• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new photos of suit & coat

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
+1.

::clears throat,assumes lecturing tone::
teacha.gif

Your trapezius and arms muscles are over developed as compared to your deloids thus giving you a greater angle from your neck to your deltoid. This is what is causing the shoulders to fit so poorly. The waist supression only accentuates this as it forces the shoulder of the suit to it's maximum extension, exacerbating the fact that there is nothing there to provide support to the sleeve of the jacket. This may also not be a fault of your workout regimen, your body may just be built that way, I don't know for sure but the current fit of this suit makes you look that way.

Lets examine the TF model you constantly point too (which indicates you want to look like him, despite your protests to the contrary, but I digress...)
daniel-craig-bond-21.jpg

Note here that on the right shoulder of his suit you see the exact same crinkle problem that your suit seems to be experiencing, albeit to a lesser degree. My theory is that this is because Daniel Craig has a similarly overdeveolped trapzius relative to his deltoids, although less so than you.
DanielCraigBBH_468x381.jpg

Note on the photograph on the right he clearly has a large angle from the ouside curve of his deltoid to the top of his trapezius. Clearly the shoulder of the suit is to fault for the crinkle in the shoulders not Daniel Craig's physique. Thus I conclude that you sir, are simply not built for TF. No amount of tailoring will make you fit into that line, short of having, as someone said, "massive shoulder pads inserted into the shoulder. However this would completely destroy the TF look you are going for. I think the following picture of Craig has him in a particularly well fitted jacket
daniel_craig.jpg

Note the softer more rounded shoulder perfectly complements his body type, granted this is from the Layer Cake premire when he was less bulky and more lean, but as you can see the shoulder fits very well. TF is more suited (please forgive the pun) to someone like Chuck Liddell, with very broad shoulders yet a small angle between outside curve of deltoid and top of trapezius. Observe:
00019f.jpg

In conclusion, the suit does not fit well, and will not fit well short of genetic alterations on your part or "TF style" destroying shoulder pads. Of course if you don't care that your $3.5k suit doesn't fit and just want to be able to tell girls at the holiday parties that you're wearing Tom Ford then you're fine. However with the waist supression of the coat giving you Huge Hips/Ass Syndrome, you will look absurd.

Fantastic analysis.

I wish someone could analyze my body and guide me in choosing a perfect fitting garment

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Fantastic analysis.

I wish someone could analyze my body and guide me in choosing a perfect fitting garment

You don't seem too bothered by the fact that you dropped $3000 on a learning experience. Whose money are you spending, anyway? You're young, so I assume a rich dad.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You don't seem too bothered by the fact that you dropped $3000 on a learning experience. Whose money are you spending, anyway? You're young, so I assume a rich dad.

I'm a successful hedge fund manager that is actually up this year. Assumptions only make an ass out of you.
smile.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a successful hedge fund manager that is actually up this year. Assumptions only make an ass out of you.
smile.gif

rolleyes.gif
crackup[1].gif

set you free

Reaction score
Having nothing better to do today, I printed out this thread and the other one and walked in to the Tom Ford shop on Madison. There was a good looking woman in the reception area and I said here, I think you will find what people are saying about you on the internet interesting. She looked at me like I was nuts and started to ask me questions. I was too embarrassed and told her to just read the articles, and left.

I wonder what will happen next.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, for one, don't get the whole analysis about AB's body and the idealized TF suit. We are looking at a suit that doesn't fit properly, people. And before we go about saying it's AB's fault for having the body he has, we should wait to see one that (A) starts off with the correct size (I'm convinced that a 42 was the wrong starting point; and (B) it is taken in properly. This analysis of his body proportions only works if you assume the suit was perfect to begin with and that it was his body throwing off the look rather than the suit throwing off the look. Drawing conclusions about his body and how it is developed is absurd. Maybe you're right that he has overdeveloped whatever, but I haven't seen a pic of AB in a bathing suit, nor do I want to.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I find it hard to believe that a brand like Tom Ford is only suited for one very unique and specific body type.

It very well might be true...I just find it hard to believe.

Its not so much that they are made for one body type,but a range of body types. Through a combination of diet, exercise and in all likelyhood, genetics, he falls outside that range. He very likely could get a Tom Ford suit that fit well, if he did MTM, but the RTW/OTR line simply isn't in the cards for him.

I had the exact same experience when I went to get my last suit, I fell in love with a Dolce & Gabana number (charcoal, ticket pocket, angled flaps, 2 buttons, just awesome), just one problem. I had too much shoulder for the D&G line. Well the SA had me in the tailoring station getting the alterations marked, all the while trying to assuage my doubts about the fit. Thank God the tailor had the decency to tell me that I just wasn't going to fit into it no matter how he altered it (when the SA was out looking for a couple of shirts) and reccommended Zegna or Canali. Went back out, found a Canali that I liked and it fit much better. The SA still got a sale, (despite being a snake) and I got a great suit that only needed a few minor alterations.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Okay John Paulson. I hope you treat your clients' money with a little more circumspection than your own.
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
pwned.
Were you born yesterday?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay John Paulson. I hope you treat your clients' money with a little more circumspection than your own. Were you born yesterday?
Stop being a turd. Your original and follow up comments were quite rude....the source of AB's money has no bearing on the issue currently being discussed. I hate when people count other people's money.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay John Paulson. I hope you treat your clients' money with a little more circumspection than your own.

unlike paulson i do not implement a risk arbitrage strategy - i'm long/short equity - value oriented / and event driven we employ a macro overlay to both generate alpha and reduce risk

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Stop being a turd. Your original and follow up comments were quite rude....the source of AB's money has no bearing on the issue currently being discussed.

I hate when people count other people's money.

agree

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I, for one, don't get the whole analysis about AB's body and the idealized TF suit. We are looking at a suit that doesn't fit properly, people. And before we go about saying it's AB's fault for having the body he has, we should wait to see one that (A) starts off with the correct size (I'm convinced that a 42 was the wrong starting point; and (B) it is taken in properly. This analysis of his body proportions only works if you assume the suit was perfect to begin with and that it was his body throwing off the look rather than the suit throwing off the look. Drawing conclusions about his body and how it is developed is absurd. Maybe you're right that he has overdeveloped whatever, but I haven't seen a pic of AB in a bathing suit, nor do I want to.

You don't need to see him in a bathing suit, just look at the pictures of him in the suit. The line of the shoulder is quite severly sloped from his neck to his deltoid. That is what is causing the empty space between his deltoid and the jacket sleeve, hence the crease/crinkle. It is a critique of the suit. I see it as a bad design to have roped shoulders on a (what appears to be) a lightly padded/not padded shoulder. It's a horrible amalgamation of neopoltian and saville row style shoulders that is only going to fit a portion of Tom Ford's target audience. However that is Tom Ford's vision for his RTW line and there is nothing I can do about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads