• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

armbands revisited

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of those Thurston armbands. While I think they look sharp, nobody knows I'm wearing them unless I remove my jacket to dance with my gf. Even then, most don't notice. I only wear them with otr dress shirts with sleeves longer than my usual 33 length.

BOF

Reaction score
I believe the purpose of those was generally to keep a sleeve at the correct length, which is why when you see them in old pictures the sleeve is generally a little puffed up above it.

Hadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I have a pair of those Thurston armbands. While I think they look sharp, nobody knows I'm wearing them unless I remove my jacket to dance with my gf. Even then, most don't notice. I only wear them with otr dress shirts with sleeves longer than my usual 33 length.

most dont notice? really? when i remove my jacket they seem to become the center of every conversation. its actually pretty annoying always having to explain their purpose. seems like im constantly giving a history lesson.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hadrian
most dont notice? really? when i remove my jacket they seem to become the center of every conversation. its actually pretty annoying always having to explain their purpose. seems like im constantly giving a history lesson.

Mind you, I only do wear them with my few shirts that need adjustment to sleeve length. Last time was at my office Christmas party a few weeks ago. Dimly lit ballroom + shitfaced colleagues + packed dancefloor = no attention given to armbands.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of these that I used with shirts that were a little bit too long. They worked fine and I don't think looked too conspicuous, but in the end, I got fed up with the need for them and just got all the shirts shortened. It's a better solution.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My feeling is that if you have these, you might as well wrap them tight several times around your jumblies until they fall off a few days later.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My feeling is that if you have these, you might as well wrap them tight several times around your jumblies until they fall off a few days later.

- B

Hey man, whatever you had to do to squeeze into those tight bike shorts of yours does not apply to the rest of us!
lol8[1].gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how do you have shirts that are too long?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shirts, just the sleeves on some shirts. For example, certain makers only offer 1 sleeve length for, say, a 15.5 neck. I'll buy my exact neck/sleeve length whenever possible, but I have purchased shirts that had sleeves that were a bit long because I liked everything else about the shirt (collar style, fabric, cut).

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
To add, quite a few shirt makers only do regular and long lengths, similar to tailored clothing. So if your ready-made shirt is just a tad long, these provide a novel solution.

Also, I like to use them to slide my sleeves up a bit when I'm working. It keeps my cuffs and links out from under my wrists at the computer, out of the way of paper work, file folders, etc. I keep a set on my desk for such things.

Plus, I think it's neat to have the accessory.
cool.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them for some old Hathaway FC shirts that are too long in the arm. I never remove my jackets anyway.

dclloyd

Reaction score
I've got a set for a few shirts that are just a shade too long, but not long enough to bother having them tailored. They're useful enough, but I would never wear them without a jacket.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry, its hard for me to understand why anybody would want to wear a shirt with sleeves that are too long, no matter how nice the rest of the shirt is. wouldn't one of the fundemental issues with a shirt be fit?

anyway, sorry to highjack the thread.

LeonM

Reaction score
One of my old school teachers used to wear these armbands. He was otherwise impeccably dressed in bespoke. Always struck me as odd: as others have said, why not get shirts in the correct sleeve length?

Leon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads