrow and I'll give you the recipe. This is enough typing for now.

Cool man. I'll try to check with some local butchers. I'm sure someone at school will know if there's anywhere around here that has brain.

Evansville is a long, long way away from me. If I ever make it down there, I'll definitely make a stop and try one. Besides, how can you pass up the "West Side Nut Club Fall Festival"??
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I woke up this morning early, without an alarm clock, ready to go! Just kind of zen so far. I think I'm ready to knock this final out of the park.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Thanks T!!!

K

Don't steal my thunder!
Gimme back my recipe!

-Thanks T-dawg.

Awww damn, that was for you??

Whatever, ok, take it.

K

Nah, you take it. It's hard not to like squirrels that drink.

Nah, you take it. The idea of T's big headed pink dog getting all drooly on me is creeping me out.

Anyways, I am very proud of you for your good grades and performance.

I'll also give you a big GOOD LUCK!! Go get 'em kwilk!!!

K

I love T, and his avatar too!

Sorry guys...GOOD luck to BOTH of you!!1!1

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* I rubbed a hunchback's hump for you today, so I'm expecting stellar news.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
******* I rubbed a hunchback's hump for you today, so I'm expecting stellar news.

Damn, you did that just for me?
inlove.gif

Well I've got stellar news for you. Today was the best day I've had since I came to school here. I came in, and picked the paper out of the bowl. It was #4, so that was the Creme D'Asperges, Filet de Bouef, Sauce Marchand de Vin, and Nouilles Persillee.
I knew exactly what to do. We didn't have any asparagus, I guess the bastards in the early morning class used them all. So I had to make Creme de Champignons. I peeled the mushrooms, got everything ready and made my soup.

The soup was just perfect. Perfectly seasoned, perfect velvety smooth texture, great temperature, it was a really great soup. Got a 10/10 on it!
Then I got my water for my noodles set and seared the filet, and finished up everything else while it was in the oven. When the filet came out, I let it rest on my cutting board while I made the sauce. Plated it all hot, and Chef said it looked great. I got a 10/10 on the perfect medium rare steak, a 9/10 on the sauce--- Taste was 100% spot on, but I served just a little bit less than I should have, and the noodles got a 10/10. Then we always get graded on how well we clean, which I got a 10/10 on.

Then we moved on to the written final. I finished it in 10 minutes and got a 55/55 on it.

So basically, everything was cooked to perfection (or as close as I've ever been) today, I just didn't serve enough sauce. Overall, I had a 104/105 for the day. I ended up with a 99.3% in the class.

Very damn proud of myself! I owned it every single day in this class. Feels good. I'm ready to get back from break and do it again.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good job kwilk. Now make me some of that sea bass in a parchment pouch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, you did that just for me?
inlove.gif

Well I've got stellar news for you. Today was the best day I've had since I came to school here. I came in, and picked the paper out of the bowl. It was #4, so that was the Creme D'Asperges, Filet de Bouef, Sauce Marchand de Vin, and Nouilles Persillee.
I knew exactly what to do. We didn't have any asparagus, I guess the bastards in the early morning class used them all. So I had to make Creme de Champignons. I peeled the mushrooms, got everything ready and made my soup.

The soup was just perfect. Perfectly seasoned, perfect velvety smooth texture, great temperature, it was a really great soup. Got a 10/10 on it!
Then I got my water for my noodles set and seared the filet, and finished up everything else while it was in the oven. When the filet came out, I let it rest on my cutting board while I made the sauce. Plated it all hot, and Chef said it looked great. I got a 10/10 on the perfect medium rare steak, a 9/10 on the sauce--- Taste was 100% spot on, but I served just a little bit less than I should have, and the noodles got a 10/10. Then we always get graded on how well we clean, which I got a 10/10 on.

Then we moved on to the written final. I finished it in 10 minutes and got a 55/55 on it.

So basically, everything was cooked to perfection (or as close as I've ever been) today, I just didn't serve enough sauce. Overall, I had a 104/105 for the day. I ended up with a 99.3% in the class.

Very damn proud of myself! I owned it every single day in this class. Feels good. I'm ready to get back from break and do it again.

worship.gif
worship.gif

Hell of a way to jump into the Christmas break. Good job!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Good job kwilk. Now make me some of that sea bass in a parchment pouch.
Mike Connemara complimenting Kwilk? Holy ****, I have seen the light.
Originally Posted by Thomas
worship.gif
worship.gif

Hell of a way to jump into the Christmas break. Good job!

Thanks buddy!

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike Connemara complimenting Kwilk? Holy ****, I have seen the light.

I'll probably regret asking, but what happened between you two?

Great job. Sounds like you have every reason to be proud of your performance.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'll probably regret asking, but what happened between you two?

Great job. Sounds like you have every reason to be proud of your performance.

Nothing happened, as far as I know.

Conne hates KWilk b/c he's a chubby country hick. KWilk hates Conne b/c he's got an overdeveloped sense of self worth and he's a city boy elite.

I actually liked the kid IRL.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually liked the kid IRL.

Don't blame yourself. You were very drunk.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Don't blame yourself. You were very drunk.

laugh.gif

I am in a great freakin mood. First this, then I thought I wouldn't be able to go home tonight b/c of the weather, but they're supposed to not hit til much later, so I can make it home beforehand. Get to see mom and pops and the gf. Life is damn good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads