• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The secret to success with women

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
A good opening would be like, "Looks like the party is over here" (say to all the guys), then say to the target, "if I wasn't gay, you'd be so mine." Another good one is like, "Oh my gosh, did you see the two girls fighting outside?" And then make up a story right there on the spot.

Terrible, terrible advice. "Oh my gosh"? Really? "Gosh"? Come on...

Berticus

Reaction score
When she's attracted to you, it won't matter. You can just play it off. For the record, I haven't completely read the Game. Not even the first 100 pages. The only alternative to memorizing openings is to do what I do, and that's to keep a curious and open mind, which is more difficult. Make quick observations and ask yourself questions to make yourself curious, then use that. The thing I'm taking from the book is how to pick up on direction. I didn't realize all of my possibilities until I started reading it. For example there was this one girl she and her group were about to leave, but I made a quick observation, asked myself a question, and approached her. I have no clue what I asked her or what was said, but within 5 minutes, while her friends kept on insisiting they leave, she insisted on staying and talking with me. In the end her friends were rushing us and all I got was a hug. If I had read this book, I would've asked for her number and a kiss good bye. Another example would be the time I introduced the game Three Man. I suppose I was unintentionally the wing man. As I distracted the other guys with this game, my roommate tried to talk to the girl there. Nothing happened between them though. A month later we were talking to a mutual friend, and he said she thought my roommate was a creep, but she was more interested in me. Actually all the girls thought I was interesting. But either way, I was totally clueless about what was happening and ended up drinking way too much. ---Edit--- I say gosh all the time, and nobody has a problem with it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When she's attracted to you, it won't matter. You can just play it off.

For the record, I haven't completely read the Game. Not even the first 100 pages. The only alternative to memorizing openings is to do what I do, and that's to keep a curious and open mind, which is more difficult. Make quick observations and ask yourself questions to make yourself curious, then use that. The thing I'm taking from the book is how to pick up on direction. I didn't realize all of my possibilities until I started reading it.

For example there was this one girl she and her group were about to leave, but I made a quick observation, asked myself a question, and approached her. I have no clue what I asked her or what was said, but within 5 minutes, while her friends kept on insisiting they leave, she insisted on staying and talking with me. In the end her friends were rushing us and all I got was a hug. If I had read this book, I would've asked for her number and a kiss good bye.

Another example would be the time I introduced the game Three Man. I suppose I was unintentionally the wing man. As I distracted the other guys with this game, my roommate tried to talk to the girl there. Nothing happened between them though. A month later we were talking to a mutual friend, and he said she thought my roommate was a creep, but she was more interested in me. Actually all the girls thought I was interesting. But either way, I was totally clueless about what was happening and ended up drinking way too much.

---Edit---
I say gosh all the time, and nobody has a problem with it.

How old are you?

What you've shown yourself is that the more you talk to people, the more likely you are to be noticed. You picked that up from a book? Super, keep up that reading!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Golly gee willikers!

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
How old are you?

What you've shown yourself is that the more you talk to people, the more likely you are to be noticed. You picked that up from a book? Super, keep up that reading!

No, what I picked up from the book was direction. I could've closed when I didn't. The talking and getting noticed happened before the book.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, what I picked up from the book was direction. I could've closed when I didn't. The talking and getting noticed happened before the book.
The best-case scenario from following The Game and the philosophy of the guy that inspired it is that you'll eventually start getting play anytime you want it. However, to do that, you really do have to fit a certain mold, that might not be you, you have to bullshit constantly, with no thought to how you'll extract yourself later (e.g. the "if I wasn't gay" thing; and what happens if you actually like the girl), and you're preying on a certain type of girl, who is relatively easy to hit regardless of whether you do the stock Keys to the VIP approach. It's shallow. And for most, if they stuck with it, would leave them lonely and confused at the end of the road.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You needed a book to tell you to ask a girl for her number?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

I remember when I was younger I was with an even younger friend on a flight back from Chicago with a friend. There were two girls sitting across the aisle from us and my friend insisted he sit in the aisle seat. I start talking to them and my friend joins in the conversation. One of the girls was interested in him so I told him to ask the girl for her number...

'Do you have like...a screen name?'

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I remember when I was younger I was with an even younger friend on a flight back from Chicago with a friend. There were two girls sitting across the aisle from us and my friend insisted he sit in the aisle seat. I start talking to them and my friend joins in the conversation. One of the girls was interested in him so I told him to ask the girl for her number... 'Do you have like...a screen name?'
Early on in college a girl gave me her AIM screen name. I never contacted her.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Early on in college I had a girl give me her AIM screen name.

I never contacted her.

Had you read the book
teacha.gif

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
The best-case scenario from following The Game and the philosophy of the guy that inspired it is that you'll eventually start getting play anytime you want it. However, to do that, you really do have to fit a certain mold, that might not be you, you have to bullshit constantly, with no thought to how you'll extract yourself later (e.g. the "if I wasn't gay" thing; and what happens if you actually like the girl), and you're preying on a certain type of girl, who is relatively easy to hit regardless of whether you do the stock Keys to the VIP approach. It's shallow. And for most, if they stuck with it, would leave them lonely and confused at the end of the road.
Like I said, you take what you want from the book. You don't have to be exactly like them. I'm still gonna do what I do to get into conversations since there's nothing wrong with my approaches. What I do plan on getting from the book is closings and a better sense of direction. If people need a collection of openers, then they can get some ideas from the book. You aren't supposed to be another Mystery or Style. If you copy exactly what's happening in the book, then you're not being yourself, and you're not really taking anything from the book. If you don't want to be shallow, then you can take my approach or my friend's who uses stories. They're, for the most part, true stories. But he'll put a spin on them, exaggerate certain aspects.
Originally Posted by Nil
So what if I did? Now I see I got a lot of "IOI's" and I always took them to be meaningless. It's not to just get a girl's number, it's also to know when to back out. For example, my roommate was talking to a girl at a small party. He was having trouble, I came in and help get things moving along. In the end, I accidentally stole her. We were talking around him, she was leaning into me, touching me, all that, but completely ignored him. So he left. What I should've done after seeing a few IOI's was leave or somehow redirect her to him.

flashback

Reaction score
Game theory and marketing. Don't spoil your target, but don't completely ignore her. Walk into her group and make nice with all the guys so they won't cockblock you. However, don't get too comfortable, make it look like you're ready to leave at any moment. If she tries to grab your attention, neg her. Say how she's grabby, an attention whore or demanding. Phase two --- you isolate her and give her one on one time.

A good opening would be like, "Looks like the party is over here" (say to all the guys), then say to the target, "if I wasn't gay, you'd be so mine." Another good one is like, "Oh my gosh, did you see the two girls fighting outside?" And then make up a story right there on the spot.

Remember the characteristics of an alpha male:
  1. Good smile
  2. Confidence
  3. Well groomed
  4. Sense of Humor
  5. Social center

ugh this **** is so old... speaking as someone IN the community.

if you're inexperienced then you should hold off on giving public advice to people that is at least 3 years old and very out-of-date

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
ugh this **** is so old... speaking as someone IN the community.

if you're inexperienced then you should hold off on giving public advice to people that is at least 3 years old and very out-of-date

Whoa... what is the up-to-date advice in this rapidly evolving field?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what if I did? Now I see I got a lot of "IOI's" and I always took them to be meaningless. It's not to just get a girl's number, it's also to know when to back out. For example, my roommate was talking to a girl at a small party. He was having trouble, I came in and help get things moving along. In the end, I accidentally stole her. We were talking around him, she was leaning into me, touching me, all that, but completely ignored him. So he left. What I should've done after seeing a few IOI's was leave or somehow redirect her to him.
Please refrain from using pick up artist acronyms when conversing with people who do not follow your misguided ideology. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads