• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Me in my Benjamin suit

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I actually just posted this same post in another discussion ("Designing a new suit - what details are you looking for?"), so please forgive me if I'm breaking any forum rules by starting a new thread for this. Moderators, feel free to delete if this is not acceptable.

Here are a few pics of me in one of my Benjamin suits (navy shadowstripe in the Maestro model). While they're not flying off the shelves, we have sold well over a dozen of them. As you can see, this model does have a higher, more modern button stance, and a higher gorge lapel. This was intentional, and as others have stated before, may not be to every single persons liking. In a few months we will be introducing a lower button stance, slightly less fitted (armholes not quite as high) model. This model will be more classic in style - a bit more conservative, slightly more forgiving in fit, but of course will have all the features in a Benjamin suit (full canvas construction, and all the other details highlighted on our website).

All comments are welcome. FYI I'm wearing a 40R/50R. I'm actually a 39R so I had the blades and sides taken in, sleeves shortened, functional sleeve buttons put in, and just the hem on the pants. It's slightly full in the chest for me still.

benjamin_pose_navysuit1.jpg

benjamin_pose_navysuit2.jpg

benjamin_pose_navysuit3.jpg

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice Ben. I'm looking forward to seeing the Lucente model.

crpz32

Reaction score
Looks good. Can't wait to see the Lucente.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll also be posting pics of the brownish charcoal flannel as soon as I get a chance in the next day or two.

The Lucente will not be in until the beginning of January unfortunately - but I'll be sure to let you know once they are up and available on the site.

Toorman

Reaction score
Not blown away but as has been recently brought to my attention you can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
It is hard to tell from the picture, is there any waist suppression? It appears boxy. Also the jacket seems way too long. This is especially noticeable from the side shot.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
It is hard to tell from the picture, is there any waist suppression? It appears boxy. Also the jacket seems way too long. This is especially noticeable from the side shot.

Yes, there is waist suppression - perhaps my photos are not the best... I did ask Pasquale (my tailor) if he could take it in a little bit more, but he just smiled and patted me lightly on my muffin-top waist/hips. Suppression is very easily accomplished to one's liking via alterations by a tailor. Perhaps the photos of our suits for sale on eHaberdasher.com show the waist suppression more clearly. The mannequin is a 38R and the jacket is a 38R/48R. We did not pin or manipulate the jacket in any way, shape or form. We just simply put it on the mannequin, buttoned the top button, and took the photo.

benjamin_bwnstflnl1.jpg

Regarding jacket length, perhaps the hands in the pockets and my poor posture are throwing things off in the photo (I'm actually trying to stand more straight than I usually do). At 29.5" from the bottom of the collar to the hem, I'd hardly say the jacket is too long for a 40R/50R - if anything it's definitely on the shorter side, unless you're a Thom Browne fan.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toorman
Not blown away but as has been recently brought to my attention you can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

I wonder how often one is blown away by a suit in a photo? It's difficult to convey over the internet, and my body is certainly far from perfect... I do know that I feel great wearing it - I like it just as much as my Isaia suits and they fit me just as well. I've received more unsolicited compliments on one of my Benjamin suits (the brownish charcoal flannel) than on anything else I've ever worn. I have some half canvassed garments from Z Zegna and others from years past, but I might as well donate them because the feel of wearing a full canvas garment is a world apart from one that is not. Plus - it's got my name inside!
laugh.gif

Harrydog

Reaction score
I was struck by the jacket length on the 40R. At 29.5" it seems on the short side. The 40L at 31" is more of what I am used to in a 40R. I am unsure whether the overall proportion of the 40L will be what I want.

Ben has a good return policy so I may just take the plunge and try one.

In the past, I have been more than pleased with the four Isaia I bought from Ben. However, on the Isaia 40R I have, the lengths runs 30.75 or more measuring from the bottom of the collar.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
I was struck by the jacket length on the 40R. At 29.5" it seems on the short side. The 40L at 31" is more of what I am used to in a 40R. I am unsure whether the overall proportion of the 40L will be what I want.

Ben has a good return policy so I may just take the plunge and try one.

In the past, I have been more than pleased with the four Isaia I bought from Ben. However, on the Isaia 40R I have, the lengths runs 30.75 or more measuring from the bottom of the collar.

Thanks for the post. If it helps any, I'm a just a shade over 5'10". I very much like the current length of the jacket. I believe you have some of the Cary and Enrico models from Isaia, which do tend to be a little longer than most...

Right now we are offering free return shipping (within the US) for the Benjamin suits - feel free to try both a 40R and 40L - I have a feeling you'll like the 40R better but you'll never know unless you try...

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks decent, in the mannequin pic slightly better. too bad there isn't anything in a 36S
frown.gif

ndw

Reaction score
Suits look really nice at an affordable price! I am just curious to know why no 3 buttons? Is it because of the higher button stance. I'd snatch one up if it were a 3 roll 2.

Alexander Scriabin

Reaction score
I'm very interested in these, but I would be much more so if you offered a 3 button.

I must admit that I'm also a little put off by the extreme low rise of the trousers. 10.75 inches for the trousers for a 40L suit? I'm used to 12 at least.

If you offered higher rise trousers (twin FORWARD pleats and high fishtail back would be asking too much...still, one can wish.) I'd snap up a whole bunch of these suits.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
looks decent, in the mannequin pic slightly better.

too bad there isn't anything in a 36S
frown.gif

We'll have some 36S in late February/early March - solid navy, solid black, and possibly a medium gray (all suit separates).

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
Suits look really nice at an affordable price! I am just curious to know why no 3 buttons? Is it because of the higher button stance. I'd snatch one up if it were a 3 roll 2.

We may do a 3 rolling to 2.5, but likely not for at least another 6 - 9 months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads