• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Casual Elegant' Attire on New Year's?

EriQ009

Reaction score
I will be going out with friends on New Year's Eve, and the establishment in question has a dress code of 'Casual Elegant'. I'm not too familiar with Casual Elegant, any suggestions as to what would be appropriate? I'd really like to dress it up for New Year's Eve, but the 'casual' in the term is throwing me for a loop.

DBowers

Reaction score
I'm guessing that just means no sneakers, no khaki's, no jeans?

Dress shirt + dress pants + leather shoes should do. Sweater optional.

I've never heard you can be "too dressed up" to be allowed into an establishment...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EriQ009
I will be going out with friends on New Year's Eve, and the establishment in question has a dress code of 'Casual Elegant'. I'm not too familiar with Casual Elegant...

That's OK...no one is. It's something someone made up and it doesn't mean anything. Wear what you want.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I would say you are probably good as long as you wear a jacket of some sort.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Whoever made that up probably meant it to be a sport jacket, dress shirt/trendy tee shirt, and trendy jeans. That's my take on it.

EriQ009

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the fact that it will be New Year's Eve will throw more weight to the 'Elegant' side of 'Casual Elegant' attire?

r_fine

Reaction score
This is a real idiosynchrasi for me. Dress codes should be a polite way of giving the people you invite guidance about what to wear.

"Casual elegant" is no help at all, it leaves the invitees confused. So why do people put something like that on the invitation?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just business casual, in my opinion. But since it's not a "business" event, they didn't want to say it. Slacks and a collared shirt.

EriQ009

Reaction score
It seems the responses so far run the gamut from t-shirt and jeans, to slacks and a dress shirt, to a suit. I'm leaning toward a collared shirt and some nice pants. On the other hand, a New Year's evening out, to me, calls for something more special. Perhaps a tuxedo, peak lapel, with a black shirt, no tie? Or would this be exceed the 'Casual Elegant' code?

Agnacious

Reaction score
They wanted to say elegant, but they didn't want people showing up in dinner jackets so they threw a casual modifier on there to soften it.

I would think a jacket would be required (you could call and ask if a jacket is required), but there will probably be people there with just shirt and slacks. I would also say tie is optional. No jeans.

I think they are also trying to ask the women to wear a dress. So many women today think they can pull off wearing jeans everywhere, and they can't.

towen

Reaction score
Definitely a jacket, you could probably get away with jeans, but I wouldn't recommend it. Any sort of tuxedo, even without a tie, would be too formal.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
They wanted to say elegant, but they didn't want people showing up in dinner jackets so they threw a casual modifier on there to soften it.

I would think a jacket would be required (you could call and ask if a jacket is required), but there will probably be people there with just shirt and slacks. I would also say tie is optional. No jeans.

I think they are also trying to ask the women to wear a dress. So many women today think they can pull off wearing jeans everywhere, and they can't.

If the women are going to be wearing dresses, a jacket is definitely required at a minimum. No Jeans. Tie Optional. PS A MUST
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads