• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask Me About Magic

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember watching David Copperfield doing his version of the Dream of Aces trick and being amazed at how easy he made it seem. Realistically, how hard would it be for someone with no experience to do that? Here's the video I'm talking about, trick starts at around the 0:57 mark.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
I remember watching David Copperfield doing his version of the Dream of Aces trick and being amazed at how easy he made it seem. Realistically, how hard would it be for someone with no experience to do that? Here's the video I'm talking about, trick starts at around the 0:57 mark.
That displays a pretty high level of sleight-of-hand proficiency. Copperfield's consultant in these manners, Chris Kenner is very accomplished. Definitely not for a beginner. The basic effect is entitled "MacDonald's Aces" and should be available for purchase at most magic shops, it is not how Copperfield performed it, though.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neat trick and cool video.

Do you play pipe organ music when you do shows Magician ?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How did you do all those tricks you showed me today??

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
^ Haha, that is literally one of the hardest possible things; a product of decades of study and practice.

While I have studied sleight-of-hand extensively, and can accomplish many of those things I am not even close to the unforced elegance and raw mastery that Ricky Jay displays with a pack of cards. He was a student of the 20th century Master Dai Vernon, and is an expert on gambling, scams and cons, as well as an accomplished historian of magic; he also holds several Guinness records. Ricky Jay has had an ongoing collaboration with David Mamet and frequently performs or consults for movies and television where magic is present.

If anyone has a chance to see his touring show it is well worth it, one of the best magic shows there is.

(PM me if you are seriously interested in sleight of hand. A good starting place is Roberto Giobbi's Card College Light, or the venerable classic Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic.)

Ricky Jay is awesome in House of games, really fits the con mood that fascinates Mamet.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Neat trick and cool video. Do you play pipe organ music when you do shows Magician ?
Nope. Just "Final Countdown."
Originally Posted by indesertum
how does david blane walk on water?
Invisible stilts.
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
How did you do all those tricks you showed me today??
Haha, I will trade secrets for clothes....

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever done the trick Blaine does by swallowing a piece of thread from "someone's" jacket, then pulling it out of your stomach?

I have. I actually learned that one trick and performed it for a small crowd on halloween in Hollywood a few years back. It was a rush. I'm not a magician I just went through a phase of studying some magic tricks at one point.

Took forever to track down the book that has the trick in it, along with a bunch of other insane (and dangerous) tricks.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Have you ever done the trick Blaine does by swallowing a piece of thread from "someone's" jacket, then pulling it out of your stomach?

I have. I actually learned that one trick and performed it for a small crowd on halloween in Hollywood a few years back. It was a rush. I'm not a magician I just went through a phase of studying some magic tricks at one point.

Took forever to track down the book that has the trick in it, along with a bunch of other insane (and dangerous) tricks.

I have not as a matter of fact. I understand Blaine always get very strong reactions with it (Despite everything, I am still a pretty huge Blaine fan)

It wasn't the David Ben book was it?

It's wonderful that you had that performing experience. One of my favorite things about magic is you can be focused on all kinds of other things (school, day job etc.) and still bust something out at a party and get that "rush."

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^You should do some freaky Derren Brown trick for a group of hostesses after a show. See what they think. Will they scream? Run? Or will they love it?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^You should do some freaky Derren Brown trick for a group of hostesses after a show. See what they think. Will they scream? Run? Or will they love it?

hahahaha, you're a sweetheart Kyle.

In other news: I am very excited that I may be doing some radio magic (a la Dunninger) on the Washington D.C. NPR affiliate.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I have not as a matter of fact. I understand Blaine always get very strong reactions with it (Despite everything, I am still a pretty huge Blaine fan)

It wasn't the David Ben book was it?

No it wasn't. Info PM'd.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
late reply but invisible stilts? how are there women swimming underneath him. and he starts by walking on land.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
late reply but invisible stilts? how are there women swimming underneath him. and he starts by walking on land.

I have no idea if this is true but I heard when Criss Angel walked on water (over a swimming pool), he was actually walking on a glass walkway and that the people they showed around him were all in on the trick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics