• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I buy a Mac??

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
I guess there's a band - and a type of person - where the Mac makes sense. In terms of what I buy for tech, I'm pretty much unlimited - and the Mac isn't quite gelling for me. In every category I own - Macbook Air, Pro, iMac and Pro - I do spend more per machine on comparable Windows machines, while it seems for many the Mac in their usage mode would be the most expensive machine they'd ever buy.

No doubt there is a premium for Macs but I have found you get more for computer and the after-sale experience and maintenance is far better.

Each Mac comes with iLife which would cost somewhere around $400-500 to replicate on a windows box. You don't really need a virus or security program for a Mac either. And the Genius Bar provides a nice fix it fast option if you live near an Apple store.

I have been through 3 Dell laptops at work in 3 years. My iMac G5 has absolutely no problems in the 5 years I have had it.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
No doubt there is a premium for Macs but I have found you get more for computer and the after-sale experience and maintenance is far better.

Each Mac comes with iLife which would cost somewhere around $400-500 to replicate on a windows box. You don't really need a virus or security program for a Mac either. And the Genius Bar provides a nice fix it fast option if you live near an Apple store.

I have been through 3 Dell laptops at work in 3 years. My iMac G5 has absolutely no problems in the 5 years I have had it.

I'd disagree with the first sentence - the support is, if you strip away the shiny 'Genius effect' and actually look at downtime, pretty dire. I've seriously spent a lot of time at the Genius Bar when I feel I don't have to, and I'm not talking about the waiting time (I have Procare).

And I also disagree with the iLife thing: It'd cost you about $300 through the Dell Store for example to replicate iLife and to exceed it in terms of some function, if not being as idiot-proof. The difference with the Mac is that it's in front of your face so you don't have to go and look, and it's all 'good enough'. And that's what most people who don't know what they're doing, and don't want to search, want. That is the reason why it's popular. Every single iLife app starts to constrict you in terms of capability pretty quickly if you're fast at picking things up.

There is also a difference between desktops and laptops - and a machine you bought which you baby yourself, as opposed to 'just a work machine'. I've noticed many people are unable to make that distinction.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil Shiller is also fun to watch.

He's a snoozefest. No one can come close to what Jobs did for Apple, but even Jobs was losing his touch in the past few shows. I think the iPhone intro was his best performance.

--Andre

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
He's a snoozefest. No one can come close to what Jobs did for Apple, but even Jobs was losing his touch in the past few shows. I think the iPhone intro was his best performance.

--Andre

There is speculation amok that Jobs is stepping aside and that his absence at MacWorld marks the changing of the guard at Apple. Considering how he's resurrected the "brand" (although largely with music appliances and telephones, not computers) I wonder what the future holds for those whacky Cupertino dudes?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
There is speculation amok that Jobs is stepping aside and that his absence at MacWorld marks the changing of the guard at Apple. Considering how he's resurrected the "brand" (although largely with music appliances and telephones, not computers) I wonder what the future holds for those whacky Cupertino dudes?

That has to be in the cards, if not now, then soon. They need a succession plan that's credible to their customers and investors. I'm not sure how they'll do it if it's true that Jobs has had a hand in all their products. Apple alumni at other companies (eg. Jon Rubinstein at Palm) have not been faring so well on their own.

Apple's market share in computers especially notebooks has grown substantially since Jobs came back.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
I'd disagree with the first sentence - the support is, if you strip away the shiny 'Genius effect' and actually look at downtime, pretty dire. I've seriously spent a lot of time at the Genius Bar when I feel I don't have to, and I'm not talking about the waiting time (I have Procare).

And I also disagree with the iLife thing: It'd cost you about $300 through the Dell Store for example to replicate iLife and to exceed it in terms of some function, if not being as idiot-proof. The difference with the Mac is that it's in front of your face so you don't have to go and look, and it's all 'good enough'. And that's what most people who don't know what they're doing, and don't want to search, want. That is the reason why it's popular. Every single iLife app starts to constrict you in terms of capability pretty quickly if you're fast at picking things up.

There is also a difference between desktops and laptops - and a machine you bought which you baby yourself, as opposed to 'just a work machine'. I've noticed many people are unable to make that distinction.

Actually my wife uses the iMac for her real estate business so it sees heavy usage, at least a work machine's amount.

Maybe your local Genius bars are not well staffed but ours in Atlanta are very good. The Lenox store is historically one of the highest sales stores for Apple and the geniuses there have been excellent in my experience.

As for iLife, it is a very functional suite but Apple's pro applications like Logic are every bit as good as anything else out there. We have a large animation community here and I know one of the CEOs of a design company. They use PowerMacs for almost every animator and are the folks behind Adult Swim. They have tested all sorts of machines but they feel the Macs are the best.

Zandros

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Why? What is your point?
I'm not sure I really have a point, I just see these discussions way too often without any evidence. "Macs are virus free." "No, they're not, there's malware for OS X too, so it's also vulnerable." Etc. As I mentioned earlier, I know of two trojans. I'd very much like some actual proof that there is more working malware, otherwise the counter argument is pretty unnecessary in my opinion. I know you said a few, so it's not a jab at you specifically, I'd just like to know.
Originally Posted by huy
You remove it so that your battery doesn't always stay fully charged. This is only if you leave your laptop charged for weeks/months.
True enough, but if this is a real concern, why buy a laptop in the first place? Anyway, removing the battery when the computer's only power source is through the magsafe connector is a little bit risky.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple > Sony I hate my sony vaio laptop.

montyharding

Reaction score
Actually my wife uses the iMac for his real estate business so it sees heavy usage, at least a work machine's amount.

Maybe your local Genius bars are not well staffed but ours in Atlanta are very good. The Lenox store is historically one of the highest sales stores for Apple and the geniuses there have been excellent in my experience.

As for iLife, it is a very functional suite but Apple's pro applications like Logic are every bit as good as anything else out there. We have a large animation community here and I know one of the CEOs of a design company. They use PowerMacs for almost every animator and are the folks behind Adult Swim. They have tested all sorts of machines but they feel the Macs are the best.

Oh - I don't doubt the Geniuses are good. They are for retail tech support. It's how often I have to be there - geddit? - that is the problem compared to anything else I have.

So - the sex change op went OK then?

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zandros
True enough, but if this is a real concern, why buy a laptop in the first place? Anyway, removing the battery when the computer's only power source is through the magsafe connector is a little bit risky.

This is actually a real concern for many laptop users. An example would be a college student returning home during summer break and his main computer is his laptop. He leaves it plugged in on a desk for the entire break because he doesn't need to carry it anywhere like the library or coffee shop like when he was back in school.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Apple's market share in computers especially notebooks has grown substantially since Jobs came back.

--Andre

Yes. But the computer market share gains didn't come until after iPod and iTunes. Jobs is like a dope dealer: he hooked people with the iPod and they bought into the Mac concept as a follow-up to their mp3 jones.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But the computer market share gains didn't come until after iPod and iTunes. Jobs is like a dope dealer: he hooked people with the iPod and they bought into the Mac concept as a follow-up to their mp3 jones.

Agreed. Same thing with the iPhone (as in it prompted some Mac sales).

Have to admit that it worked though.

magnus_h

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
This is actually a real concern for many laptop users. An example would be a college student returning home during summer break and his main computer is his laptop. He leaves it plugged in on a desk for the entire break because he doesn't need to carry it anywhere like the library or coffee shop like when he was back in school.

How about just leaving the battery in? It will be just fine.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I look at it a bit differently.

People bought iPods and saw the user friendliness of the hardware and software and integration ease with iTunes.

Based on this favorable experience, they wondered what Apple might be able to do with its computers and purchased a Mac.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by magnus_h
How about just leaving the battery in? It will be just fine.

You can do that but it will shorten the life of the battery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads