• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I agree. The tailor altered to body to fit more like a canali than a TF suit. The suit OTR gave me much better silhouette. Although I now realize the shoulders were too small.

I think if I stick with TF I either #1 start over with a 54R or #2 goto MTM

Did he let the waist out when he altered it?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I remember reading the OP's waist was a 34. I can't imagine why he would need the waist let out on a 40R/50R jacket unless its a 7" drop or the OP has a gut.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that the jacket seems to be a bit too small, it's possible that the vents were splaying open and as such, the jacket was let out.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
I thought I remember reading the OP's waist was a 34. I can't imagine why he would need the waist let out on a 40R/50R jacket unless its a 7" drop or the OP has a gut.

the jacket was 52R

I have pants that vary from 34-36 depending on who makes them. Its amazing how much it varies brand to brand

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

If I went to 54R it would of been taking everything (except shoulders) in a bit - perhaps a better way to go

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeezus, there are some critical MFers on this site.

Personally, I thought the originally posted photos of the suit looked good to me. As for the shoulders 'kicking in' a little bit under the sleeve head/ at the shoulder muscle, I don't see this as a huge deal. It may even be possible (others can correct me on this, i might be wrong) but I thought my kiton cashmere jacket did this at first too, but after some wearings I think the more recent photos I posted from a trip to san diego show everything smoothed out quite nicely. I don't have access to the pix at the moment.

As for the "Tom Ford" asthetic, I for one am glad you bought a suit that looks like Bond's and not like those from the TF ads, with their ridiculous shoulders and cartoony features.

Christ, if I would have taken so much criticism on my prized brioni pinstripe, I would have been kinda pissed off.

Anyways, good luck with the suit and hope it works out for you, for what YOU are looking for. As we all know, the general public has not nearly the eye for the tiny details the forumites do. Granted, we ASK for it when we post photos, but I myself do so only to learn from the masters that I think REALLY know what they are talkin about (and I consider those to be quite few, i.e. iammatt, Manton, and a couple of others).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx

Personally, I thought the originally posted photos of the suit looked good to me. As for the shoulders 'kicking in' a little bit under the sleeve head/ at the shoulder muscle, I don't see this as a huge deal. It may even be possible (others can correct me on this, i might be wrong) but I thought my kiton cashmere jacket did this at first too, but after some wearings I think the more recent photos I posted from a trip to san diego show everything smoothed out quite nicely. I don't have access to the pix at the moment.

As for the "Tom Ford" asthetic, I for one am glad you bought a suit that looks like Bond's and not like those from the TF ads, with their ridiculous shoulders and cartoony features.

Christ, if I would have taken so much criticism on my prized brioni pinstripe, I would have been kinda pissed off.

Anyways, good luck with the suit and hope it works out for you, for what YOU are looking for. As we all know, the general public has not nearly the eye for the tiny details the forumites do. Granted, we ASK for it when we post photos, but I myself do so only to learn from the masters that I think REALLY know what they are talkin about (and I consider those to be quite few, i.e. iammatt, Manton, and a couple of others).

Somewhat OT question; is a master a person that dresses well or someone that knows much about clothing? Just thought of that as I pictured Flusser (an inspiration to many on the forum) and he dresses like a lesbian elementary schoolteacher.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've posted up some pictures at various times and took a barrage of negative comments, but after the dust settled i went back to the drawing board and improved my look. You cant take everyones advice, but you also cant avoid everyones advice if you really want to improve.

Afterwards i figured out that cuts like Polo RL, and RL black label fit me much much better then Canali and Zegna. I still wear my canalis and zegnas without fear, but i know if i want to look my best then i should wear Polo RL or Black Label.

Just in my experience.....also in my experience you look pretty damn sharp in the suits you post on WAYWT.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
yes

I am certainly no expert on tailored clothes and such, but it is my understanding that it is preferable to take in, rather than let out...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i agree, if it fit fine OTR in the waist why did this tailor let it out.

I've come to experience that some store tailors havent a clue on a how the merchandise is intended to look, thats why i take everything to a private tailor who knows me, knows what i like, and knows what the look i'm trying to achieve.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the way the suit looks here (I realize I am not Daniel Craig nor quite frankly do I want to be - I am just talking about the silhouette and style of suit)

1craig_175x350.jpg

QuantumofSolace02.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
take the waist in and fix the shoulders.

add the pocket square also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads