• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Let me be completely serious with you: the only thing that will make it right is if they take back this suit, and give you one in a size that fits you better before alteration.

- B

i agree 100%

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
So true. I am sure this works, in the sense that they can either convince or bully people into taking the garment. But I would like to think that it kills repeat business. I guess it doesn't, or they wouldn't do it.

I'm going to bring a group of master tailors with me. I've commissed rubinacci, raffaello, mahon, and fioravanti to come with me

just in case they try to gang up on me

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Let me be completely serious with you: the only thing that will make it right is if they take back this suit, and give you one in a size that fits you better before alteration.

- B

or give him his money back if there no such suit in the store (and none of that store credit shite either...what is he going to get $4k worth of cologne, shoes and accessories?)...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Typically, a number of sales people or tailors will tell you it looks good (the first one will seek a 'second' opinion). That way, it appears less reasonable of you to want a refund or complete reboot.

I've gotten worked over many times, and caved every time. You need to be Jack Bauer to withstand the pressure.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
MrBowTie will be coming with me too.

I guarantee you this will only annoy them. Whether that works to your advantage is your call. But I'm willing to bet that bringing in support will only augment the staff's zeal in insisting the suit looks good.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I've gotten worked over many times, and caved every time. You need to be Jack Bauer to withstand the pressure.

I find that the best way is to just feign stupidity. Emphasize that you don't feel comfortable in it, and with a suit that has as many flaws as this, it's simple enough to keep pointing out why. If you don't become confrontational, but rather guilt them, you will have much better chances of success. "I had such high expectations coming to Tom Ford, but I've been so disappointed by my experience, etc..." There is no satisfying way for even a herd of salesmen to respond to that, as opposed to "This fits poorly," where they can say "no no no it's meant to be like that," or etc.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you this will only annoy them. Whether that works to your advantage is your call. But I'm willing to bet that bringing in support will only augment the staff's zeal in insisting the suit looks good.

I dissagree. If he has someone with real world experience to back up the fact that his 4K suit looks like **** then that means something. Will it annoy the staff that just made a big commission off of him, sure but what the ****, is he supposed to be happy with a suit that everyone tells him looks awfull?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically, a number of sales people or tailors will tell you it looks good (the first one will seek a 'second' opinion). That way, it appears less reasonable of you to want a refund or complete reboot.

I know, that is why I advised AB to hold strong. Sales tactics at the end of the day. But who knows, maybe the sales person will be looking out for AB's interest.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I dissagree. If he has someone with real world experience to back up the fact that his 4K suit looks like **** then that means something. Will it annoy the staff that just made a big commission off of him, sure but what the ****, is he supposed to be happy with a suit that everyone tells him looks awfull?

I didn't say he shouldn't demand a refund or new suit; I said that bringing in a pal to counter the sales staff may easily backfire.

I did not ask for Thom Browne people for their opinion of my Rubinacci jacket. Unsolicited, they commented that the Thom Browne jacket I was trying on looked much better than what I came in with. I just smiled and said it was different. My wife, actually irritated, said that she thought I looked a lot better in my own jacket and its fit was obviously superior. The Thom Brown salesperson just assured more stridently that I belong in Thom Browne and the jacket was perfect for me. You won't win that kind of fight.

In fact, it's best not to 'fight' at all. Bringing in a sidekick makes it look like you are trying to do exactly that.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I find that the best way is to just feign stupidity. Emphasize that you don't feel comfortable in it, and with a suit that has as many flaws as this, it's simple enough to keep pointing out why. If you don't become confrontational, but rather guilt them, you will have much better chances of success. "I had such high expectations coming to Tom Ford, but I've been so disappointed by my experience, etc..." There is no satisfying way for even a herd of salesmen to respond to that, as opposed to "This fits poorly," where they can say "no no no it's meant to be like that," or etc.

good suggestion

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, it's best not to 'fight' at all. Bringing in a sidekick makes it look like you are trying to do exactly that.

Not entirely. depends on how the sidekick presents themselves

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
good suggestion

Disagree. If you play dumb, it just leaves them more room to act like experts and convince you that it fits. You should be clear as to why the suit is ill-fitting and especially when altering the existing suit will not help.

Otherwise, they could easily say fine, leave it with us, we'll take in the waist to give you more suppression, etc. leaving you with the same ill-fitting suit they put you in.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't say he shouldn't demand a refund or new suit; I said that bringing in a pal to counter the sales staff may easily backfire.

I did not ask for Thom Browne people for their opinion of my Rubinacci jacket. Unsolicited, they commented that the Thom Browne jacket I was trying on looked much better than what I came in with......

You see, that is just what I am referring to. WTF is up with these salespeople at high-end stores in the US (I have only experienced this here in the US)? Do they not have training programs? It is just all about a getting a sale.....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
You see, that is just what I am referring to. WTF is up with these salespeople at high-end stores in the US (I have only experienced this here in the US)? Do they not have training programs? It is just all about a getting a sale.....

It's not everywhere. In fact, at many stores, I've received compliments: Brooks Brothers, Jay Kos, Bergdorf (another time, another salesperson), etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads